Sunday, August 9, 2020

What We're Eating-Ho Hum

     Another week of ho hum meals, but all were fed. DD2 and I got sandwiches the day of the water heater replacement, but otherwise, no eating out or take out from Sunday-Saturday. Total on  H&G/Take Out is now at $211.20 with only  one week gone in the month. Woah-if we do not watch it, we could be at $800 without blinking. 

Sunday: We had eaten a late and big lunch at lake, Sunday night was fend for yourself
Monday: Curry and rice, DH ribs, potatoes, salads leftover form Sunday
Tuesday: Spaghetti with loaded veggies in the sauce
Wednesday: Sausage apple and cheese balls , ramen noodles, corn biscuits DH and I liked these a lot. Our daughter was out with friends and tried one on Thursday-she was not a fan.Sort of a chicken tetrazzini with the leftover noodles  
Thursday: amburgers and homemade fries
Friday:Chow mein and rice
Saturday: Chicken Cordon blues, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob

     We were a little more to the plan of what we had in the house, but after the huge shop last week, I was trying to make sure to use things up. I made two stops at the Kwik Trip for bread, buns, and  fruit. I have some items to pick up at Kohls, so will combine with an Aldi stop so the possibilities below are based on just what we have in the house so could change once I get chicken and additional items. I have a couple packages of both hamburger and taco meat in the freezer, hence why so much in the fairly long meal list is based on ground beef. I can't keep up with packed lunches for DH it seems, so might have to run to the store at least for bread, sandwich filling, and fruit before an Aldi stop, but he could take tuna or egg salad sandwiches or wraps a couple days, if I conserve bread. He could even come home to eat, which would make packing a lunch moot. It's hard to plan leftover nights as I am never sure how hungry we'll be, and we eat leftovers for lunch. I'm trying to not eat down the pantry and freezer too low and restock some staples for potential shortages or tough times later in the year. We have to eat up or freeze the sweet corn and a few other odds and end vegetables in the crisper. No waste mantra! 


  • Penne pasta with Alfredo sauce and vegetables, Italian meatballs
  • Homemade pizza with vegetables and cheese
  • Goulash
  • Burritos or burrito bowls
  • Petit sirloins, baked potatoes
  • Meatballs or just hamburger gravy and rice
  • Rice hotdish with celery and carrots
  • Tuna hotdish with vegetables
  • Tomato soup and drop biscuits
  • Macaroni and cheese and assorted vegetables, biscuits
  • Chili and corn bread
  • Cottage pie and veg
     Yet again, nothing very  clever, or changed from past  weeks and months. I don't want to  wish summer away, but I am longing for comfort foods as you can see with a few items on my list. How about you? Are you in a rotation of the same old as well? Are you eating down fresh foods while stocking back up your freezer and pantry?

19 comments:

  1. We've eaten pretty much all of the (self) prepared meals out of our freezer. We're down to chicken breasts & a few other random ingredients. I am planning to wait until our kitchen is back before we break out the chicken.

    Last night we bought previously prepped burgers from Costco, & they were fantastic. They were fresh (not frozen) & M grilled them, I made an onion/jalapeno/butter/garlic package in foil to put on the grill as a topper, and we had that for dinner. Easy & delicious. We never would normally buy this, as M enjoys mixing his own burger ingredients/spices/onion puree, etc, but this was an easy dish free option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compromise is necessary with no kitchen. The burgers sound delicious.

      Delete
  2. I also am wanting comfort foods as this new pandemic world slogs on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds so good! I've never had curry and I'm reading a book where they prepare a curry dish all the time and it's making me curious as to it's taste. I can't wait for fall so I can make soups and casseroles and true comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not grow up eating curries. Discovered an Indian restaurant about 28 years ago travelling for work, and have been a dan since. It is comfort food.

      Delete
  4. I've bookmarked the recipe for the sausages. Many thanks! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a different take on a meatball- a nice change.

      Delete
  5. I am ready for comfort foods also. I'm burnt out on pasta salads and just trying to come up with something different to go with hot dogs or hamburgers etc. I'm not looking forward to the weather that goes with the concept of comfort foods though. Fall, yes - Winter, not so much. The older I get the less I look forward to Winter. Might have something to do with my husband commuting 40 miles (give or take) one way, every day, for work. I don't rest easy until he walks into the door. One thing I really look forward to are soups - chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle, lentil, vegetable etc etc etc. I love chili but my husband is not a huge fan, so I don't make it as often as I would like to. Right now I'm wishing it would rain. It keeps going around us and we could sure use some. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you chicken wild rice soup fans? My favorite. I'm in the same camp as you. Hate the winter commute.

      Delete
    2. Yes I love soups ( NW Minnesota in winter is definitely soup season) and so easy! Simmering away.

      Delete
  6. I buy loads of fresh fruit and veg because it's the kind of stuff I like. However, even keeping it in the fridge in the basement it's not keeping long so I reckon I will have to start shopping maybe twice a week too, or at least until this heatwave abates. I hate wasting food but I seem to be doing a lot of it at the moment! That's one of the joys of winter actually - never having to worry about keeping stuff chilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh does seem to go bad so quick. I'm quickly adding bits to freezer before it goes bad.

      Delete
  7. do you have a sensational tuna hot dish recipe to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trick is stir bith 1/2 cup mayo and cheese in with cream of mushroom soup and top with bread crumbs before baking. Its phenomenally comforting.

      Delete
  8. I foresee a shortage of many things, so I am trying to add to the pantry/freezer/toiletries. Think about it: China closed down its factories as well during their outbreak. If they are expecting another wave, they will hold back on export. That, along with the current trade situation, and our lack of manufacturing in this country, and, well, we are due for a societal shake up, sooner rather than later. It's a pity--we were once a country that could produce hundreds of tanks in a single week necessary to defeat the Third Reich, and now, we can't even supply hospitals with masks, or stores with household disinfectant. We are the world's laughing stock right now. Odious as Trump is, he's more a symptom of a greater problem than anything else. Our greatness is little more than a memory. C'MON NOVEMBER!
    ::JUMPING OFF SOAPBOX:: For the past few days, I have had a mad craving for steaks, and our freezer is stocked of petite sirloins I found for $3.99/lb. But, as DH took the boys on a trip, the girls and I are holding off on a steak dinner until they return. Dinners have been little more than grazing, as we call it. I told the girls I'd make them chicken lo mein for dinner tonight, which they requested a while back, but the momma cat they brought in threw up on Girl's floor the other day, and it was evident she had worms. She has since been spayed, de-wormed, vaccinated, etc., etc., but the thought of pasta in light of that discovery made the girls' faces turn green. I am still making the chicken, but will put it on rice instead. In other news, I'm am SO SO SO SO glad that I insisted on all hardwood flooring. Why yes, yes I did use bleach water on that nice finish. ::SHUDDER::

    ReplyDelete
  9. We call those dinners, Girl's Dinner. It's my favorite way to eat when no hubs at home. Poor cat, lucky your family found and cared for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I have been ill, we just eat whatever. It is filling but nothing to brag about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been doing a boatload of cooking since Son3 and DIL3 have been here. I am longing for salad meals!
    Your menu plan sounds good to me, it's just too hot here to have to use the oven for much of anything.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.