Saturday, August 8, 2020

Bra Shopping and Other Necessary Purchases

     Both my younger and I are quite endowed in the chest area. As I struggle with my weight,  What I need for support  often defies comfort. I have given up trying to find anything  even close to  pretty. For my youngest, her dilemma is how tiny she is mixed with needing a larger cup size, making options in the store nearly impossible to find. She needs to do on-line shopping, which then is a bit hit or miss. When she was in show choir, I lost track of the number of undergarment we ordered and returned. IF she does find the right combination of size and cup, her petite frame make sit hard to get the right strap adjustment as well, and even adjusting to the smallest leaves a bit of slouch. 

     When I was at my last mom's group before the Stay at Home way back in February, we had a bras fitter/sales rep come. One of her sales line was a bras should not see a birthday. Well if that was the case, I have way too many that are defying her rule-and show it. Last year DD2 bought three new regular and a couple sports bras to start school. She also had brought a few past their birthday ones into her packed clothes for school. We both are spurging and  getting a couple replacements, but the struggle is real again folks. .

     I'm hoping Kohls will have what we need as I get free shipping over $50, have a discount code, plus earn some Kohls cash back. As we look online for bras, I'll order DH a few pairs of Docker style chino pants for work and a couple long sleeve casual shirts. He is loaded with polo style, but doesn't have many casual button up and the couple he has are starting to look worn. For shoes, he sort of just replaces the ones he likes for work, and I'll see if they are in stock. My young niece and nephew have birthdays the end of August, as does their older brother, who will just get cash from us. I already have a bought post Christmas sales item for each, but I'll also check Kohls for suitable back to school sweatshirts to add to their fun item.

     We are debating braving Ikea tomorrow. We did not last weekend, but there are a few things I want to  price out for my office, plus there are some Ikea staples like their locking glass storage containers and stainless/thermos style water bottles. We bought one last year for my daughter and I have propagated it! I'd like to pick up another couple as they are the right  size for a large  cup of tea, not chocolate or coffee, or equally a cold drink  for grabbing and going this fall. Rain is predicted for Sunday and  I just want to get out. I have heard Ikea does a nice job of keeping folks going through the store and out the door. 

     I'm expecting a delivery today of the baby shower items I ordered earlier in the week and a planner for DD2. I have a step stool coming later in the week as well for her. They are not lofting their beds, but raising them for more under bed storage. Apparently they are quite high once raised, She is in an older dorm this year, quite Harry Potteresque, with  floor to ceiling closets that will be great for storing  less used items, but unusable if she doesn't have  safe way to reach the top shelves. 

    Perhaps I'll do a photo haul of all my shopping, sans bras, in future posts. That's as exciting as life will be for me for a while. I'm still of the mindset to be careful with our money as the future of the economy, and our own circumstances are unclear. I'm trying to purge clutter as well rather than add to it, but sometimes, there are necessary purchases and items that make life a bit nicer and easier. Have you been doing any shopping for personal or home items? Is anyone else moving young adults off to school or a first home and helping with a few purchases? 

17 comments:

  1. I feel you on the bra shopping. Some of my sports bras are 10+ years old, and I would throw them away in a heart beat if I could find comfortable replacements. I was playing tennis with Nick this week,and it was clear that my now backup bras have to go. Nothing is less comfortable than a no longer supportive sports bra. :-(

    I've had good luck at Target, but I'm in a reasonably standard size. I find their inexpensive bras to hold up incredibly well, and to also fit properly with minimal effort.

    Hope you find what you need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found enough to make due. I still struggle with sports bras so double up a regular under a sports.

      Delete
  2. I am grateful I have always been rather flat-chested! I cannot remember the last time I wore a bra! It is not a great look as I get older...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In this region, colleges, by and large, are not starting on campus. One by one, I am hearing from recent h.s. graduates, many former students, that they have received notice that the first semester (or quarter if that is their system) will be remote. As such, several have deferred enrollment, and enrolled in our c.c.'s (there are two, each just 20 miles away in either direction), to lessen the financial burden while they work on general requirements. I have to agree with the reasoning--if my only options were remote learning for something like Intro. to Sociology, I'd balk at paying 10 x's the tuition as the community college, when the textbook is the same.
    I woke up after my first was born with absolutely no bustline. I went braless for a period of about 10 years, except sports bras while running or in dance class, until my 4th was born, and suddenly my bust returned again. Now, I can't bear going braless...I need the support. Plus, it's colder here than the southwest. I order mine from Hanes.com, about 1/year, usually half a dozen of the same style at a time. (And I insist that my undergarments all match, unless I am wearing a spots bra.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my daughter junior status, she is almost all in her major requirements for courses. I hope the sound precsutions they take will keep the classes going.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I'm an A cup, decent bras seem to cost a fortune!
    Our friends visited Ikea yesterday - crazy people on the hottest day of the year. They went for fabric, there was absolutely none, and came back with three houseplants instead! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up passing on Ikea. Not enough reason in retrospect to warrant the drive or people. I cant imagine being able to go w/o a bras in public but it is just who I am.

      Delete
  5. Despite all being really slim when we were young, my sisters and I were always "stacked". Now I've put on weight I'm even more "stacked" and I hate it. You know how you end up missing a lot of buses because ya ain't gonna run for one!! When I was last in the UK I went to a "posh" shop, got measured properly and bought 3 rather expensive bras, but by gosh they're wonderful. Good luck hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls have the nice figures I used to. Getting a proper fit is key!

      Delete
  6. Not advocating this at all but I had breast reduction surgery years ago (I still have indents in my shoulders) and my daughter also did several years afterwards. Amazing and life altering. Such comfort and regular bras fit. I joke that I'm 66 and look it except for my chest, about 30 ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting JRE because I've considered it but always poo-pooed it. It's good to hear someone saying positive things about it, so I'll bear it in mind. (N.B. men don't know they're born do they)!

      Delete
    2. If I could go back, Id have maybe done in my 20s or early 30s. I'd be supportive if my daughter felt it would be of help.

      Delete
  7. Having the same challenge, I went to this style about 25 years ago. Great support-limited bounce. https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3546062/dominique-bras-meryl-everyday-front-closure-minimizer-t-back-bra-7050.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't the foggiest how one goes about picking out a bra. This sounds like a daunting task

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.