Thursday, September 24, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Close to Wrapping Up September

      My daughter's birthday is the end of next month and I keep asking her for suggestions for a gift. She keeps responding the same, that she doesn't really need anything. She also can't think of any wants. She has a nice home, a nice wardrobe of which the bulk was thrifted, and as for practical things, the only need she has is a vacuum. She's been just borrowing mine as it's both light weight and powerful. I keep asking so I can shop ahead. But she is practical. She loves travelling and is saving towards buying a house, likely next summer. She doesn't want to waste money now on stuff. I get it, and so that will mean money will be a better gift (along with something she can use now, even if token.). I'll say more tomorrow, but she learned yesterday she is one step closer to launching her arts and mental health non-profit, now that the articles of incorporation are approved. Stuff can't replace a giving heart. I've got a lot of nods this week to my daughter, who I am so grateful for every day.

      I'm dreading cleaning out the refrigerator this weekend as I feel like there will be uncovered things pushed to the back and wasted. Try as I might, I still find waste. I still though am looking for where I can avoid wasting, and making the most  of my time, resources, and money. . 


Time 


  • My daughter and I went to the finally grand opening event at our family members coffee/wine house. The had expanded and distanced outdoor seating in their parking lot behind. We had a coffee and wine and just enjoyed the perfect night air, while supporting both family and a local business. This was the shop that opened three days before the closing of bars and restaurants to anything but take out. She tried to do take out, but was just so new to the her business, they closed for  about a month completely again to regroup. IT looks like they are getting good community support. 
  • Another horrible Vikings game, but a lovely time with my daughter who comes over to with the game with her dad. She brought over three massive  sweet potatoes which I turned into fries-so good!
  • I said it was a daughter theme, she and I also went tot the farers market and to pick apples on  Saturday morning. It was a perfect morning, and felt OK since we got ot the farm early and folks were masked up, even outside. 
  • ON Wednesday, I watched a  Zoom Where it Happens reading of a Friends episode hosted by Gabrielle Union, featuring an all black cast as the six friends. It was an event to encourage voter registration and voting. It was sweet, and I loved the energy. Anything that promotes people helping people register and vote, is a good event for me.
Resources
  • I used the last of a bottle of BBQ sauce to glaze a pork loin and then put with the remainder, pulled, for sandwiches later. I froze for future pulled pork sandwiches. 
  • I actually got the lily planted! Fingers crossed it will take to my  soil and I'll be gifted this spring. 
  •  We held of getting the sprinkler out for watering the grass, and now woke up to a nice light rain that will do the trick. It was starting to get a bit dry here. 

    Money

    • I had both a $2 and a $5 reward survey in my in box and did both. Why not if they'll pay me for my view point. I don't know what I'll do with my $2 bills-I'll have four of them. 
    • I used a free shipping to receiver for books for my husbands cousin's kids and new baby boy. This is one of the cousins that is more like a niece as she is the same age as out older kids. While it won't be wrapped, we could include a nice welcome note for baby and congratulations to the family. I know she saved clothes from the older children (third under age four!) so didn't need them. Her sister is expecting her first baby and as part of her shower there was a book theme. We hadn't done that four years ago for her first, so I think building her library will be appreciated. 
    • I shared my successful <$30 challenge at Aldi yesterday. Apparently though I should have looked for canned pumpkin as this is the next  item to mysteriously be unavailable. I wish I would have known that last month when I bought a big can for pup to mix in with his food. It was in good supply. 
    • Today the furnace guy comes for our complimentary furnace clan and tune up. This was part of the package with the new water heater. I'll just work upstairs when he arrives so pup can hang out with me. 
    • This is a mixed bag of an expense but a savings. DD2 had one more book to  purchases for $80! She and a friend decided to just share the book and coordinate reading when needed. It was only available in the campus book store with no cheaper options, so they did a smart move. She has had more in books expenses this semester than she did all last year. 
         I can't imagine I will spend anything else this weekend unless I decide to get more cucumbers for more pickles. I still haven't made the pepper or fruit jelly/jams, but have all the ingredients and enough canning supplies for 12 jars total. If I need more, I'll just use containers that won't be sealed for use now. If I do get cucumbers, I'll count against my $13 balance, though since I'll be giving things away, I could count as gifts. I'll decide later-my challenge so my rules apply. DH is off today and I think he plans to just putter with his own inside projects until the furnace guy comes. I would not begrudge him watching a movie or something if the rain stays on. That was my week in thrift, whether it was good use of time, resources, or money. How was our week?

    19 comments:

    1. Your week sounds great!
      I would count the cakes as gifts in the budget!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are talking to the queen of typos on blogs. I knew what you meant. I'll only make if I get a good price on cucumbers. I devoured the the jar from my MIL, washed and filled tha toe for my daughter, so I can imagine wha tI have will be gone by early November. Maybe I will do another batch to keep people in pickles through Thanksgiving.

        Delete
    2. I'm about to go grocery shopping! I've been much less spendy than my normal pre-pandemic habits. When I do spend on myself, I have a set budget (I never use my credit card). I love your thriftiness!

      Have a great day! Having a coffee/wine outside in the evening sounds heavenly - we are being subjected to buckets of rain right now. Sigh, but that's typical for this time of year in a temperate rain forest climate!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think the weekend will be right for outside libations as well. I do need a wardrobe refresh but with working from home, it seems silly to spend now, even if I'd like to keep businesses going.

        Delete
    3. I agreed to let DD who is in dual enrollment, purchase an I-Pad. If you know me, you know this is quite a stretch for me. Why did I allow it? Because just one, ONE of her textbooks for a class, used, was $200, but the e-Reader version issue is just $25. Her professor even told them not to purchase the hard copy if they could help it. While I have a Kindle, I figured the I-Pad would last her through the four years of college. There are things she can do on her I-pad (versus a laptop) which will make her distance education experience less frustrating. Since she used a student account to purchase it, she received a free pair of Air-pods with it, which she gave to me to give to Girl for a Christmas gift.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I wish my Nook could download more than it can, but it is an older version, and very basic. It would be good for text books. I-pads have gotten really pricey again. My daughters I-[ad mini, boug tin 2013, officially has died, but she got nearly 7 years out of it and used it a lot. She has a Mac air I think so she is debating if she would like a new I pad or not, or possibly another brand of tablet that is much less expesnive.

        Delete
    4. Sounds like you are pretty well on top of things!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. We have really been impacted far less financially than I was preparing for last spring, yet there is a long road ahead. My son is piecing together work again, but it will be hard to say if he will make enough to cover all expenses by the time things really resume. I feel like I need to balalne supporting the community needs as a whole, with my families own livelihood over the long run.

        Delete
    5. Well the college will figure some way to get back lost tuition and it will be in books. The same thing is happening here.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm not so sure this is what's happening, at least not here. The college's bookstores, while on campus, are run independently from the colleges. It is the publishers who set the prices for the books. I also have a hard time buying, say, the 11th edition of, say, a Botany textbook for my daughter for fall quarter, when the 10th edition was being used by my son for summer quarter.

        Delete
      2. I think for my daughter, it is just the classes she has are a bit more speciality so the price per material is higher. Last year she was in more foundational classes tha tmost freshmen/sophomore take. We got some good news. Base tuition is actually going to go down as they had amore than thy hoped successful fundaringin campaign. We won't see it until net ear, but it will be a help. We don't know if tha tmeans her scholarships might change, but regardless, less out of pocket than we planned.

        Delete
    6. I bought an older edition of a book for $10 while the newer edition was $150, so saved money. But, I had a student right next to me so I could follow along in class. But, I imagine the older edition is the same, basically. The newer edition was consistently two pages off and had one more picture and one more chart. Dirty rotten trick to make money!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I too think there should be enough content change to justify a new edition. Sometimes though, the new edition is just because of print runs.

        Delete
    7. Sounds like you had some great wins, and so happy you were able to support your family member's business opening. What a challenging time to be trying to get a business off the ground.

      We did the standard:
      -Eating leftovers
      -Walking to the store & picking up the Friday freebie
      -Sold a few things on eBay & FB marketplace
      -I did treat my sister to two takeout meals while she was here, but otherwise ate at home
      -Made the most of our garden, & shared a bunch with neighbors

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm getting creative this weekend with leftovers after DH made a two pound box of spaghetti-not sure wha the was thinking. I rarely made that much when we were a family of five a tthe dinner table. I hope her business does well. Coffee shops have com ena gone in our town, but hers is a little unique and absolutely lovely. It's downtown, but a block or two off main, so might help or hurt. With locals it will help, but for people on day trips to our river town, they won't know it exists. It will be my go to place for coffee outings, and I like that they will do wine and beer, so a nice happy hour stop.

        Delete
    8. I'm not very original when it comes to birthdays- a hundred dollar bill and I'd probably make her a vegan cake since you are still socializing. GS will be 16 soon- he gets the $100 and some popcorn balls. Older GS still in the dorm- I guess covid is all around but not in his dorm yet. My nurse sister is quarantining herself again- headache and the blahs. This will be the second time she's waited for results. I was just thinking probably very few colds this winter unless you're around little kids who won't or can't wear masks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You are a generous grandma! Definitely will be finding a vegan cake to make, plus dinner on the Sunday after her birthday so looking for some new recipes. Cash it will likely be along with maybe some vegan chocolate, and the small gift I already got her. I'm hoping since I'm avoiding folks, my December cold will stay at bay.

        Delete
      2. I only have 4 grandkids. I send the nephews (no nieces) $25 until they are 18. I’ve been doing this for several years.

        Delete

    Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.