Monday, October 26, 2020

Holiday Shopping and Small Businesses

      

Photo taken at last year's @shopbachmans
Holiday Idea House

    Last Monday I shared my thoughts on  looking at Thrift stores that are connected to food banks as a way to holiday shop for good. I'm staying on that trend to look at small businesses as another main source for our wants and needs  this holiday season. Some of you are much better at using your dollars already to support locally owned, or small on-line businesses than I am. I'll admit that popping into Target for a one time  shop for all my needs and wants is much simpler than exploring different sources, and I succumb to it more often than being patient. While Target technically is "local" to Minnesota, and I like that it employs dozens of people I know personally in both their stores and corporate, I think small business will feel the impact of my shopping dollars more this year. 

     I invited people to share any links to their small business favorites and will keep that  invitation out there. Each Monday I'll include any new additions. Even if they do not have an on-line presence, or can't do international shipping, but you just want to recognize a great small business, please feel free to include. I think learning about the entrepreneurial spirit of individuals near and far, even if we can't patron them ourselves, is still a way to lift them up. If you have a little story behind their business, please add that as well. The people behind the businesses matter. 

     I'm going to start with Frozen Tundra Co. a little on-line graphic t's, sweatshirts, or just about anything on-line store where you can order  everything from inspirational hoodies to a snarky coffee mug. This shop is owned by DH's good college friend and her daughter, who you can read more about in their about us section. What you won't read is about D's perseverance through unthinkable health and personal hardships, her tenacity for living life out loud despite what others might say are roadblocks. Frozen Tundra is a little nod to karma, attitude, as well as grace. (She and her husband were the couple we were supposed to be going to Las Vegas with, sad face). Guess who's own two girls are getting shirts this year?

     I've also got some readers and their  family to call out as well. Many of you know Belinda at Frugal Workshop. Her daughter Bailey is a young business owner who has a good eye for fashion and previously loved items that might be perfect for someone on your list. Through her Instagram: baileyalexinc, you will find a link to all of her shops. She's most active selling on eBay and Poshmark. of which I have hyperlinked. I also learned Bailey is pretty passionate about the upcoming election-and I love that for young people. 

     Are you planning on giving books this year? I learned Martha at Seaside Simplicity,  a reader and fellow blogger also has an on-line book store. You can find her store at Little Seaside Shop. I'll leave you to connect with her via the site, but I do have my eyes on a book or two. 

     If you are looking for new books but not venturing out to your local books store, they may be partnering with Bookshop.org.  From their Facebook page, which my cousin the publicist referred me to, "Bookshop.org is an online bookstore with a mission to support independent bookstores and give back to the book community with an online platform for bookstores and an indie-friendly affiliate program for writers, publishers, book clubs & media partners." I entered four of my favorite independent book stores and found them all part of the options.

     I'll start with these four referrals for now but over time want to add more links to other small business. I hope to also just feature some businesses as well, even if they do not have an on-line option as ways to promote shopping differently this year-even if it is for my own reminder. I love a god story behind the business as well, so if you feel like sharing, please do. Feel free to link a favorite seller in your comments if you are an e-bay, poshmark, or etsy user. E-mail me, samandcoffee65@gmail.com or leave a comment if you would like your business featured. This post and subsequent ones are all for fun and community building-I'm not receiving  payment or product- gifted or discounted. While at times I succumb to the retail giants,  
 I am happy though to contribute if even in a small way to support our small business communities.

21 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea to promote local/small businesses in these difficult times. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the big businesses will do just fine-maybe a dip in their profits, but hopefully if enough people change to more local, shop small, more businesses will survive the times.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for including my book shop Sam. This is such a great idea. I might have to borrow the idea and do the same thing on my blog. It's always better to shop small when we can plus it means ordering from the comfort and safety of our own homes and not out in public during this scary time. Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably highlight some businesses with only a physical presence as well, just to get ideas for others locally.

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it draws a little attention to the option of small shopping.

      Delete
  4. Terrific idea. Here's my favorite local shop: https://snohobeeco.com/
    They are a beekeeping supply store, which also sells beeswax candle making supplies, as well as honey and hand poured beeswax candles. Once you burn beeswax candles, you will be HOOKED. The owners are also beekeepers themselves, and are very generous of their time and expertise to help novice beekeepers. SAVE THE BEES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I'll check them out. I won't get into the discussion of honey/bee products vegan or not vegan, and the different choices people might make.

      Delete
  5. I love this, thank you for doing this and for the shout out to Bailey, Sam. I also like to shop on Etsy as so many of them are small businesses trying to make a living from home. I'm panning n buying several Christmas presents there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan a whole evening of Etsy browsing-have a couple ideas for gifts that will require a bit of craftsmanship.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing me! I really appreciate it and I love what you are doing to support small businesses. It means the world to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to include! If you know of other entrepreneurs like yourself to add for future posts, please let me know.

      Delete
  7. A great idea about helping the foodbanks. I try to buy any gifts either second hand or handmade to do some good with my money. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the year that sharing our means truly will make a difference.

      Delete
  8. That's awesome that you are making a conscious choice to support your local businesses! way to go!

    I'm very much into supporting my local businesses; my city relies on tourism and it's been really hard hit this year from the lack of them. I shop local for everything, even though it takes a bit more time or might cost a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have no locally owned grocery stores in town-all large business, but we do have a butcher shop that will supply our meats this year. We like our local hardware store for various bits as well-costs more, but hey employ local youth, and owners live in the community.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Some are quite funny, but probably not something I'd include on a shirt for gift! There ar e afew I am eyeing for myself.

      Delete
  10. I am trying to shop at local stores for my Christmas gifts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'll be giving fewer physical gifts, it should be easier to do so. Cash will be king for my kids this year, with a few token things that are useable, a little fun, and practical.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.