Sunday, October 4, 2020

Menu-Unplan for Vacation Week

     


      I was happy with how September went. I stayed pretty much on budget, cooked form scratch, but used some help. We avoided a lot of take out and kept the pantry fairly established. LAst weeks meals were;

  • Sunday: Pulled pork sandwiches and potato chips
  • Monday: Chicken tetrazzini
  • Tuesday: Chicken Codon Bleu and wild rice
  • Wednesday: Sausage,apple cheddar meatballs and boxed shells and cheese
  • Thursday: Patty melts and air fryer fries
  • Friday: Chili and pigs in a blanket
  • Saturday: DH ate the last of the egg salad  made on Friday which was plenty as he had a big lunch at work. I was not hungry having eaten so late with my daughter. We later snacked a bit while watching a movie. 

     Below is th elist of meals I can still make with what we have, but since we are going on vacation, might be out the window. We are on the road shortly to see our daughter, so we will have a take out meal, and then I'll bring snacks for the road back. Maybe we'll just pp a frozen pizza in.

  • Pork Roast, bought pre-seasoned for Carnitas ( and likely will freeze 1/2 as it is quite large), with tortillas, rice, black beans, and tomatoes
  • Chicken and country gravy over biscuits with steamed carrots and roasted red potatoes
  • Goulash with mixed vegetables (Oh, and a 2 # box of elbow macaroni)
  • Apple Cheddar sausage meatballs, (half still in freezer)scalloped potatoes and steamed carrots
  • Turkey meatloaf, cheesy mashed potatoes and green beans
  • Sweet and sour meatballs, rice pilaf (maybe a risotto) and mixed vegetable
Added with my Trader Joe's stop:
  • Mandarin Orange chicken
  • Pilak Paneer and naan, probably with rice-but DH won't eat it anyway
     With DH's stop earlier, and my stops yesterday, we are at $83 for the month. He got an ice cream craving last ight-that was his snack, and bought two buster bars and two dilly bars at DQ. Entertainment, so not counting but I did include all the snacks I bought and those going in the care package for our daughter. While I have no targets this month, I will track that I spend on Household, groceries,  health and beauty, and take out. Now we are truly on vacation!

12 comments:

  1. As I will be leaving on Tuesday, I am trying to eat things that will not keep in the fridge. I usually freezewhat I can, including open packages of cheese and even lunch meat. I always take the veggies with me. They can be used up in Ankara. It is a bit of a hassle but as long as I do not waste anything, I am fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re all trying to be more responsible and I like that. We brought snacks for our day trip.

      Delete
  2. I think I missed it- you're going to your college daughter's school this week? I like your meals- I think planning really helps with budgeting. Some folks tell me they never know what they are going to have for dinner and just wait until 5:30 to figure it out. My sis has always been a lot like that but she's known to pop up a big bowl of popcorn and call it dinner LOL. I just fried up a skillet of green tomatoes- I still have 1 left but the skillet was crowded. I floured, dipped in egg/buttermilk mixture and then into homemade bread crumbs. I also have 2 Delicta squash I need to do something with. Enjoy your time with your girl- GS is like a lot of males and as my DD says, no news is good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a day trip today, then back to get dog and head to lake cabin. We’ll have easy meals and a few take outs.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. Hope you have a good holiday. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, relaxing and leaving stress aside. A few minor blips.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great plan! Hope you enjoy your break

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have longed to make chicken tetrazzini I hope yours is scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out tasty. Now I’m not sure it actually was tetrazzini but I’ll go with it.

      Delete
  6. I hope the trip to see your daughter is fun and then the lake vacation sound glorious!
    Goulash sounds so good. I usually make a big pot of it every fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll likely save Goulash for next week. DH is in a grilling mood. It was so good seeing our daughter. She looked healthy and despite the oddness school is going well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.