Sunday, October 18, 2020

Weekly Menu Planning and ReCap-We Are the Parents

      I love the  series of Progressive Insurance ads, documentary style doctor, working with new home owners to not turn into our parents. IT has really struck me that yes, we are the parents, and so many of the stereotypical  examples he is trying to  fix are exactly us. DH loves using his speaker phone-not sure if he doe sin public or not. We both have a tendency to strike up conversation with random people in stores if looking at the same things in an aisle. One really struck home- the big meals at noon, followed by just wanting to have a snack later (and probably consume more calories, is us lately. Take a look-it's funny-and this is really part of my post today. 


    Well, we are the parents of a 31, 29, and 19 year old. We have been home owners for longer than we have been married by three weeks, and our hearing and metabolism have devolved over the decades. It is reality. Here's what we ate last week:

  • Sunday: We treated ourselves to a donut on route home and then about 1:30 warmed up the leftover pizza from Saturday. (Remember we had just snacked Saturday night). Because we ate lunch later, and really, ate so much all week, Sunday night was also just snacking on fruit, some chips and salsa, and the three taquitos lingering in the freezer. 
  • Monday: I used the two large boneless chicken thighs left form last week and thin sliced them, and grilled them on garlic buttered ciabatta roll and mozzarella. They were really delicious and I was happy to have not wasted anything form the cabin. The rolls had a 10/12 date, so need to be used up.
  • Tuesday; Spaghetti pizza bake, from the freezer, garlic toast on ciabattas. (My Keto friends are probably overwhelmed with my carb loading)
  • Wednesday: Trader Joes Orange Chicken, rice, steamed vegetables
  • Thursday: Sausage Apple Cheddar meatballs, cheesy mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables
  • Friday: Turkey meatloaf, asian salad (Aldi kit), Air Fryer fries
  • Saturday: Neither of us were very hungry as he ate lunch late, and I  just felt like pb toast. He snacked during the Alabama Georgia game on an apple and cheese curds.
     I've avoided take out for dinner but DH did get Arby's for lunch on Thursday. He ended up at work for th emorning and really just wanted to relax in the afternoon. Options for this week include:

  • Aldi Red Bag Chicken on rolls, with air fryer  French fries or baked potatoes or wedges
  • Roast beef dinner in crock pot
  • Homemade pizza flat breads with olives, onions, and pepperoni
  • Vegetable beef soup and fresh baked bread (cheated and  will buy frozen bread dough)
  • Carnitas (still have the pork roast for this) with tortillas, rice, and cheese
  • Tuna hotdish with vegetables
  • Chicken skewers with vegetables and rice pilaf
  • Vegan butternut squash lasagna (I've wanted to try this recipe for a while since we had squash pizza at Veg fest last year)
  • Brats on the grill with onions, sweet potato wedges
  • Burritos or Bowls with rice, beans, corn, tomatoes and cheese
  • Goulash with green beans
  • Meatballs and gravy over rice or noodles 
  • Cottage pie (becoming a DH favorite)
  • Chicken Wild Rice soup or a hotdish (I've been hungry for a wild rice dish since a  friend whose family harvested it last month posted about sending out packets) If I do the hotdish, it is one from the 1987 church cookbook I got as a shower present and was the first meal I cooked for guests, both sets of parents, after we were married.)

   So far in October we have spent $391 on grocery and household, take out and the meal out on vacation, and including the take out with our daughter (but not her restocking) for all food, household and groceries. The meal out and take out with our daughter could easily just be entertainment, but I'm curious to roll all food together. How are you doing on menu planning and preparing? Did you make a formal plan and stay with it, just wing it each night, or like me, just list options to help out your brain each day? 

14 comments:

  1. I never "plan" as such. But, I do know there is food and get what is cooked and there. Right now, I know there is leftover chicken from two meals, breasts I cooked and rotisserie chicken, Plus, there is leftover potato soup that has too many carrots. So, chicken and potato soup will be dinner. THAT is a plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's planning when waste is avoided for sure Sounds like a good dinner as well.

      Delete
  2. Those are probably my favorite commercials these days, they are so funny! All of your meals sound great. We have mostly been eating freezer meals this month with everything we've had going on. I just went shopping for the first time this month last Friday, spent $198. and hope to make it through the rest of the month without too much more. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband ended up doing the shop-probably not again, though he tried to stick to the list. I got some odd things and he spent more than I would have because he didn't know what I meant so guessed rather than call.

      Delete
  3. I don't fully meal plan, but I do have some ideas of what I'm hoping to make through out the week. Sometimes I realize something needs to be used that I forgot about and that might alter things a bit, but it all works out in the end. This week I'm hoping to make potato soup. My mom always made potato soup with summer sausage in it and it's all I've ever known, so make it the same way. At first people think it can't possible work, but always like it after tasting it. A decent quality of summer sausage helps, as does a fair amount of butter and half and half. Heh. I also have broccoli, green beans and lettuce that will need to get introduced into some meals somewhere. I like slicing garlic into olive oil and cooking it a bit then remove the garlic and flash fry the green beans in the oil and top them off with the cooked garlic when they're done. They go well with pork chops so that will probably be another meal with some store bought biscuits. A salad can go with any meal, but sometimes I jazz the lettuce up with chicken or left over taco meat and cut up tomatoes and avocado, if I have it, and make it into a meal on the weekends. It looks like a chilly week ahead - hot meals are much more appreciated now. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those meals using different ingredients form other meals sounds really yummy. My husband went shopping for me, and while mostly he stuck to my list, a few things were odd-but I' going to go with them and hope to not shop too much more the rest of the month. I am going to to try your green beans as part of Thanksgiving. We'll have green bean casserole of course, but my vegan daughter doesn't eat that so we've had a modified version-your beans sound better.

      Delete
    2. It works great with broccoli also.

      Delete
    3. And broccoli is about my favorite vegetable! I think maybe both might be o our table!

      Delete
  4. The next time we go in Aldi I am going to look for that red bag chicken as I heard it takes just like Chic fil a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a bag- it was pretty good but my homemade is better LOL. I have more time than a lot of folks to cook from scratch though.

      Delete
    2. I have always planned meals so it's no big deal to me. I think I can easily become obsessed with food though so maybe it would be better to not plan since I live alone now. My sis is not a planner- she might just pop up a big bowl of popcorn and call it dinner. We're both overweight though so I'm not sure which is best! Usually on the weekends I just have leftovers but that's still planning. I have so many cookbooks and I do enjoy looking at them for possibilities and now, with the internet, there are tons of fun cooking videos.

      Delete
    3. I'll buy them if they are stock, but won't lament if not available. I like them, and so does my family, but I bet Nan's are much better! They are a nice thing tp have in the freezer and taste better than say a plain Tyson chi ken patty. We like them on the brioche style bun. This is the same bag form September when I bought two. With just the two of us we get 2-3 meals depending on how hungry he is.

      Delete
  5. I pretty much always start chatting to people in stores - especially if they're looking at the same things as I am! Heck I guess I just turned into my mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So my trait! The I'm just going to snack-has become our life lately. Don't get me started on the guy wanting to help the plumber-or that might be in a different commercial-totally DH.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.