Monday, October 19, 2020

Holiday Shopping for Good

     


     A bit different Monday post from what I have been doing-but no one needs to know how little I do about personal spruce up every week any way. This post I guess is sort of spruce up-but more sprucing up the feeling of doing good, appreciating our own blessings, giving back, and not letting consumerism run amok this holiday season. Meg B's comment the other day inspired me to think about gift shopping in different ways and put me onto other thoughts for  my weeks leading up to Thanksgiving and Christmas. Here's her comment.

 "A dear friend posted that our local food bank is in dire need of donations of food and cash. I'm not sure how it is where you live, but our food bank is funded by the thrift shop. I chimed in on her post that if people didn't feel they were in a position to help with food bags, perhaps they could peruse the thrift shop first for gift ideas, saving themselves money, and supporting the less fortunate in the community at the same time."

     My girls love to thrift and I am getting better at it as well. Our local family service does have a smallish thrift shop, and definitely worth the look. We have other ways that we will support our local food shelf such as the t-shirts that will be sold for the virtual Gobble run, with options to add donations. Most of the money earned for the shirts are through advertisement or sponsorship from other local businesses, so happy to give them the visibility as well. 

     Back to Meg's suggestion, I just Googled "food banks with thrift stores" and a whole bunch of programs popped up. I refined a bit more for my geography and found three additional within 35 miles of us, one of which near family, and another near the discount  food store DD2 and I went to a few weeks back. We could combine some exploring, potentially find some great low cost gifts, and support the food bank in other communities as well as our own. 

     This idea also sits very well with trying to reduce the carbon footprint my family leaves behind. If there was a previously loved item that someone on my list might love as much, I've saved the first item from going into a landfill and avoided wasted resources on a new item. It's also a way to get sort of a one of a kind gift this year-things others around them will not have and was specifically selected for the recipient in mind, not mass marketed as the "best gift for 2020." For my immediate family a short list of items I'd look for include:

  • vintage record albums
  • vintage rings or pendants
  • basic color and style jeans, skirts, and jackets-with real wear, not manufactured distressed materials
  • Flannel!! Particularly if it is the insulated style as the girls and DS wear as jackets
  • Books-again, for all three kids, and perhaps  photography books for DD1, DS, and DH, pretty glossy ones 
  • Serving platters-for DD1 who is a really good cook and baker, and a lovely platter for her treats might be appreciated
  • Any vintage  Pyrex, corning ware, Tupperware-things that just get updated, but functionality they remain the same
     Other things might be brand new items never even used, and passed on to the thrift store. Many of those items are used for family Christmas boxes-I donate those items each year, items specifically for teen boys and girls, and young adults. 

     I know some folks might still be nervous about buying second hand stuff, but I think if clothing items are washed, and other items are sealed and left for a while, or wiped down with  disinfectant, what's the difference from a new item that dozens of people might have handled in a store? My concern is more the shopping part itself, as the longest I have been in a store has been 30 minutes if that, as I have my list, and go in and get out. Thrift shopping might require me to do more looking in the store, though I think it's easy to tell fairly quickly if it is viable or not. What are your thoughts on looking at our shopping a bit differently this year? I welcome our opinions and views. 

     I'm also thinking of how to keep tightening my grocery budget so that I have more resources to donate locally so all families can celebrate. Be ready for more posts, perhaps repeats of recipes that are satisfying, but cost so little per serving that I can stretch, and stick that money towards my giving. I'll also keep an eye to buying extras to things that families will need when school is out-as not sure what the school lunch support will look like after the first of the year. 

     I'm not all altruistic, as some of this thinking is so I can give generously in my own family where there is need. With my son not coming home, I want to  send a little money his way to purchase his and his roommates/friends own turkey and the trimmings, and a nice candy/fruit/nut box delivered between Thanksgiving and Christmas, hopefully sourced from a local business in his community. My sister always had bought her husband a sausage and cheese box-their little tradition. Her first Christmas without him will be hard and I thought it might be nice to do that for her and use an in town family butcher/cheese shop that is pricey, but darn good. We also have a couple friends who lost parents this year. I'd like to gift them a belated plant or wreath (again buying from a local business), or something that might bring them some comfort knowing we care. 

     I've got other ideas on gift giving a little differently, and may plug a few etsy businesses,   e-bay sellers, poshmark, or self fulfillers. If you have ideas you'd like to suggest, pop in the comments, Or as I moderate, if your own business, you could put the link and a description of the shop and who, what countries, states, or regions could be patrons, I'll work them into future posts. Mostly, I just want Christmas 2020 to be one where people in my life know I care. If ever a time that the spirit should not be about  stuff, this is the year. 

18 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is head of a food bank at a church. The church sells Rada knives to fund the food bank as they take nothing from any food organizations. All is purchased by one person. So, the profits go to a good cause. Since I lost all my knives, this is good for me to renew my supply. Rada has gift sets, so these could be nice boxed presents, too, especially for young people starting out. This is the friend to whom I mail my coupons.

    I used a church thrift store to donate my books when I cleared out 800 out of 1800 books. Then, I turned around and bought things. I sent my daughter and son with children clothes for their kids and my kids did not mind gifts were from thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With thrifted clothes, you know they will stand up to children's play because they already have.

      Delete
  2. I just love this post, Sam. Some very thoughtful ideas posted here, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now to pull it off! I think if I can see few cars parked, I'll feel like I can get in and out. It will be a fun challenge this year.

      Delete
  3. You know I never thought about thrifting Christmas, but it sounds like a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tightwad Gazette author wrote about thrifting gifts and her family turned out more than all right. We've been given many 2nd hand gifts form my in laws, as my father in law liked the hunt. There are a couple unique things that he found just right for someone.

      Delete
  4. Such a wonderful & thoughtful list of ideas - love these. I made it a goal to increase our giving this year quite a bit, and have been finding all of these wonderful serendipitous opportunities. It's been so very enjoyable.

    We're for sure going to continue through the end of the year, and I'm also exploring some senior volunteer roles that leverage my expertise & time for charities that need them in the moment. I'm excited about giving back in that way as well.

    We don't exchange many gifts (socks) & then do a handmade Christmas item. I'm attempting to learn to knit dishcloths. ;-) So far, I'm stuck on the first part!

    We haven't figured out a gift for the kids yet. It's typically skiing related, but that is up in the air, so more creativity is required. The good news is, they have enough of everything no matter what, so a few small gifts & they should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a funny story about homemade dish rags My sister's cousin in law learned to knot and had dozens upon dozens of goofs. She gave them away and I was lucky enough to score a few. While they are misshapen, and oddly colored, they are the best dish rags for the job that I own. She was so happy to learn how much they were appreciated. Now I guess she is making baby blankets, her good days are over. I think putting funds towards others and experiences is a good route this year.

      Delete
    2. Love this! I'm confident the first batch will be very interesting looking!

      Delete
    3. I meant her goof days are over. People will love your dish rags!

      Delete
  5. I snuck into a thrift store today after opening and it was nearly deserted (with Masks, Mom in tow), found exactly what I was looking for (replacement dish for putting scrubby in near kitchen sink) and was out in 10 minute. I also donated a bag of clothing/books first which will pay it forward, also let them keep change for the kettle. Found brand new candles still in wrapping (didn't need them but if you did) and plenty of items that with a disinfect/clean are perfectly good. Mom found a new to her can opener as she hates the new kind and likes to have a backup. Thrift store shopping is as safe as any other right now and the money certainly doesn't go to corporate entitities but charities that are long established. Plus it's fun - make it a day out with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remind me that I need something to hold the scrubby. Now that I finally got my faucet replaced, I don't need to get hard water rips ruining it. Good find for your mom-I agree the old type of openers are so much better and I will not have an electric one.

      Delete
  6. Oh I wish I had known you needed platters for your daughter. There were a ton at Moms and I could have mailed them to you. Everything from silver to crystal to pottery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like, and think she would like, a pottery or clay platter or a minimalist ceramic. I had some of her brownie's today for a naughty after lunch treat-made with bananas instead of oil and egg. I hope your mom's found good new homes.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea. I'd add any printed cotton clothing to the list as it's perfect for chopping up and making into masks, I'll be giving all my friends bespoke face masks for Xmas this year as I've a feeling we're all going to need them for a long time.
    Do your homework before you cook with vintage Pyrex, some designs are worth ££££s, especially on the American market. A friend recently sold a casserole dish to someone in the USA for £700!
    Bear with me, my eBay shop isn't currently showing listings to anyone outside the UK, I've applied to be part of their Global Shipping programme so it should work soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. I inherited a couple pieces form my mom that I've never seen new. I do use them so maybe should stop and price them out. I'll look for cotton stuff-but not being able to follow a pattern, I would gift to a mask sewer along with elastic if I could get it.

      Delete
  8. Typically our thrifted gifts are: Books, clothing (usually t-shirts) dishes, (you can find replacement pieces to your China patterns easily), kitchen items, lamps and ornaments.
    One year, when our kids were still quite small, all their gifts from us came from the thrift shop. Daughter's favorite that year was a satin and lace party dress with a crinoline.
    We ALWAYS shop the thrift shop first for anything, especially hard furnishings, like, say, a table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from the comments, I think a lot of us might be giving this a try for our giving. Book make so much senses-I like to read then donate, unless it turns out to be a beloved book, then to our book shelves it goes.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.