Wednesday, November 25, 2020

My Wednesday Pantry-One Meal and a Lot of Leftovers

      

      With such a small crew, and one not eating any turkey, I will have leftovers even with adjusting quantities for our Thursday Thanksgiving meal. We still are deciding, do we carve at the table, there certainly is room for it, or in the kitchen? Do I serve family style or buffet? Even with a tiny crew I want it to be a special meal and am setting it with China and crystal, neither gets used enough, but I do have these cute napkins and plates for desert. I bought the platter as well because I thought it was so cute and I have limited fall cute. I don't know what I'll use it for though as it is just a plastic thing so certainly not  sturdy enough to serve a carved turkey. Maybe it will just be on the center of the table, holding the salt and pepper shakers and  crudites. I know this seems excessive, and it is, but these are the foods we are used to, and besides just straight up Thanksgiving round 2, I have meals in mind for future days. I bought some extra freezer safe containers  to share leftovers for which the recipient can pop in the freezer for later.


      
My daughter is bringing a vegan main dish that sort of looks like a  roulade, around stuffing that she found at the whole foods co-op. The rest of the menu is as follows, v is for vegan items.

  • Roast Turkey-I don't brine or anything fancy, just some real butter and seasoning, and basting while it cooks. We like a simple turkey.
  • Skin on red mashed potatoes DD1 is making so they will be whipped with Almond milk)
  • Stuffing
  • gravy (I bought a can as a back up or extended if mine does not turn out)
  • Green bean casserole (vegan version as well)
  • roasted sweet potatoes-v
  • ginger glazed carrots-v toss in a touch of olive oil, a wisp of ginger, and roast with just a bit of ginger ale-so simple and delicious
  • Acorn squash-v
  • Corn-v
  • Wheat dinner rolls-v
  • Strawberry jello salad (ha ha-salad) for a little color variety
  • cranberry-sauce and sliced can version-v
  • pickles, olives, celery sticks and carrots-v
  • pumpkin pie-v
  • apple pie-v
     For wine, I have both pinot grigio and cabernet-sauvignon. I have things I can use any leftovers of either should a bottle not be finished with the day. With the exception of the turkey, my version of stuffing and the original green bean casserole, its a vegan friendly meal. 

     I have ideas to make some obvious leftovers-turkey noodle soup, turkey tetrazzini, turkey and dumplings (basically a turkey stew with drop biscuits baked on top.) My old memories from high school home ec class was off when I was trying to remember the ratio of people to size of turkey. I thought it was buy 1/2 pound per person, 1 pound if you want leftovers. I just read on this article on Turkey Day math for a bird smaller than 16 pounds, you should plan 1 pound per person and 1.5 for leftovers. Our bird is a small one-just over 10 pounds, so we should still have twice the meat and more. I'll try an take a few food pics, not foodie worthy, but to share my success or whoops with you all. Now, off to work, and then a massive clean tonight!  And yeah, it's my 55th birthday today. There just might be a cocktail to go along with my mop bucket. 

36 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! A cocktail or two is definitely in order ;) I bought the festive plates and napkins too. I think they are so cheerful. And I’m so pumped for turkey dinner and pie. I baked yesterday and it’s killing me to not dive into the pumpkin pie. My favorite leftover is a turkey wrap with ranch, shredded cheddar and lettuce. Hope you have a great day! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple sitting there is calling ot me for breakfast-but I will resist. The pumpkin is at y daughters-out of reach. Yes-the turkey wraps sound so good.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday!! Your Thanksgiving menu sounds yummy! I hope you have a wonderful day today and tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! My sister was 63 yesterday. You certainly have a lot of food for 4 people LOL. My family doesn't do a lot of veggies on holidays- they go to waste- but we love mashed potatoes and gravy. My pumpkin swirl cheesecake is in the oven now- just for me LOL. I've never made it before but recipe was easy. I will miss a good turkey sandwich tomorrow but I bake a turkey breast several times a year so can have one in 2021. Are your daughters baking you a cake? My sis usually requests one from me but this year she has to wait since she's not in my household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a ridiculous amount of food, but everything is freezable, which I plan to do in sort of ready meals. With two of us eating lunch at home every day, we'll each have a TG meal once a week until Christmas. Leftover carrots corn etc. can go in new dishes, so I'm not worried. Hold my feet to the fire though for no waste!

      Delete
  4. Double nickels!! Happy Birthday!!
    Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking of the Sammy Hagar song, I can't drive 55. It' nothing but numbers, an dI am grateful for another birthday.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! And also a very happy and wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thak you-It's fun to celebrate with blog friends.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday!
    Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you! Have a lovely day tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food and company was good. Safe-we hope.

      Delete
  8. Everything sounds perfect, have a very Happy Birthday Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday. We would have been classmates, and, I think, friends who could respectfully exchange the rare differing opinion had we known each other! Your meal is very similar to mine. I make a jello salad every year, and this year's may have to be strawberry pretzel, except that I already have red with the cranberry sauce. Today I will make a German chocolate pie, perhaps an apple pie, apple turnovers, and make the final decision on the jello salad.
    I'm a sucker for holiday themed paper plates--I use them for snacks after the big meal. Yours are very pretty.
    Here's an interesting fact about me: I love China and stoneware, and have more sets than you can shake a stick at. Thanksgiving sees my thrift store find of Royal Doulton's "Kingswood" on our table. It's perfect for Thanksgiving, don't you think? (Tried to link you a picture, but it seems my laptop is not having any of that today.)If you do link to the set, don't gasp at the price...I found the complete set for a song in our thrift shop some years back. My son says I shrieked a little when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were younger-must just have a lot more energy than I do! My jello really was just strawberry jello and sliced strawberries. There was more color once all was on the table an dplates. I'll look up the style you have. I have Noritake Stoneware that we use a lot, but the China not as much, but I vow to use more often just because. The china is an 8 place setting my mom bought at some disocunt store back in 1985 and was origanlly ogin got be my sisters wedding gift, but then she selected a China patter. I knew I wanted more practical stoneware and registered for that (I have 12 placece settings). My mom aske dif I would want the set she had bought for my sister or would I think that was second had-I was very happy to have it, and it fits my "formal" style. My crystal was picked to go with both. Side bar-just looked up your China and it is lovely.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday and your menu sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was a hit. Thank you for the greetings.

      Delete
  11. That's a really pretty tray - I can understand why you might want to use it. But I'm afraid you lost me at the wine - "should any not be used up at the end of the day"! Have a lovely day tomorrow and enjoy your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we did have red left because only my daughter was drinin git, but I'll polish it off tonight. We only opened one bottle of each.

      Delete
  12. Oh and I omitted to wish you a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you=I'm feeling 55 this morning, 55 aches!

      Delete
  13. Hey, this is the year to do Thanksgiving up right and safely, excess is ok! Leftovers are wonderful. We saved our turkey for Christmas this year and will do it up a few days before we have to leave for Vancouver for surgery so that we can enjoy leftovers and freeze the rest as we are just the three of us and I am used to cooking for at least 1 large eating kid who generally comes here for Christmas but not this year. Your menu looks scrumptious, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted my table setting today-I liked doing a nice setting and the food was good. Best wishes for the month ahead and prepping for your surgery.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday and hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to a Turkey girl. I have the missionarys to eat all the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a one big turkey, to be sure. Thank you for the well wishes.

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday!

    I don't think your menu is excessive at all. You will be eating for a while won't you? So, eat the dinner on other days. My favorite leftover other than the same meal I whole wheat bread, turkey breast, spinach, and Miracle Whip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lost me at Miracle Whip, LOL! I made small portions of sides so not insane leftover amounts.

      Delete
  17. I hope you had a lovely birthday and Thanksgiving. X

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.