Friday, November 27, 2020

Weekly W's and Thanksgiving Wrap-Up

     Well Thanksgiving came and went. We had a delicious meal, if I don't mind saying myself, followed by pie-though my pie came several hours later. We had some wine, and a relaxing evening. Today I'm getting the china and crystal put away, the soaking turkey roaster scrubbed and stored, and deciding how I will make use of the leftovers. While we had a small feast, I made small portions of sides so not an excessive amount to heat and eat. Here was my table before the meal. The flowers were from my daughter for my birthday and were a perfect centerpiece. My mother-in-law did join us, but arrived not too much before the meal, we all masked and spread out (she was on one end and college kid the other just in case) when not eating. She arrived about 1:40 and left about 4:00, so not the usual all day events his family tends to have. I was happy with how both my turkey and my home baked, though used frozen dough, turned out, Plenty of  sandwiches for the weekend. I send MIL home with both. DH loved my daughters vegan version of the skin on mashed red potatoes, though she did say she used a whole stick of "butter". The mock cream of ,,, soup I made to make her portion of green bean casserole seemed to be a hit. 








Enough of the Thanksgiving recap.  It's Friday so we'll do a very quick Friday W's. 

What's top of mind: My attention is now turning to Christmas. It is four weeks from today and I think both Christmas eve and Christmas  Day will be a quiet  affair. DD2 asked if we could get Chinese food on Christmas Day. We could, but I don't think the Chinese restaurants we have in town are actually open. 

Where I've been: There was a few last minute errands and I ran pepper jelly to two of my sisters, plus Starbucks coffee pods for my brother-in-law who likes the sweet flavored coffees.Even thought he stops were brief, standing outside and masked, it was so nice to see them both! I even got to see on eof my great nieces as my sister was her child care for the day.

Where I'm going: I don't think I have to go anywhere this week. The only groceries I can think f that we might need is bread, but we can just pick tha tup on a walk. 

What I'm watching: Well I believe the final of the British Baking Show will stream tonight on Netflix. I saw a spoiler on Twitter, so know who won, but will still enjoy the show tonight. I can't even keep track of al the series  I have started and will keep watching an episode here and there. 

What I'm reading: I have just a small bit to finish of  The Hideaway by Lauren K Denton for book club. Twice I thought I would finish, but got distracted and not back. I also am going to read yesterdays paper-check out all those Black Friday shopping deals I will be avoiding. 

What I'm listening to: With Thanksgiving over, Christmas music will start. When I was a child, we always started Christmas music on the ride home from my aunt and uncle's farm on Thanksgiving night. 

What I'm eating: DD2 and I made Tika masala for my birthday supper and at lunch, ate a frozen TJ palak paneer and naan. Of course we had TG dinner, and now will be leftovers iin a variety of manners. We will order Take Out this weekend as well. 

Who I'm paying attention to:  I have the news on and first heard the of the faulty Astra vaccine test, and Trump's melt down and an incoherent back and forth fraud conspiracy tirade at a reporter. Please let this embarrassing period be over soon.  

What I'm planning:  With a good enough clean, I really need a deep clean of my house. However, I want to decorate this weekend. I'm giving myself today as a putter, reading, relaxing day, and will tackle both over the next two days. 

      That's the W's of my life right now. What's happening in yours?

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad your Thanksgiving went well even if it was smaller than usual. And your table looks lovely. Isn't it nice to have loads of leftovers and not to have to worry about cooking for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made big pot of soup yesterday, but still plenty of turkey for sandwiches. I think we have gotten through the sides, all but a few sweet potatoes for my youngest who loves them the most.

      Delete
  2. Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely! I'm enjoying the idea of a long weekend, and will try to be somewhat productive today ;-)

    Not sure what I'll get up to, but will swing into Rite Aid for some BF deals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up take out and got Remers noodles for soup because I cheat from homemade, and prefer a really good noodle when I make soup, but no other shopping.

      Delete
  3. Your Thanksgiving Day table looks beautiful, Sam. An your turkey looks good too. I'm glad you all enjoyed your holiday and won't have to cook this weekend with the sandwiches. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made soup and will make a hotdish we like, that liley will go in the freezer-maybe I'll just freeze turkey and make it up fresh in a week or so. Yes-not planning to cook and this will be a take out small business weekend. I hope you had a good day as well, Belinda.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had a good time with your family. I think my favorite leftovers are the Thanksgiving leftovers. I will be cooking that menu for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you really like the sides, reheated sure is a nice treat, though I made smallish portions so not excessive.

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear all went well and that you had a nice Birthday and Thanksgiving. Ours Thanksgiving was really nice too. We also talked about just doing Chinese food on Christmas this year. Christmas eve is my daughter's birthday so I think we will order that day, maybe do a nice big breakfast for Christmas day and then just have leftover Chinese for dinner. It will be such am awesome day when we never have to hear or see Trump again, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a low key Christmas Day growing up-big brunch and then leftovers from our big Christmas eve dinner. That sounds like my plans this year. If we can't find an open Chinese restaurant, we can pick up form a HyVee and reheat.

      Delete
  6. Your day sounded lovely, what sweet napkins! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought those napkins were adorable, and we had plates to match for desert. I'm not big on paper usually for holidays, but I let my frugal and eco aside for a day. (not proud of that)

      Delete
  7. I had a lot of fun yesterday ordering Christmas gifts- I decided i'd actually buy things for people instead of just giving them cash which I will do too. There were actually some good sales online! Also the Christmas tree I ordered came last night so guess I can put it up today- just a $60 one so not that nice- and hopefully, next year I can go back to getting a live cut tree. What are you doing over the long weekend. GS is going back to college this AM- I didn't see him in person but we zoomed a bit. I ordered him and his brother some Apple air buds and charger. We'll probably just do appetizers Christmas eve. My sis makes delicious egg rolls- maybe your daughter could make those. Sis fries them in hot oil. Chinese food really isn't that difficult to make if you have the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point I am going to start Christmas decorating, but need to do a clear out of my fall stuff. Minimally, my lights will go on our porch, and that makes me smile. With no big family get togethers, even not having DHs mom as she will be with his sister I think Christmas Eve, and brothers, Christmas Day (as I'm sure she prefers because of the young kids). If conditions stay OK, she may come over on Sunday after Christmas, and I'll probably do soup and sandwich fixings.

      Delete
  8. Your table and turkey look wonderful! We usually get Chinese or Japanese on Christmas Eve and see a movie. The latter is definitely out this year. I think we will do takeout and rent a movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we are in a smallish community, the Chinese restaurants tend to close on Christmas day along with all others, but maybe this year will be different since so many peoples Christmas's will be different.

      Delete
  9. Your table looks pretty. I watched the finale of British Baking Show and am sad it is over now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably rewatch old seasons! I saw a memorial from a contestant from a previous season-quite a young man-several years younger than myself. I remember him. Quite sad.

      Delete
    2. Yes I saw that too. Very sad.

      Delete
  10. Your life could be my life, we are doing all the same things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I'm sure your doing things while juggling a baby in one arm while altering a dress, while pies are baking and your committing to helping your sister renovate her house. LOL

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.