Sunday, November 22, 2020

What's For Dinner-Back to Three

 

Image:PosterMyWall

     As of Friday ight, we are back to a household of three for the next six + weeks. It is my opportunity to really get my daughter cooking. So last week was a very lazy meal week. I just was not feeling like anything-motivation went by the wayside. :

  • Sunday:  Chicken strips and salad
  • Monday: Burritos with rice and black beans
  • Tuesday: Frozen supreme pizza, stuffed mushrooms
  • Wednesday: Spaghetti bolognese
  • Thursday: Leftovers: pizza, burritos, and spaghetti (these are my lunches too)
  • Friday: DD2 and I sandwiches on route, DH frozen egg rolls (Which he only microwave and not inn airfryer and said they were not good)
  • Saturday:Gyros with tator tots
     I had the massive Aldi shop, plus my daughter picked up the turkey and is storing for me until Monday when I can start the thaw. I ended up getting both kinds of cranberry sauce-both whole berry and the kind that slides out of the can, alcohol, and frozen bread dough to make rolls. I'm going to make a quick  bean soup today that will use up the veggie broth and some vegetables that need using up for DD2, but also boil some eggs for egg salad now that I finally remembered mustard. I think I'll also use up a few other things for lunch, but not sure on supper yet tonight. 

  • Turkey Dinner
  •  Ground turkey white bean chili
  • Cheddar broccoli  soup 
  • Sausage, cheddar apple meatballs, side of some sort
  • Pork chops and rice with apple sauce
  • Tuna hotdish with vegetables
  • Chicken skewers with vegetables and rice pilaf
  • Rice Hotdish with carrots and celery
  • Mandarin Orange Chicken, rice and steamed veg
  • Hamburgers with the fixings, fries
  • Chicken cordon bleu or kiev, rice and vegetables
  • Chicken Chow Mein
  • Tika masala
  • Turkey noodle and vegetable soup
  • Lots of leftover Turkey meals
     After my major stock up, I decided to not even worry about the budget and where I am at for any personal challenges. I know I have a mix of easy food, healthy food, and crap-hopefully we will eat the healthy stuff and save the not so healthy for treats. Maybe we'll eat a ight this week to save room for our big turkey dinner on Thursday. I'll most likely freeze multiple portions of Turkey for future meals, plus send my MIL home or bring her over depending on what happens Thursday, with a few ready to heat and eat meals for her freezer. With planning a big meal Thursday, I wish I didn't even have to think about meals on other nights, but as I started, a good time for the college kid to take the kitchen over.  

     While I now a turkey can be made any time, I generally only do a full bird about once a year. I'll give a run down of our full menu on Wednesday-probably more food than a family, a small family at that,  should ever eat in one sitting. How about you all. If you cook on Thursday, how do you tackle the rest of the week? Do you have any great recipes you use leftover Thanksgiving  foods?

15 comments:

  1. I love the American Thanksgiving Menu. The only time I can get a whole turkey in here is around the New Year's so, I always roast a whole bird on new Year's Eve. It is not easy to find cranberry sauce so, I usually buy the IKEA Lingonberry preserve. Close enough. I make stuffing, mashed potatoes, a pie (cherry, apple or pumpkin) and something called a Russian salad but I am not sure, Russians are aware of it's existence. It is a mixture of peas, carrots, potato mash, mayo and diced cucumber pickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I haven't eaten Russian salad in years. That's a walk down memory lane!

      Delete
    2. Yet another food Item I have never heard of! I love learning about new foods that are a tradition for others. I love a leftover turkey sandwich with a slice of cranberry or the sauce-that tartness so good. I can see the lingonberry jam would work for the same tartness.

      Delete
  2. I usually only have turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas. But, the last few years, I have cooked turkey breasts during the year. My turkey is cooked, so I will probably use turkey in soup, sandwich, or salad. I have to spend all week, cooking one dish each day in order to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. So far, I have turkey, cranberry sauce, and one other thing. I jst do not have the energy to do much in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to hearty turkey noodle soup afterward!

      Delete
  3. I also have Chicken Italian Sausages, and lots of vegetables to mix in for meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple frozen brats to use in a rice dish we like.

      Delete
  4. I make lots of rolls so everyone can have turkey on homemade rolls the next day and of course homemade turkey noodle soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got three loaves of frozen bread dough and will make at least two dozen even though we only have 4-5 of us. but. I figure with soup and and sandwiches, they will all be gone by Sunday.

      Delete
  5. Turkey (free from husbands work), mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing/stuffing, butternut squash, stir fried green beans with garlic and pumpkin and apple pie. Will also have olives, pickled beets and bread and butter pickles and rolls (from Aldi). Just my husband and myself and we will each have leftovers warmed up for a couple of days and a couple of sandwiches and I will make soup out of the carcass - maybe with dumplings. It's not a very big turkey but it will provide enough for us with plenty of meals after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my daughter said it was a 10# turkey, so if my old high school home ec calculations are right, 1/2 und per person would fee 10 people plus leftovers, os we will be more than fine for meals to come. We used to get a free turkey from DH's work but that has been a long while.

      Delete
  6. I remember Mother doing both types of cranberry sauces. I often wondered why she did both but it seems someone at the table liked one or the other.
    I make mine with berries, oranges, sugar, spice, and a bit of vodka .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds pretty nice. My MIL made a sort of cranberry slaw, and it was always th eonly cranberries on DH's side, and I was woefully disappointed.

      Delete
  7. Everything sounds great! I posted my menu plan with a recipe link for turkey soup today, but forgot to include my very favorite Thanksgiving leftover recipe, it will be included in tomorrow's post :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leftover turkey - soup; turkey tetrazzini; turkey, cranberry, cheese panini. Turkey can be ground with onions, relish, mayo (to taste) for a sandwich filling or cracker topping.
    A go-to holiday "meal" in this house is one of just appetizers.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.