Saturday, November 21, 2020

Days of Our Socially Distanced Lives-V12


     A new routine for a few weeks with the holidays coming, my daughter home, and winter getting ready to  decide to stay. We'll have four weeks of even less external activity than we've had in recent months. Here's a glimpse at a couple days in my life. 

Friday, November 20

     I was up at my usual time but did not make coffee as I wanted one for the long drive. I took pup out and got hi fed, cleaned up, and dressed. I posted my Friday blog and returned comments, then  logged into work, even though I was taking the day off, and dealt with a few urgent e-mails before the full staff meeting started. Fortunately it ended early, and I was able to  resolve a few more things before  packing up for my road trip. I splurged and got a take out coffee with real cream. I stopped at  a rest stop for a quick bathroom break and captured a couple pictures. It is a long drive and the day was gray-then sun-and vice versa.

Open skies.

Prairie land.

     My daughter had several curve balls thrown into her last day before break and the move to  online. She ended up having a test in her Environmental Science class Apparently it was an optional test that they could take or not along with their final and take their bet score she decided she anted to advantage of a choice to help ensure a strong grade. Then as she finished that, she had a message from her voice professor asking where she was. Apparently my daughter thought that once they had their jury's, which essentially is a vocal performance final in front of a panet, they were done with lessons. That wasn't the case since jury's were done a few weeks earlier than normal. It worked out fine as I had brought my work laptop, logged in through VPN,and caught myself up for the day, resolved one issue, and determined all else could wait. When I finally met up with her, we grabbed some food as it was now close to 3:30 and I hadn't eaten since the snack for the road. We were able to use a swipe from her meal plan, plus she used the final dining dollars for some bananas and yogurt. The commons would normally be a bustling place but you can see the signage is anything but normal.



     We loaded her stuff, but she couldn't find a shirt her friend/former roommate loaned her for a Spirit Week  dress up day. They dressed as Donna and Jackie from that 70's Show, and the T-shirt she had was one with a Pot Leaf graphic.While she looked for it, I went for a walk around campus. Isn't it a beautiful space? 

Older part of campus.

     We finally got on the road at 5:15, only three hours later than I had intended!  by 7:00 she was hungry, so we grabbed  sandwiches through a drive through, but never really stopped. I was so crampy by the time we pulled in and we both made bathroom dashes! I will say, four hours in the car with your 19 year old is a gift. We talked and talked and laughed. It was nice knowing she had tested negative and has been asymptomatic before heading home. We both had flu shots as well. 

     Once home, we unloaded, and she gave her dog so much love. To say he was excited was an understatement and ended up sleeping in her room last ight. I was pretty wiped out so off to bed I went at 10:30.

Saturday, November 21

     I slept in until nearly 7:00, very rare for me but must have needed it. I had coffee, jumped on the blog world. Pup wandered down and I took him out and go him set with dog food.  I had to wake DH up at 8:00 for work as he was sleeping so soundly. This is his last day until November 30th. 

I need new towels.
      Our day was uneventful. DD2’s friend wanted to meet up, but she did the mature thing and declined. I helped her do laundry, intermingled with clothes already in hampers. I spent time organizing the kitchen pantry and found duplicate storage. I went to the store for a few things for later in the week and the liquor store and now no one should need to step foot in a store for a while.

Nothing fancy; two bottles each
red and white, vodka and mixer.

     More little tasks done-dusting and sweeping, but decided to hold of scrubbing the floor. I am tackling tomorrow on my knees to get it really good. Supper tonight will be Gyros with tator tots. I’m not sure what tonight will bring, but I have a fresh bottle of vodka to mix up a couple vodka Collins to go with something on the tube.

10 comments:

  1. A four-hour drive with your daughter sounds wonderful. I am glad you got back safely. With a serger and sewing machine, my towels lasted for years. I would just move to the solid towel and serger off the strings. The towels changed shapes over the years, but they did the job. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought a fe at time, new towels I mean, but I think a whole restock would be a nice birthday gift for myself. We had a nice drive home.

      Delete
  2. So glad your little chicky is safely back home in the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is, loaded with books to read, plus a ton of school work. I hope you get a good call or video char with your kiddo.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great! Thanks for sharing the photos. Enjoy this special time with you daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell bad for her, missing the end of the semester with college friends, ad not able to socialize with her friends at home. I wish my older daughter could be out and about too. I'll try and think of the blessings. of time though.

      Delete
  4. Only one of my four kids lived away at university so haven't had those drives as he was just an hour down the road and had his own car but as my children are now 20, 23, 25 and 29 I can see how those drives are treasured times.
    Glad to hear you arrived home safe and well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally she woul have car pooled, but with all th ekifs brining home abit more since there is still three week sof school, plus she has instruments, it was just easier Sh elikley will bring her car back to school for spring semester as she may have some volunteer opportunities that would be good resume builders. M husband made the trip th eother direction usually when th eolder two couldn't car pool, but m son's last two years he had the car and my daughter could use as well, which meant my daughter had a ride back as well, so we only helped with the move ins and outs.

      Delete
  5. Perhaps Santa can bring you some new towels
    He gives Someone new ones every other year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice that you got to see your daughter, Sam! That looks like a beautiful area!

    Hope you are well - a vodka Collins sounds about right! :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.