Wednesday, January 27, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Chicken Cheat Pot Pie and a Cookbook

      

By Sunday afternoon, I had already shifted up my menu plan for the week, moving menu items to different days to maximize Use By dates. After doing a lot of googling and determining the pie crust dated January 9th (which explains why it was only $1 in the store) I thought best not to stretch any longer. Chicken pot pie was moved to Sunday. I was happy it was! It served us both to stuffed, and left us with four slices, two of which were my Monday lunch and two were DH's Tuesday lunch, as he finally  decided to just come home rather than always pack the same sandwiches every day. He works less than five minutes from home. It was very cold on Tuesday and he had a mug of tomato soup as well.  

This was the pie crust lid I bought at my favorite  kitchen store, The Palate, in
Stockholm, WI. This is one of our day trip shopping stops with my sisters. 

     The pie turned out very well, but why should it not? It was a complete cheat. Last week when I made  ranch chicken, I cooked another four of the  chicken thighs without breading and tucked in the freezer. Two were  diced into chunks for the pie. I steamed the other half of the frozen mixed veg from last weeks quiche, and combined the chicken, vegetables, three precooked (peeled and steamed in microwave) potatoes, with a can of cream of chicken soup. I added a teaspoon of  chicken bouillon and 1/2 a cup of water, plus a tsp of onion powder and  ground black pepper. All was mixed and into the  ready made pie crust it went, after first poking the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork to avoid bubbling. I topped the mix with the other crust, crimped with a fork, cut the surplus dough away, and baked for 40 minutes. I didn't even bother with an egg wash. I'm going to call this a $4.00 pot pie.

  • $1.00 pie crust
  • $1.25 chicken (8 in a pack for $5, used 2)
  • $ ..50 soup
  • $ ..50 veg
  • $ 30 potatoes
  • $45 seasoning estimate to round up
     It's another dish that would have fed our family of five, though would have probably needed sliced bread or maybe rice or stuffing on the side, and another vegetable for all five of us considering the appetite of my son. This is theoretical as my daughter wouldn't have eaten it as it of course was not vegetarian, but for an example, to show how far it would go if you are feeding a family.


     Speaking of my son, his Christmas gifts for us are slowing making their way to Minnesota. He had ordering and delivery issues, and then we all know the mail has had issues too. I am very excited to dive into this lovely cookbook he gave me. 



      I did some paging through of The L.A. Cookbook, and saw a wide variety of recipes created by  chef's from restaurants in his adopted city.Being L.A. I'm sure there will be a variety of  options from Vegan, to grill favorites, to ethnically and culturally diverse offerings. 


     I think of California as Saturday and Sunday brunch vibe, and sure enough, there is a breakfast and brunch section. I'll share with you all as I attempt to bring some of these recipes to life. They most likely will take more effort than my chicken cheat pot pie.

16 comments:

  1. Love your pie dish! Looks like a delicious dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a hit, and I will keep in the rotation-once I develop a rotation.

      Delete
  2. As an aside, pre-made piecrust freeze really well. When they go on sale I buy several and use them throughout the year.
    I hope you will share some of your cooking adventures from you new cookbook. I love cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a smart idea and next time I will. is $1.00 even a good deal? I have looked through and I love the photography in the book.

      Delete
  3. Your pot pie looks great, and can't beat the price. Can't wait to see what you'll be making from the new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try some of the brunch items for sure-I love a good brunch!

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious and sounds even better, if possible. I am sitting here at noon not having had breakfast! I need pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally don't eat anything until after 11:00-both as I'm trying to intermittently fast, though I never liked to eat much before then as the pill I takes doesn't do well with food. This pie would feed you and Tommy for a while.

      Delete
  5. That pie looks lovely - now you've given me an idea to use up a bit of left over chicken. And I know what you mean about your son's appetite. I don't remember my son being as big an eater as he is now but damn, I think he must have hollow legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my son was in highschool, he burned so many calories from sports, he would eat a PB and J sandwich or two, then eat a meal, then two hour later while doing homework, be looking for more.

      Delete
  6. That pie looks delicious! I have some pie crusts that I bought for Thanksgiving/Christmas that need using soon. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cheat with all the helpful ingredients. I imagine with a homemade gravy it would be better, but this really worked well.

      Delete
  7. The pot pie sounds delicious. Goya makes small pie crust rounds, sold in the freezer section of a grocery store here. I have some, maybe I'll make individual pot pies! As Anne noted, pie dough freezes well. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about Goya, but well, I'm not really looking for their products anyway. I did have success once with a short crust pie dough, and I can see making individual pies in muffin tins might work well.

      Delete
  8. That looks so good. I love chicken pie. My sissie makes such good chicken pies, I think she should go into business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where saying "pot pie" comes from? I notice most commenters just called it chicken pie, but I say "pot pie". Must be another regional difference that stems form something at some point in history.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.