Wednesday, January 6, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-Make Due and Use It Up

      


     I don't think of myself as creative and wrote a post a while back. Many of you so nicely disagreed  with me and gave me nice comments about how I appear to use a lot of creativity in the kitchen. So far this week I've been a little bit creative, trying to use up lurkers in the refrigerator and a few dated items form the pantry and freezer. 

Sunday: Half a bag of frozen, wings, drummies etc. bout in early December. I popped the whole frozen blob in the crockpot and slow cooked them with garlic and seasoning salt. A light toss in BBQ and into the air fryer in two batches turned out  really well-dare I say as good as out pub!

Monday: My curry was a mix of new purchased zucchini, plus using up the last of the  plain yogurt, three partial bags of baby carrots-why so many were opened I don't know, the one of the two last of my onions then canned tomatoes, and chick pes. I ran out of curry powder-not nearly enough left in the jar, so added more onion powder, cumin, chili powder, pepper, and garlic powder. It tasted a bit different, but still nice and my daughter was happy. I froze a portion with rice for her to take back to school. 

Tuesday: When I stopped for fresh food on Sunday, there was a sale on fresh sliced mushrooms, 3 for $5. I knew I had lurking sour cream that needed using up, so a mushroom stroganoff was supper last night. The meal was more carb heavy than I would have liked as we used up four slices of lurking mozzarella topped garlic bread, but I intentionally avoided bread and noodles during the day and only had protein, fruit, and veg. I'm trying this balance thing! DH has been happy using mushrooms freely with cheese in his eggs in the morning. Did I say how much my family likes mushrooms?

Snack last night: As I had used all the yogurt t he curry, my daughter made an evening smoothie with  a way to soft, almost mushy bananas, left from last Thursdays bunch, a handful or two of frozen strawberry's, and milk. I had the remnants from the small blender and it was quite tasty. I think I might prefer to when made with yogurt. 

     I wasn't feeling like shopping yesterday, knee still a bit wonkier than normal, so tonight will be another meal pulled from what we have eon hand-which is plenty. I thawed taco meat for tacos, burritos, or bowls tonight. I'm trying to keep shopping to  fresh food, specific meals, or replacing very low stocks, but without a true spending challenge. Likely I'll need to do a big stock up shop then in February, but that will give me several weeks in January to retrain to cooking for just the two of us again. I've got canned fruit and baking supplies that should be used up, and some that will result in some sort of dump cake for an early birthday treat before the college kid goes back. I promised her pumpkin bread as well and score-two cans are in the pantry. 

     This is me doing my pantry challenge-more a make due and use it up kind of challenge. how are you tackling January? Did you do a stock up shop, or are you eating down what you have? Are you still in a pattern change due to shortages in your area on anything? For UK readers, how is the new lock down impacting your shopping and meal planning? 


10 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms too but particularly Portabella. I'm staying home now though and haven't left the house since 2 hours on Christmas eve afternoon so i have to be content with what I have or get from the produce delivery. I guess I could order and have a grocery deliverey but so far I've avoided that. I made a batch of healthy granola this morning- olive oil and maple syrup- and a big bowl of chicken salad so guess those are on the menu this week. I should be getting cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower tomorrow- cole slaw and broccoli salad sound good; no greens though. GS leaves this weekend for college- a lot of his friends are staying at home but since he's in the band, he has practice. So far he's avoided any 'sickness.' Hope your daughter has a great second semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm attempting to adapt to a monthly menu, to see if it makes the menu planning & budgeting any easier. We'll see. Too early to tell, although I've liked it so far. I'm also taking a closer look at 2020's spending, so I can better tell what's contributing to the overall overages. I have a general sense, but need to get more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shopped yesterday, mostly for dairy, meat and produce. I simmered a whole roaster yesterday and made a lovely vat of soup and then a pot pie for dinner using up a lurking pie crust and making a homemade roux/gravy for the filling and both were top-notch, if I do say so myself. I’m trying the steak in the air fryer tonight and will serve with a side of sautéed mushrooms, we also are big mushroom fans and salad. I got a salad spinner for Christmas and I’m eager to try it. I have plenty of meals planned to get me well into next week so I won’t need to go out, except a trip to the dollar tree for toothbrushes and whatnot. While I’m typing this I just got word that my dear friend D’s sister unknowingly passed COVID to both of their parents and their mother may be heading to the hospital soon. Tomorrow is D’s birthday also and i just can’t imagine how she’s feeling. I know not seeing my dad has been difficult but it has been the right choice. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love mushrooms too. I've been sticking to the menu plan and don't have anything lingering. The panty is well stocked and I probably have enough meats and seafood for a month or so stocked in the freezer. I did a stock up on lots of fresh fruits and veggies on New Year's Day. I'm all set for now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I intend to eat more plant based protein this year. Recently I looked up my pantry drawer and I can see some things need to be replenished soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday, I stocked up on cheese since it was on sale--8 packages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here in France we should find out more this Thursday, the day Macron will be speaking to the nation. I doubt it'll be good news though. I went grocery shopping today and am finding I'm spending a lot more since my son moved back in with me. I swear he's got hollow legs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have been really creative. Great job.
    Do you like the air fryer? I wonder if it would be a good investment for me?
    I'm so tired of cooking. I think I will fix some chow mein since I have a napa cabbage from the misfit box. Maybe mushroom chicken since we love mushrooms too. Maybe a meatloaf one day. Lots of fruits and veggies and salad fixings we need to eat. I really need to fix the butternut squash before it goes bad so will turn it into soup this weekend since we are expecting snow.
    I shouldn't need to shop except for milk next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to eat down and not buy as many groceries.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.