Saturday, January 9, 2021

Saturday Normalizing-Whatever That Means

      I just saw a commercial for By the Yard furniture. It was a lovely pool side setting around one of those gas fireplaces. Lovely! I know it was a commercial, but seeing "lovely" was great. Also watching the local news program while I have laundry going is a refreshing change from bingeing on CNN alternated with Fox to hear both sides of the nations mouthpiece. There was also a feature on snow showing, and taking care of house plants in the winter, and kids on the newly froze and ready to use skating rinks. All the wonderful stuff of Minnesota winters, stuff I'd rather put my thoughts and attention to. Nothing has changed since yesterday politically, maybe even more fuel is being poured over the divide and there is still the poor pandemic response and slow roll out, but for today, I'm aiming for normal, whatever that means on this January 9th.

     My youngest will go back to school tomorrow. She had two days of remote classes and an informational interview for a volunteer opportunity. It sounded like that will be a good fit for a few hours a month-not quite an internship as she has a full course load, but an opportunity to build her resume. She also will be her  colleges International Business Club Vice President, another experience builder. Don't be too impressed-the club president put out a call for volunteers, and she was the only one, of the small club that said, yes. Two of her friends are other officers. She doesn't even know much about the club, having only been to two meetings in the fall, though found them interesting and a good fit with one of her majors. Online classes go through Thursday and then they'll transition to in-person Thursday, and the Case counts will be tracked daily, She'll be tested again five days back on campus. 

     My older daughter has been following the housing market, picking up a bit in  one of the communities she is interested in. Ideally, she would like to purchase  before summer,  even though her lease goes through September. Her apartment is so cute and rent is so reasonable, she doesn't think her landlord will object to her leaving early as he easily  can find a new tenant. He'll be sorry to lose her though I am sure. Her original upstairs and downstairs neighbors were older young, professional adults like her, but both have moved in the last year and she has  immature neighbors now that don't understand the concept of some shared space, and  light sound barrier in a 150 year old  house. While not horrible, she is ready for her own space. 

     We'll try a Facebook call with our son tonight before the college kid goes back. We're set for group connections through the video app as well, so I hope they all want to connect with their old mom on occasion. Todays plans are to make sure daughter has all she needs going back. She needs to get her car cleaned out and the inside windows cleaned. She'll have a travel emergency kit, sleeping bag, water, granola bars,  etc. and fortunately it's supposed to be a nice sunny day tomorrow.  I want to get caught up with other bloggers, plus I really do need to grocery shop. We're going to venture  out to Trader Joe stop, plus pick up the Nothingbutbundt cake for her birthday treat, even though I could have baked. Basically, trying to aim for a normal weekend day after a week that was anything but. 

18 comments:

  1. I agree with you, it's nice to get back to thinking about more normal winter things rather than thinking about what happened in D.C. for a change. Everyone has their "limit" don't they. And I hope your daughter manages to get on the housing ladder soon. Sounds like she has her head screwed on properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun watching her go process, and tagging along on house visits. in some ways it will change her lifestyle dramatically, owning her own home, and in others, like spending and so forth, she will belt tighten, but not to the point of working solely to pay a mortgage.

      Delete
  2. I just read an article, (which I cannot find now to link to you) about how to bring back balance in the media--or rather, how we lost balance. One of the causes listed was the closure of local papers in favor of conglomerates owned by big media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand how losing the opportunity for news to be reported in ways that it connects to day to day life has caused a break down. We seem to have a couple news stations that simple report, but they have a lot of side shows that lean right or left. I try and get news form a variety of sources, but there is always an angle or a "side" it seems.

      Delete
  3. Normal is good, even if it's just for a little while. Enjoy the rest of the weekend with your daughter Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We finally watched Mr Hollands Opus together last night-lovely to do with her.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying to also have a "normal" weekend, when life feels anything but. Nick played tennis this morning, he's baking bread for dinner & I'm working around the house. The weather is gorgeous, so a walk outside was perfect as well. Just a mile, but maybe I'll get out for more this afternoon before the sun goes down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be a little anxious while my daughter is on the road until I know she is safely parked and back to her second home! I think I'll do some cookbook or recipe scouring, maybe read an old favorite book before I dive into the new book club book. MM-I can smell Nick's bread. He'll be quite a catch in the future with a partner!

      Delete
  5. You are going to miss her. It is hard when they leave all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! She's been home for seven weeks and two days and we won't see her until the end of March unless we do a day trip. What's sad is her choir would have been doing spring concerts in the five state area and we would have been able to see her a few times, but of course, cancelled.

      Delete
  6. I don't remember normal, but this was not it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sam, hope you are well, what a week it has been! We’ve been following the US news on the TV. My girls were back just one day at school before Boris Johnson’s announcement regarding England lockdown #3. Pointless being back one day! We are now safely back in lockdown, as Covid is out of control here, especially with the new strain. Minnesota winters sound wonderful and something nicer to dream of. Good luck for your daughters’ new adventures. Lulu xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you all stay safe as well, and soon more and ore people will have the vaccine. We have to find our wonderful. December snow is magical. January and February cabin fever can set in, for me it happens after my daughters mid January birthday. By Marh, all I can think of is relocating!

      Delete
  8. I feel like we are forgetting what normal is, or was. It's kind of scary. We watched a concert on YouTube yesterday. It was a tribute to Freddy Mercury from 1992. The audience was huge, packed in tight, happy and joyful. The music was amazing, especially George Michael singing, "Somebody to Love." I got chills. I could feel myself smiling, but at the same time feeling sad that we can't have concerts or any kind of joyful gatherings like that anymore, at least not for a long while. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see that concert! What year did Freddy Mercury die-the tribute must have been soon after his death. Now George Michael gone as well, but seeing joyful gatherings, even if old, would still make me smile.

      Delete
    2. Freddy died Nov 1991. The concert was April 1992. Here is a link to George Michael's song: https://youtu.be/UvM2Cmi-YRU We just watched all the video clips on YouTube. To watch the whole thing, I think you need to buy the DVD.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! Shorter clips is more manageable too.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.