Friday, January 8, 2021

Friday Rant

     Yesterday was six weeks since Thanksgiving, the unofficial holiday season which came with black Friday shopping, family gatherings,  colder weather that made outside gatherings difficult, and generally people that just defied recommendations. Yesterday the US topped 4.000 deaths in a single day and Dr. Gupa on the television is sharing that it is not  out of the question that by the end of January the daily total could be over 5,000. And if anyone wants to argue with me that's its inflated, I'm not in the mood. I worried that the roll out of the vaccine was going to create false sense of security, while still bringing hope. We need national leadership on this; we've needed national leadership. We need a leader who can be a partner with the rest of the world, not  fight with  leaders of places like Canada, Germany, and France,  like a school yard bully trying to get their lunch money. All the misgivings and fears that Bush 43 was over his head in his eight years in office, he's in hindsight, a great president compared to Trump, and despite all the errors his administration made post 9/11, Katrina, and other national tragedies, he would never have put his ego over humanity. 

     I've cried with you all on my blog during the unrest and riots over the summer, railing against the violence while supporting the efforts to shed light on an unfair and  systemically racist legal system. Never once did I condone violence, riot's and looting. Even on Wednesday when I saw all the  Trump sycophants gathering to hear their want to be dictator spew his conspiracy theories, and shameful rhetoric, did I not think they didn't have the right to do so. Never mind that they accepted the same ballot results when republicans down the ticket won. Never mind that  claims of thousands of illegal votes when investigated, found as many that went in Trumps favor as Biden's (and still was at a small scale to make any difference), and other  lies were disputed time and time again to the point the Supreme Court told him basically to sit down and shut up. 

     The violence on Wednesday was incited by Trump, his son, and the former respectable Giuliani who is as insane as Trump. Now, left and right, his  unqualified yes men and women ae resigning, after four years of not using any bit of clout and expertise to stop his idiocy! Now, they've had too much? Give me a break. And Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnenell can go suck lemons. Don't think I'm any too happy with the Democrats either. How Pelosi was voted in again as Speaker of the House is beyond me. She too played  stupid games with Trump, knowing this  maniac, she only tried to  rail against anything out of the administration, even when Trump allowed those with  qualified brains to develop policies. No, she dug in to her dogma, and poured fuel, but without any plan for bringing real negotiation and compromise to get the nation to a better place. Principles are great, but creating havoc doesn't help any of us. They all need to grow up and remember that being elected to office isn't just about being given a a leadership title, it is a dire responsibility that has dire consequences when you get it wrong. TERM LIMITS!!!! The whole Democratic primary process was a joke and the DNC better remember that  people will not put up with the games the next round. It made no sense that Biden was the top of the candidate pool, though him at his worst state is better than Trump at his supposed best. He's at least putting people with skills, knowledge, and qualifications into his cabinet. 

     My opinion is worth nothing more than a penny-not even two cents. I wrote this more for myself, a release, before I even try and blog about things I want to blog about. If you read this far, thank you. If you didn't, you won't see this, but I understand. If you have been a Trump supporter, that was your right. All humans, all politicians are flawed and no one would believe there to be a politician with all scruples beyond reproach. I just won't ever understand how anyone thought a con man, grifter, who failed at business venture after venture, with a history of using other peoples money to feed his greedy lifestyle, who bragged about cheating business partners and contractors out of their money, who bragged about his treatment and lack of respect for women, including his own wives, sister, and nieces, and his claim to celebrity is through tabloids and a reality television show,  thought  "hmmm, he'd make a good president." 

16 comments:

  1. Well said Sam. I don't know much about Biden but so far he seems to have the good sense to be putting competent, knowledgeable people in places. As for Trump, I don't think even HE ever thought he would be elected. I think it was just a big joke to him to gain publicity for his name. Hopefully anything "Trump" will now go down the cesspit where it belongs - and that goes for his (older) kids too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders... you are correct, he did not expect to be elected and said so when he was told he won.

      Delete
  2. I'm very happy I'm not in Joe Biden's administration, because there is no clear path forward to unite the country. When people have been brainswashed into believing something...how do you work to unite them? If "news sources" are still allowed to put out misleading & false information, how do you encourage people to compromise?

    The solution feels like it's multidimensional - solve "fake" news & cut off the air for things that are outright lies & deceitful (bring back the FCC Fairness Doctrine) & then work to shape compromises the advance the country. I also feel that issues are often masked as one thing, when they are really about fear & racism. I don't think compromise is an appropriate solution there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't ever advocate for violence or looting, but the protests from last spring and that associated violence etc, is very different from Wednesday which I think you and many other folks know. I am sorry that the world is in this state of affairs, my province is seeing case numbers go up daily, we are now at over 4,000 today - just a mess, these politicians care about themselves and their rich friends only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have term limits, it's called voting. The problem is, voter turnout in local elections is pathetically small. I doubt most Americans could tell you who their state representative is, frankly, and despots prey upon this type of ignorance. Register, check your registration, and vote, Vote, VOTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree voting is key, but that doe snot stop a politician to be in office for decades, and multiple terms. Knowing they can win again and again, rather than knowing there is limited time to do their job, make a positive impact, and not be beholden to money and niche supporters, would change the political climate tremendously.

      Delete
  5. Well stated, Sam. I will be glad to see him gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Term limits, term limits, term limits! But do we really think anyone with the clout to bring term limit talk to the table will actually vote to limit their own term!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said Sam. You sound exactly like the conversations daily in my home. My husband an I can't fathom how this man even became president to begin with, but how in the hell can he still have supporters out there with everything he's done, all the lies he's told, and huge mess he has made of our country! How did his supporters get so brainwashed? I just don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam, Good post. Biden will not remove people who disagree with him. He does not have to be the smartest person in the room. I agree with every word you said. These people keep saying there is still proof. What and where???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said, Sam! I remain deeply concerned about the virus and the delays in getting people vaccinated. I am, though, feeling a teeny-tiny bit better today about the Capitol events, hoping that this tarnishes Trump so severely that he can never, ever, make a come-back. I am disgusted by the republicans who challenged the electoral vote counts, and thankful none representing my district and state did so (the republican senator had threatened to but didn't). I really never thought I'd see the day a long-standing major political party here in the US attempted to destroy democracy. I grew up in South America, in three different countries: two with dictators and another with a puppet democracy. As a foreigner there (US born of US citizens), I was always proud of our democracy. Now I'm ashamed to be American - not the first time I've felt this way, and I'm sure it won't be the last. -Celie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said my friend and totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said sister, boy you did not get attacked like I did. I really opened a can of worms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That extremist hypocrisy I read in your comments was exactly why civilisation is no longer civil. I wouldn't give any another thought.

      Delete
  12. I’m smart enough to know that I don’t know a whole lot about politics and government so I struggle with trying to say something impactful and eloquent but what’s been happening in this country for years and long before ***** is awful. I don’t understand how people can’t care about each other. How daily life is a blood sport. How my personal business is somehow their business. How people are so cruel, destructive, evil. It’s beyond me. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.