Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thrifty Thursday and a New National Direction

      So far so good after the change of national leadership. I might even say that Trump's parting speech prior to boarding Air Force One for the last time, was almost calming. Sure, a little bravado, and would not mention Biden by name, but he used words of promise and hopefulness towards the new administration. The President, Joe Biden the President, gave a moving speech complete with reflection or prayer as individuals felt warranted,  for those lost to Covid.Now of course I saw several postings of a cut and paste listing of all the "status' of 1/20/2020, supposedly not for political discourse, but to see how wonderful things really were when in four years times, people look back. The problem is, the post alone is filled with  inaccurate biases, partial and complete untruths, and has nothing to do with  social justice, poverty and disparities, health care, or the environmental. I try not to look at my life in terms of just financial and would hope in the supposedly richest country in the world, we can look broader than  $$'s on a page. That's why when I track my frugalness, my thrifty Thursdays, I try and recap how I best used time, resources, and money.

Time

  • I used my Monday to get caught up on a few work things-uninterrupted, plus some interruptions with urgent response needs, but also made sure to watch and reflect on programs for Martin Luther King Day. I was not bothered by doing work, as much of the work I was doing aligned creating a more just, fair, and  equitable society. 
  • I had the board meeting for  my daughter and nieces new organization. They are super organized and efficient. I'm looking at a few grant leads on their behalf to see if they are a good fit. 
  • I met my friend N for a walk on Tuesday after being in the office. It was down right cold, but in spite of that, and the slippery spots, we walked a goo 50 minutes, and chatted another 10 before doing a gloved, fist pump goodbye. I was feeling whiny after things didn't go completely as planned in th eoffice,and was hoping a small bit tat she would need to cancel so I could go home and crash. This was far better and so needed. Lesson to all-do not cancel plans with friends as no doubt the reason I feel like cancelling, is the exact reason I need to see them. 
  • I took the time to watch the actual swearing in part of the inauguration, though was working while the television was on. I also paused to listen to the phenomenal Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman. 

Resources

  • I did a one time catch-up wsh load with delicate clothing items and hung them all up to dry. I often do really small loads because I want to have something clean, but those small loads waste resources. I added 1/4 cup baking soda to soften the water and used a bit less laundry soap, which I prefer on more delicate clothing items.
  • I made three small loaves of banana bread using flax seed eggs, and bananas my daughter had given me from her freezer. I'm not sure what I did differently other than a bit more vanilla and a tsp plus of cinnamon, but it was some of the best banana bread I've made recently.  
  • Both dinner on Monday and Wednesday yielded lunch leftovers. I was going to freeze half the enchiladas, but since DH was luke warm on them, I'll freeze a portion for myself, myself for future, and I ate them yesterday and will tomorrow. Today we'll eat the leftover rice quiche, sausage balls, and rostis. I had planned on chili on Tuesday, but didn't get things put in the crock pot, so we had leftover hotdish form Saturday with the hotdogs. No waste so far this week and I've tried to make a few different things meals as I have been in a rut. 

Money

  • I got DD2's clothing returned to Target. Unfortunately because I didn't have her  debit card they had to put on a Target gift card, but she can use that for future spending. 
  • I did a little  gift shopping for people for the coming year, pairing clearance and 30% off at Kohls. I am done with my sister-in-laws fall birthdays ($2.5 under my target budget for each and I'm very happy with the quality), got a couple Christmas gifts for my girls, DS, and DH. The Christmas gifts will be tucked away but I'll start tracking the spending now.
  • I earned $20 in Kohls cash that may be applied towards a couple more new towels for us.
  • We paid daughters tuition and other expenses on-line with no added fees.
  • Exciting for her, she ended up getting the position at the library. She originally heard that it was filled, but there were other shifts for a different role, but all conflicted with her class schedule. Then she got a message over the weekend that  the first job was open again and it was hers! She also is interviewing on Monday for a small 2-4 hour a week research job in the Spanish department. Should she get that, between the two, she'll average about 10 hours per week, which will cover any spending, plus allow her to tuck another sizeable amout away towards Study Away. For the library job, shell be able to do homework while checking things out for students and faculty. 
  • My final medical reimbursement check arrived and will be tucked in the bank as the bill was paid in a previous month. .
  • I spent $20 over my grocery target, but that was due to excellent prices on meat items.I am pretty confident  I'll hit my mini challenge  to stay under $500 for household, groceries and Take Out.  For those just reading, the $500 included an pricey Take Out and cake for my daughters birthday, plus, I stocked her up on Trader Joe "essentials" before she went back to school. 

It was a fairly decent week, all things considered. I got out of the house safely and kept others safe keeping my distance and masking up. Despite the vaccine roll out being chaotic, I am hopeful the direction will be clearer going forward. How have you been using your time, resources and money? Who's started their Christmas shopping for next year and will throughout the year? 

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great Sam! Congrats to your daughter on the library position. I hope she gets the other one too. I've been sticking to my menu plan other than switching a few days around and zero extra spending this month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how different college is this year, she is making the best of it. Since I dedicated my mind to keeping the rest of the month low, I am doing better on groceries.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a frugal week. Glad you were able to get a walk with a friend. I'm sure the fresh air and exercise and fellowship did you good.
    We watched the inauguration, and I am so glad we have an adult in charge of our country now. I think the whole world breathed a sigh of relief yesterday. I'm feeling more hopeful about the future after the past four years of lies and chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough about how actual human interaction and fresh air does for the soul. I agree with you 100% on how impactful the change will be.

      Delete
  3. For holiday shopping, I only buy for kids (well, my kids + my nephews & my BFFs daughters - they are all teens). Teens taste change so rapidly that buying early isn't really a good option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gifts I bought for my daughters will stand up to time-very basic! I didn't too much pre-buying when the kids were younger either.

      Delete
  4. So far at Kohls clearance and discounts I bought my granddaughter a weighted blanket for next Christmas. For my daughter I bought her 3 long sleeve tunic length shirts, all with a thin sweater like feel to them. I also bought my daughter a cardigan sweater and two nightgowns. All from kohls. I am off to a great start on clearances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For basics that just do not change year to year, why pay full price. I couldn't believe getting two packs of pajama pants for $7 for my husband and son. Who cares that they are 2020 versions! They were priced at $36, but of course Kohls always has sales, but even if they were 50% off with a 30% discount, they still would have been nearly $13 in season.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the library job worked out for your daughter, although I know if I worked in a library I probably wouldn't get much "work" done. I'd spend all my time reading the books (a craft shop would probably have the same effect). It's a good way for your daughter to earn money while doing homework though isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She won't be by the fiction section, so fingers crossed she'll work and get homework done!

      Delete
  6. Time: I've started my project list for the year and am slowly starting to check items off. I prefer to do spring cleaning between Jan and Feb so by March I can focus on spending time outside.
    Resources: Making my grocery list for shopping on Saturday.
    Money: Paid all bills for the month. Other than groceries, haven't spent any money. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making my Spring cleaning list now too, though we don't get good weather to be outside until the end of April, sometimes May.

      Delete
  7. Today is the first day in four years that I haven't woke up angry about our political situation. I'm so relieved to know that grown-ups without criminal, self-serving intent, are in the White House. I'm grateful that this cabinet reflects the true colors of our great nation. It will make us better and stronger. I'm mostly grateful that truth will no longer be on the endangered species list. Lots of work ahead but at least there's hope.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even feel a need to look at Twitter-worrying what nonsense is being thrown about. Now Cruz can go away as well-he is dangerous. I love the diversity-but as much so, the qualifications that are coming with the cabinet picks. Experienced and knowledgeable.

      Delete
  8. So much to say...let's just say I am now enjoying a sense of calm I have missed in four years. To quote former President Bush, "That was some weird shit."
    I am on a no spend January, so I haven't purchased any gifts yet this year. Typically I hit the Rite Aid 75% off sale for things like fragrance sets, but they didn't mark those down until two weeks after Christmas. I'm not that concerned, as I tend to keep an eye peeled year 'round for gifts at a good price. I'm also in the midst of a pantry challenge, which I shamelessly broke when I bought some Wagyu steaks to celebrate our anniversary. I figured I fed the entire family a meal of salad, entree, dessert and wine (for adults) for less than what one steak dinner out would cost. Besides, our restaurants are still only open for takeout, so I'm not beating myself up over it.
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I'm all for supporting local restaurants, I get the desire to rein n your spending and use what you have. The splurge item and meal sound fantastic.

      Delete
  9. I do not want to hear or consider the "C" word until November hohoho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry-it will be sprinkled here and there if I find interesting or good value. I know-live in the calendar right.

      Delete
  10. I, also, don't gauge the state of the world or my world by $$$. I usually have started shopping for next year but not this year. But, it is only January. I gave money this year to grandchildren, so I may do that for next year. The thing I may do for buying gifts is buying items for the Pink Purse Charity. The one purse this year was received with much joy and appreciation, so it seems a good thing to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you seemed to get a lot of joy with your purse project as well.

      Delete
  11. I add pumpkin pie spice to my banana bread. Gives it a little something extra. I ended up working all day and missed the whole inauguration but I wouldn’t have watched it anyway. Regardless, I feel somewhat positive going forward, as much as one can during a pandemic and I caught up on some of the fashion of the night, found myself amused and empathetic to bundled up Bernie and thrilled that there was no violence or mayhem. I only bought a few Christmas clearance items for 50 cents a piece, mostly wine bags which always seem to get forgotten. I don’t like buying stuff too far in advance. Good for both of your daughters staying busy and being so productive! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I know the item will be used or appreciated, I've always bought gifts through the year. I think I did well. I got a few stocking stuffers right after Christmas as well for really cheap.

      Delete
  12. Oh I wish you lived close we could be such good walking friends. You always feel better after you go even when you don't want to. I always say go over budget for a good meat sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hindsight, as there was plenty, I maybe should have bought another two as I had the freezer room for chicken, and I'd be set almost until April. I think you would be a fun walking pal.

      Delete
  13. I was at CVS this afternoon and found several things for "C" (leaving the remainder of the word off so as not to offend you Ur-spo) Everything was 90% off so for $3.43 I walked out with several items I will use next year. i.e. Jewelry boxes (pack of 3) were 19 cents. Christmas cards normally 15 dollars were 1.50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have popped into CVS-no one is ever there. I'm guessing nothing is left now. I do need little jewelry boxes as I got earrings for my SIL's and my younger daughters.

      Delete
  14. I've already started my Christmas shopping for next year too. We watched the Inauguration too. It was so, so good and I am very hopeful for what is to come. Hopefully we will be rid of this horrible virus before the end of the year or at least be well headed that way.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.