Friday, January 22, 2021

Where in the World is ....Friday W's

       We had a fun little work Lunch buddies meet up yesterday where we all changed our backgrounds to either be from a memorable vacation spot, or where we might want to go. It was fun to see people in Lisbon, and  New Zealand, the North Shore, the  Colorado Mountains, and places farther or in-between. I was in London, ready to take a walk across the Tower Bridge. It was a nice diversion-both memories of good times we've had and promises to be travelling again. Tomorrow I have a travel on my mind post, but today, just another Friday W's. 



What's top of mind: You might think based on the week, the change of leadership is top of mine, but really, schools and kids are on my mind. We had more schools returning to in-person learning and more set to go back Monday, February 1, and February 8th. My daughter has been back on campus nearly two weeks, two weeks of classes done, and her college dash board only shows one Covid case at this time. Her test she was required to have five days after moving back was negative obviously, but it still was a relief. Thank you all teachers and educators, and child care professionals that are there for our children and students. While they are prioritized for vaccines in part, there are so few vaccine does that it is only rolling out in Minnesota as a pilot. 

Where I've been: Sunday was grocery shopping day and I combined that with a Target return, and a quick walk through the store, as well as a Amazon return at Kohls I did the same, a circle walk through the store, mostly in housewares, just a peek, and we left. Tuesday was an OK day at work, but our new staff could not come in as scheduled because of a positive test on last Saturday. I'm glad he feels well though. I had a bundled meet-up for a walk around a park  with a friend. Just a little change of pace was nice.

Where I'm going: My sister's birthday was on the 19th and I have her present to run out to her. She said they celebrated by splurging on the best pizza place in town. Other than running her gift our to her house and walking the dog, I don't have to go anywhere. I'm doing a meeting at my daughters on Monday though as I need to make sure WIFI is good and no dog barking in the back ground. She is working out of her house that day.

What I'm watching: I binged watched the last two seasons of Shetland on Britbox. I know, no judging! The Scottish Islands are so interesting to me. Question though for those that know this part of the world. Is there really a lot of drug trafficking and corruption on the islands as I have watched via this program? We kept HBO Max and I am interested in a few movies that will be premiering soon-next weekend I think. I was excited, then let down to see the French drama Spiral on Amazon Prime, but the last two seasons were not available without yet another subscription service. I didn't add any more. 

What I'm reading: I still need to either buy, check out or download We Were Liars for my book club. The meeting February 5th and I tend to read in one or two shots. 

What I'm listening to:  I have not had any streaming  radio this week at all. The most listening I've done is the car radio going to the store and work. 

What I'm eating: I tried a new to me recipe, Bean and Chees enchiladas. I've been eating the leftovers for lunches, and froze a portion for a future lunch. I made a yummy rice crust quiche with cheese and vegetables and potato rosti's. Last night was ranch chicken, using the leftovers for sandwiches and French fries on Saturday. I've done better sticking to a planned menu, but did not make chili. I will say, it was easier thinking about the never ending meal preparation having a plan in place.

Who I'm paying attention to: In general, I'm just happy to not pay attention to anyone in particular. I'll be keeping an eye on, maybe even watch the playoff games this weekend to determine who goes to the Super Bowl. I am a serious anti Green Bay Packer fan, so I will root for whoever they play, this time, the Tamp Bay Buccaneers. I have an affinity for Patrick Mahomes and so will root for the Kansas City Chiefs as his father, Pat Mahomes, pitched for the Minnesota twins a few decades ago. 

What I'm planning:  Tomorrow is dedicated to cleaning and figuring out which room will be painted next weekend. I'm tired of the staleness in every room of the house. Top contenders are our bedroom and the family room. I want to convince DH to bring in some color! I'm also thinking about ordering temporary tiles to do a back splash in the kitchen. I know-I've never shared pictures after our little refresh two years ago. 

     What a week, right? We had the inauguration and it went off seemingly without flaw. It felt calmer, but of course no one should get too complacent. If we are to have movement towards unity, there needs to be conversations, and discussion, but that does not mean capitulation towards accepting unilateral actions, beliefs, and ideas that others hold. It means accountability for decisions and actions as well. It's homemade pizza night and my daughter is going to join us. I am going to open the wine I got from my sister for my birthday, a lovely shiraz.

      That's what  I'm experiencing and thinking about this Friday. What's the W's of your life this week? 

25 comments:

  1. I'm still on a no spend month, which typically means I don't go anywhere.
    Hijacking your post for a rant: OF COURSE there are so few vaccines and no plan for administering them--turns out the Twice-Impeached had done NOTHING in that regards. Our county received some available for over 65, and over 55 in multigenerational households. These were distributed to the private health care provider clinics, (there are 2) requiring you to phone your health care provider, and get on the distribution list. The call volume actually shorted out one of the clinic's phones. There is now a wait list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a roll out glitch here as well with systems crashing and needing to come down. Of course if people were die hard Trump supporters, they put all the blame on the state government. Would you have been eligible? I know your husband is a little older than you and retired, had there been enough vaccines?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am eligible, but I am taking a calculated risk--my husband will get the vaccine. But, as I am healthy, I will not take it until it is opened up to my age group in toto, in favor of my doses going to somebody who is in a higher risk category. I am more concerned with getting my Shingles vaccine.

      Delete
    3. I understand-I'm hearing about so many people about our age getting Shingles and it is not pleasant. I too will wait towards the back of the line since I am so fortunate to be able to work from home. And while I am not a fan of wearing the mask, I've handled it this far, right! I like your attitude-we all need to be thinking about the whole, and moving behind someone higher risk, even if eligible, is a caring decision.

      Delete
  2. Sam. Here ya go. https://m.facebook.com/groups/IHeartBritishTV/?ref=bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a couple and have already played along! Thank you. It's fun to get new recommendations.

      Delete
  3. And a book group. Let me know if they work. https://m.facebook.com/groups/967350739957023/?ref=group_browse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have seen this one too. Thanks, Barb!

      Delete
  4. Still just news and politics here, but it's so refreshing watching how things are being done now. I really need to think about getting some painting going here soon too. My walls are still that ugly coffee color that was the "in" color last time we painted. The outside needs painting as well. No plans here other than sticking with my walks and workouts. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an accent wall in the living room that I still love the color, but he kids have often referred to it as the "sh8&*" wall. First a good clean everywhere is in order with the furnace running dust just seems everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Love your Tower Bridge photo, I haven't laid eyes on it since 1977!
    It seems really weird to read about you going to shops and browsing, something that seems like a dim and distant memory these days. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we can shop with limited capacity-counting as people come in and out, but I try not to linger. I more do a walking through and look. I used the picture because it worked for a MS Teams background wihtout cutting off body parts! That was taken in 2014 and I can't wait to visit again, but take much ore time out of London as well.

      Delete
  6. I get what you mean about "staleness" in your decor too but oftentimes it only takes switching a few things up to lift a room, not necessarily redoing the whole room (well that's my theory anyway). I watched Shetland a few times too but I haven't seen it on recently. For some reason I seriously doubt there'd be that much drug smuggling on the Shetland Isles. It's a bit like all the dreadful murders in Northumberland in the series "Vera" (also very good). But then if there weren't so many murders "Vera" would be out of a job wouldn't she. I always used to say that the only common factor in all the Miss Marple murders was Miss Marple herself so there you have it - she must be your murderer. And here's me thinking she was just a sweet little old lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I wondered about Vera as well-love that program and Brenda B is terrific. YEs, I should first look at swapping things out and removing items, but pain is really needed regardless. Since the bath needs a whole renovation, I'll skip that and focus where we won't bring in real workers.

      Delete
  7. Where have I been? Just home and work.
    Where am I going? Tomorrow is a grocery run.
    What am I reading? My new cookbook Season
    What am I eating? Making pizza here tonight as well

    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters got cookbooks from their grandma for Christmas. My older daughters wasn't a vegan version (I think these were form a collection of books she had) but she is very good at adapting recipes to make vegan. The younger daughters was fascinated with it and so a big hit for both girls. Sure, we can find recipes on line, but a good cookbook is a joy.

      Delete
  8. I'm very happy some kids are able to go back to school where you are! We're still very much in a holding pattern in the bay area.

    Top of mind for me: my dad hasn't been well, and due to COVID volumes at the local hospital, is having a heck of a time figuring out what's wrong. He's pretty miserable with pain, so thinking of him & hoping he is able to find a resolution quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and will send positive thoughts. I follow the dashboards pretty strongly and will see in another week if our numbers stay steady and we don't spike.

      Delete
  9. What's top of mind? Moms dementia and will come out of her mind tonight when I call
    Where Have I been? Home and work
    Where am I going? Multistore grocery shopping tomorrow
    What am I watching? Any procedural drama I can find, lately its been
    Cold Case Files and of course the playoffs
    What I am listening to? Dave Ramsey podcasts
    What am I planning? Nagging hubs to get the darn apt finished or at least the darn floor installed

    Thanks for letting me play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in! My kids like cold case/true crime shows. I think they all could be excellent Quantico candidates. I'd like to hear more about your apartment project.

      Delete
    2. The readers digest version.....MIL owns property that includes a barn with an apt above. We lived here from 2006 to 2014 and converted the barn to a garage but never updated the apt. Now that we moved back we are replace floors, cabinets and re worked the entire bathroom/closet. It’s a 1/1 and about 800sf with a 1000sf “hayloft” attached. The floor drama is we decided to put heated floors in the entire apt and it’s been a challenge, that Coupled with it’s only getting worked on on the weekends. Thankfully, below the apt is another bed/bath and another bedroom. So DH, myself 3 labs and the cat are living in the bed/bath and our roomate is in the other bedroom and we share the bath. Someday we will be in a fancy barn apartment and have an awesome guest suite/living area. Not to mention my 1000 sf storage/pantry area :)

      Delete
  10. Work is top of my mind. Our new store manager came this week. There are some growing pains. She seems very afraid of our District Manager and desperately wants to please her instead of focusing on what is right in front of her. There have also been a few things she has been flat out wrong about and she definitely insulted me today, whether she meant to or not. It’s a tough time of year so I’m just riding things out but I’m not sure that I can stick around long term anymore. My dad tried to get a Covid vaccine and he was denied, saying only healthcare workers can get them now. Sigh. I’m looking forward to watching the UFC fight Saturday night. I need some trash tv and a beverage to relax. I have another full day with the new manager tomorrow . Hopefully we are busy and it goes quickly. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you are having transition pains. We will have those in a few months as well as we are finally moving forward with replacing our director and the interim director, my colleague, does not want to be considered. Most likely it will be someone external that either doesn't know our division work, or is unfamiliar with the whole organization-either way, will be a tough transition. Say no more about trash tv and a good beverage-I get you!

      Delete
  11. You know nothing is really on top of my mind right now except staying on budget so that is no fun. But I must say that I have felt calmer since the new administration has come in. Hooray for that one change in my (our) lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the calmer feeling. It feels so different not having a bellowing grandiose blow hard telling us how "perfect' or "beautiful" and action was, and not hear a chirping press secretary rambling out sound bites "this president".... as she carries her pointless papers and talking points. The rest of the cabinet were just unqualified and spouted nonsense.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.