Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Positively Tuesday- Need this Pick Me Up

      I know no one really cares if I have 1, 5, 10 or even 15 tings to stay a positive about. I try and capture  my simple pleasures, the things that make me smile, and other pleasantries for myself on Tuesday's as I can get sort of down in the dumps this day of the week. Today, I need this as a pick me up. Maybe I am just really ready for a vacation-two more weeks and counting. I'm a little down that neither of our friends have committed to join us for any part of the week-but they haven't declined either. Maybe I'm burnt out thinking about new variants and that Covid seems to not be giving up its grip. I'm fearful life will just be forced to go back to "normal", and anyone  who catches the illness, vaccinated or not, just needs to hope they don't get very, very sick. And if they do, well, let's just chalk it up to collateral  damage to protect our "freedums". (This is sarcasm, if you didn't deduce.) Apparently mask wearing is too much of a sign of a dictatorship. Maybe I'm just in a bit of  melancholy funk. These feelings will pass, but all the more reason to make note of the good things in life, even if seemingly small.  

  1. We were victorious at Trivia-likely due to the lower turnout and having a highschool senior join us. While we play for fun, I can't say I don't get a kick out of doing well. 
  2. Olympic opening ceremonies still make me smile. There's the big sports, but then the, to most of us, more obscure sport athletes, get their opportunity on a worldwide stage. We root for everyone in our house. Of course we want Americans to do well, but really, I just love the joy of seeing all of the athletes compete. 
  3. Chocolate chip pan cookies, bars, or blondies-whatever you call them are a simple pleasure. I use the Nestle tollhouse recipe, nothing fancy but  always a win. These were made for my great niece's graduation party.
  4. The party itself was fun to see nieces and nephews and their families, plus friends in common. My great niece is a beautiful young girl and was so happy with her party and thanked everyone for coming and helping. It was a sweltering day, but they had plenty of shade and plenty of cold beverages. 
  5. Sunday was the start of my feeling a bit of lurgy or whatever I should call it. I think it was a caffeine and sugar hangover, having indulged in both the day before in likely excess. I gave myself permission to sleep as late as my body needed.
  6. I made another humongous batch of lo mein and have lunch today for DD2 and myself-and used another quarter of the cabbage, plus an assortment of veggies from a veggie and dip container. Using up produce makes me happy.
  7. Another happy produce dish was my favorite onion and cucumber salad. I didn't have any tomatoes which would have been better, but the tangy blend of the sugar, vinegar, and mayo dressing, marinating for hours with sliced cukes and onions is a summer treat. 
  8. It cooled down after 6:00 yesterday, or at least felt better in the shade. Pup and I got out for his walk and just lingered by the pond to see the duck families. Having a lackluster day? Go watch ducks enjoying life on a pond. 
  9. Did I share the Keurig is working again? I'm enjoying  brewing two cups worth and putting in my insulated cup. Coffee is more than a simple pleasure, but need to remember to stop by noon and switch to water.
  10. And ...I've had some better knee days. I haven't had the non-active pain I had been experiencing earlier in the summer. I'm not sure it is glucosamine. I've still another 8-10 days on the 30 day trial, but even if mental only, there might be promise. 
     I like everyone else have my off times. I've been  more upbeat in recent weeks, so this is just a blip. I've the rest of this week and next, and then I have two weeks away from work. There's lots to smile about and I just need to take advantage when simple pleasures present themselves. 

32 comments:

  1. It's always good to acknowledge the small things in life that mean so much and make us smile.
    I smiled this morning when I heard the words cool front in our near future.
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Front would be music to my ears, andnormally, I am a summer person. We have excessive heat warnings with highs of 97, and thunderstorms this am that will likley just push the humidity over the top.

      Delete
  2. I am echoing your feelings about those "'Mercuns, fightin' for freedums." The ole', "I'd take a bullet for my country, but damn if I'll wear a mask to protect my neighbors dissonance." On the plus side, Faux News has started changing its tune on the vaccine.
    I got up early to watch the hearings, but realized I needed to protect my mental health. I still don't understand how we have a group of people who SAW WHAT HAPPENED and are still denying it. I fear we are only beginning to see the demise of civility in our country--fearing that it will get worse before it gets better. Ahhh, I've ranted on your blog...
    Cucumber salad is on our menu for tonight, with beer battered (homemade) fish and chips. With the exception of the mayo which I don't add, I'm pretty sure the recipe is the same. I am really looking forward to it. I will bake the fish instead of frying for ease of preparation. I made risotto last night, and think that I used up my tolerance for standing in front of a stovetop for the week. Hope you have more good knee days than bad in the coming weeks. Hang in there...I honestly don't know how you manage all the moving pieces you have in your life. You are ENTITLED to off days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the thing is, withthe exception of veterans, I don't most of the "Mercuns" ever take a stand aginst anything but their own best interests! Even worse than those that witnessed it on screen, the Republican Reps defending it-like the idiots on Janaury 6th were edcuated enough to even know who is who and a a democrat and who was a republican if they saw them in the hall, so they were as much at risk as their peers.

      Delete
  3. I have the same feeling about the new covid numbers. I call people who don't get the shots idiots! Plain and simple. It is so frustrating. I remember when both my knees blew up with arthritis when I was in my last two weeks of college. It was very hard to walk and so incredibly painful, especially the first 10 steps. That is the only time it has affected my knees. But I feel badly for anyone experiencing knee pain. Keep that stiff upper lip my friend as we are all in this for the long haul and we are together in thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knees need to get oiled each morning that's for sure! I dont need everyone to think like me, and can understnd real concerns (My friend Treader for one) who have had negative expereinces so want more data. It's the "I won't because I think its a plandemic" that makes my head hurt.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the joys you post each week, but I know how it is to try and keep up with them. Some weeks are easier than others.
    I don't call the people who don't vax idiots. I have a much more endearing term for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough when you see no compromise then on the other precautions. I wish the mask requirements hadn't lifted. It just woud have made it so much easier-at least then you could see those that didn't care, now we have to guess if someone is really vaccinated (And in so many states I woudld assume the answer is no).

      Delete
  5. What you wrote in sarcasm sadly is the way many people actually think here! Mayo health care just announced they will require all employees to be vaccinated (with a very few exceptions). I'd been thinking about switching to them from UnivWisconsin health system, and this cinched it for me. I'll switch in Oct during open enrollment. I'm glad to see you have some nice positives! Sadly my BIL passed away on Sunday (stroke) and tho he'd been very ill for a long time and was 87, it is still hard for my much older sister. Stay safe, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your loss and hugs for your older sister. It does not matter how old someone is or if they have been ill, when people we love pass away, there is a hole. I must think of positives-I reall shoudl wirte things down as I struggled this week to remember.

      Delete
  6. When we go to my town, we go to the lake in town and watch ducks while sitting in the car in deep shade and eat lunch. It is so peaceful When I started taking glucosamine chondroiton, it only took 3 days to achieve relief. Friends said it was in my head that it fixed my knee. But, for whatever reason it worked. My knee is hurting lately. I think I will start taking it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure not seeing a lot of releif, but perhaps some. I worry though that since taking it, I have not taken my multi vitamin, per recommendations. I might be feelig the impact of the vitamin loss as part of my lethargy, though I still take my vitamin D.

      Delete
  7. My happiness is that I'm picking up the kids this weekend from my parents. They've all had an amazing time, and we've had a preview of life as empty nesters, but we miss them! We are diving straight into chaos next week, with soccer camp, five practices a week, and a bunch of pre-school appointments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you have missed them. I'm donw to under four weks with my daughter home.

      Delete
  8. If you look for joy and moments of positivity and gratitude, then that is what you will see. If you look for negative things they will be absolutely everywhere. I get caught up in the latter far too often and have to consciously work at the former

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point. And when I am having a hard time seeing them, know Imust need a nap, or to eat better, or something healthier thn whining.

      Delete
  9. I love reading about what's making you happy, it's lovely to see some positivity in this strange world.
    Good news about your knees. Jon swears by his Tens machine, neither the glaucosmine or legal cannabis did any good at all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. I don't knw what a 10's macine is, but will check it out. I am not sure on the glucosomine yet.

      Delete
    2. A Tens machine is a small battery operated device that delivers mild electronic impulses to the affected area (you attach sticky pads to the troublesome area). It relaxes the muscles and helps release endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, much better than taking tablets. Recommended by the NHS and a decent machine should cost between £10 -20 (try Amazon) xxx

      Delete
    3. I will be looking into it. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. This is such a good reminder to try to look for the small moments of joy, Sam, even when we are feeling like everything is looming or weighing on us.

    I'm also feeling very burnt-out around Covid - nearly all of our cases in my province are from people who are unvaccinated. Arg! I just do not get how people don't understand how this works. My mom had polio as a child, so I've grown up knowing how important it is to get vaccinated for these highly-infectious and devastating diseases.

    Counting my blessings: I have a good job, I live in a beautiful place, I have an amazing husband and a loving kitty, I have a good relationship with my mom, and my friends love and support me. I'm grateful for it all.

    Big hugs to you and thanks for helping us all. You're amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys are there and Ihave more than my share. I've got some stressful stuff happenign too, but if I dwell onthat, I'll miss the good.

      Delete
  11. I hope your knee pain eases up soon. I know so many people who have chronic pain and it must be awful to have to put up with it 24/7. So keep oiling them knees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does stink to have the pain most of the time. I feel more limited physically than wha tmy brain says Ishoudl be doing.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid the ranting pastors! I've been having a crisis of the church since November 2016. I feel though, like I'll find my own faith.

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologize. My blog is a sfe space for rants and different views. I hope getting to rant was a joy to get it out of your system.

      Delete
  14. yes happy things remind us to be grateful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do-I'm trying so hard not to be a crabby old lady!

      Delete
  15. I’m still in the crabby old lady week. I did just get back from a camping at Itasca with my kids/grandkids and it went good. I’m still upset over adult kids saying things and kind of score keeping. So hard for this moms heart. (I have two sets kind of boy/ girl then ten years later girl/boy so generally closer to their own agish sibling.). So last wedding in 4 weeks so will not upset the apple cart and maybe everything will fade (or s… will hit the fan this fall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand-this is sort of happenig in my husbands family (with him,and his brother and sister). They all can get passive aggressive, and also verbally aggressive with each other. It doesn't help that my MIL clealry is intimidated by both his brother and sister, and never calls out their words and actions as out of line, but never has a problem nitpicking my husband (and as extension, me and my kids). MAybe I am score keeping on behalf of my usband a bit, but it is pretty blatant, and extended family is pretty aware of this bias as well as they have witnessed it.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.