Thursday, July 29, 2021

Thrifty Thursday-Closing Out July

     Another month of Thursdays is in the books. I can't say it was a strong July in  the thrift department in areas other than resources, but not a bad month. We really need to keep plugging away at the tasks in  the house and make the most of the remainder of summer as I'd like a calm fall.  Here is my summary of the thrifty positives for the week.

Time

  •  My great nieces party was a good day. I spent longer there than intended. With my daughter the youngest grandchild, we now have the next generation on a regular rotation of graduations for decades.  
  • I mentioned in my Tuesday joys, I let myself sleep in. Still feeling a bit under the weather, I stayed home from Trivia, and actually slept for an hour after work before watching some Olympics last night. 
  • Speaking of the Olympics, I am enjoying watching them-but I have to remember to not stay up too late. As I said earlier, we root for everyone. I felt so bad when a Chinese gymnast went back on the floor to wave after his  performance, but apparently that was an automatic .3 deduction.(You can't go back as the next gymnast may be already starting their prep). It may have cost him the gold medal-all for being excited. I was relieved for him that he won silver, with a ,4 score below the gold winner from Japan, so the error of going back to wave didn't cost him the gold. 
  • I got more cleared out of the "to be office" closet, but need some help moving a few things. My daughter offered to come again this weekend to help. 
Resources  
  • I made use of last week's produce by either freezing or cooking up and then either eating or freezing portions. 
  • We've got another bag of good clothing and assorted other items for donation.
  • I cooked up 1/2 the bag of dried chick peas. Wish me luck as I've never used dried chick peas before. I plan to use 1/2 for homemade hummus, and the other half to include in chili, though daughters has already been asking for more curry! It looks like the bag, which my daughter bought for around $2.50, will yield at least 8 cans worth of bans. Even a tthe Aldi low price of $ .69, dried beans are less than 1/2 the price. I usd the slow cooker so time and energy cost was minimal. 
Money
  •  No trivia for me, last week, but learned they won 2nd place and earned  a gift card. We usually just apply any winnings to the tab for the following week, regardless of who plays. 
  • I'm still just feeling listless, so trying to stay very hydrated. I'm drinking loads of water, which is free  (after water bill) from the tap.
  • With the stuff to dispose of, we are adding to our regular garbage and hoping to avoid getting dumpster, though we will eventually need one to get rid of a mattress and carpet. I'm hoping by disposing of things through regular garbage, we can get the smallest dumpster or even the dumpster bags.
  • I found a new, full box of regular canning lids and rings in the laundry room I didn't know I had. Now I definitely will have enough to get through caning jam this year. 
    It was a week again of just spending on items that are needed or on gift for others. We didn't eat out or do take out the last seven days, which is good as the week before was high. We have a family dinner out on Sunday to celebrate what would have been my parents 74th anniversary on August 2nd. We still keep the tradition and go to their favorite restaurant, but it's not an inexpensive place. What wins did you have this week? Like me, are you finding ways to save money are few?

19 comments:

  1. Have you checked with your garbage service to see if they offer free pick up of large items? Our local company will schedule a day to pick up free of charge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortuantely, no, it is an extra charge. We alos can be at risk of additional charges if we play the balnce game and have too much above the continer where the lid won't even partially close.

      Delete
  2. I used to buy dried chickpeas but it is a bit of a fag remembering to cook them well in advance so well done on that. And I hope you're feeling better now - do you think your feeling listless might have something to do with the heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wans't tha tmuch effort, but the taste nd texture seem differnt to me now. My daughter might be getting more dried chick peas to use.

      Delete
  3. Framing on our place has begun! It started yesterday. In any case, August is a no-spend month for me, with the exception of school supplies, if the kids deem them necessary. I don't think, however, with the 3 of them in the cc, they will need much.
    If I had found a box of lids and rings tucked in my laundry room, you would have heard me cheering at your house!
    Good luck with the hummus--let us know how it works out. I LOVE a good, garlick-y (is that a word?) hummus, but DH claims he can't stand the stuff. I make it only when I find cans of chick peas in the marked down section. Thing is, when I make hummus and put it on a tray of snacks (which I do in wintertime) it somehow vanishes, and I KNOW it isn't the kids who eat it.
    Any chance we can get a before/after of the rooms you are working on and removing carpet from? I LOVE a before and after.
    Tomorrow is FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mydaughter is using a 5 Star multi subject notebook, post its, index cards, pens,andpencils. Tha tis her extent of supplies. I'm not sure I really am up to before and after pics-I don't hink I'd cpautre, and quite frnakly, the before might make me just feelbad instead of excited- like I should have not let things get so outdated and cluttered. I had a sort of before showing the empty bed last week.

      Delete
  4. I see someone suggested seeing if your garbage service offers a certain day to pick up large items. When my husband was cleaning out his dads house, he found out Waste Management picks up 2 large items twice a month, as part of their already paid for service. (Northeast Minneapolis) You just need to mark them for pick up, so I would check with your city or service. My husband and I have both gone through our clothes and managed to put together 14 t-shirts (most new or barely worn) plus a couple of nice sweatshirts etc. for donation. I'm currently going through all of my paperbacks and a few hardcovers to also donate. (there are a lot of books) I have felt that feeling of no energy this past week and I think it was due to the heat. And today we have a lot of smoke haze in the air, bad enough that you can also actually smell the smoke from the wildfires. Nextdoor indicated the MPCA announced a air quality alert from 10 pm last night until 3 pm tomorrow. It's bad - I've never experienced this before. Really bad for people with breathing issues. It is harder to be frugal, especially with prices going up and availability becoming limited. I have been trying to keep various shelf stable items on hand, so if push comes to shove, I will have some extra items to work with for meals. Also have been buying extra cat food. Sometimes their favorites aren't available and are on back order, so get then when I can. I always have this feeling I should be preparing for something and I struggle with what I should be buying, to be prepared, if that makes any sense at all. It's been a few weeks of uneasiness. We also need rain in our area. Almost all of the storms and rain showers go around us or don't even reach the ground. I know we're not alone with that need. I hope you feel better soon. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would get charged, and with so mnay things, it might be more cost effective to have the smallest dumpster or retrieval bag. I do know wha tyou mean about the feeling of needing to be better prepared. I do think the haze and heat together are making breathing icky.

      Delete
    2. I just read that they have extended the air quality alert through Tuesday 3:00 PM. It seemed a bit better here today. Not very smoky smelling. I don't know how they manage in other areas that deal with this every season. Ranee

      Delete
  5. WOW FINDING A BOX OF CANNING THINGS IS A TREASURE IN THIS DAY AND AGE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been going anywhere or doing anything but did fall prey to a few "bargains" online. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive been going down rabit hole slooking for a porch bench/loveseat, or matching chair and tables. I'm about to click, and then talkmyself out of it. I guess that saves me money. I'll buy when we finally redo the back yard.

      Delete
  7. Yes, there are few ways to save money when I stay home regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then again, not being out the temptaiton to buy unneded things is gone.

      Delete
  8. I cannot stand chick peas. My friend who was married to a Jordanian learned to cook in the Middle East. I made hummus from Great Northern Beans. She tasted them before I told her of the sub, and she said they tasted fine. So, that is what I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like chickpeas normally, but not sureif I like dthme in chili. I hope my hummus tastes better.

      Delete
  9. Saving money doesn't seem to be the theme of this week au contraire we have spent it. oh the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We too were doing a bit of bleeding, but had both a couple snight out and family gathering out, so well spent.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.