Friday, July 23, 2021

The Friday Wrap Up

     


     We get five Fridays this July so this will not wrap up my Friday posts for the month. Each Friday,  I try and capture the comings and goings, ups and downs, and general  ways and means of my life through my Friday W's Here's the W's of my life for this week.    

What's top of mind: With the APA coming out with their recommendations that schools resume in person, but with mask wearing, I am leaning into to see what will be determined in Minnesota. Do any of you have different school schedules and are going now?  I thought I saw another blogger mention that school starts next week or maybe that was the following week, in August, in the UK. If you know schools are resuming where you live in person, let me know what the decision is around masks. With children under 12 not being able to be vaccinated and the Delta variant, I sure hope precaution over optics is chosen.  

Where I've been: I had a banner weekend with happy hour and games and cards at my sister on Saturday. The in person meeting was cancelled, so did not head into the cities. I've been to Trivia and the grocery store. I'm about to go treat myself to a take out coffee. That will be my fuel to power on in the  office.

Where I'm going: I've got a graduation party for a great niece tomorrow. My sisters and I are bringing dessert bars-mine will be chocolate chip blondies, and are taking sifts helping to keep foods stocked. This is my sister that passed away in 2013's oldest granddaughter. She would have loved to celebrate! The graduate just had her 18th birthday last week. She is still not sure of her plans this fall, but is thinking she may go to a local technical college-perhaps not until spring semester, and save a bit of money until then. With the odd state of the world, slowing down jumping into a new school seems like a good idea if not completely sure of the path. 

What I'm reading:  I read nothing but the newspaper and some on-line articles this week. Vacation is coming and I'll get myself some new reads.Interesting story. Last ight my daughter got a package and inside was a book sent from a Minneapolis book store. There was no note, receipt  or anything. She had  been Googling the book, and mentioned it/talked about it with a coworker, and then it just showed up. She thinks maybe the coworker, a younger  regular staff whom she has developed a good rapport, might have sent it as a gift, but didn't say anything. It was a bit odd, but she'll find out today hopefully if that is the source. 

What I'm listening to: Again, not much of anything this week. I've been meeting swamped so little time to stream radio in the background. We heard a bit of the live music this weekend, but passed on most of the town festival weekend.

What I've been watching: Wow-another, not really sure category. We've had a few Criminal Minds episodes on, and of course some of the YouTube channels I watch. I have no recommendations for anyone. Oh, the Olympic Opening Ceremony is on right now while I type this post. 


What I'm eating:  Wednesday, my whole post was on what I've been eating-lots of meals based on free produce! 

Who I'm paying attention to: I guess my kids and DH for different reason. DH seems so tired all the time, but yesterday he had a day off and seemed in a good mood, and puttered in the yard before it got hot. He really needs time off work so August 8th can't come soon enough. All the kids are doing well, but each have their own  restlessness if that make sense. My older daughter in particular as she is underutilized for the things she thought she was hired to do. Contrasted with my son, who finally is getting the opportunities he  paid his earlier career dues to be positioned for. Then the youngest, who has an idea of what she wants to do after college, but as for what career, does not want to have an office job. She likes her job this summer, but has picked up from the staff that are there as their career, that working for a non-profit service organization  is filled with a lot of stress for low pay. Well, her mother could have told her that, but I guess you need to experience it directly. 

What I'm planning: I'm starting to plan the first week of mybAugust vacation time, the week DH is also off. We will spend the bulk of the week at the cabin. We don't have a definite schedule with the friends, but looking forward to days of boating, corn hole, swimming, and doing nothing but lounging on the lake. As for a fall get away, I've soured on the drive south so trying to look at other routes. We've wanted to go to Door County for a long time and this might be the right year. 

What's Making Me Smile: Thinking of my sister who had the birthday last weekend and how happy she was to get together with all of us makes me smile. All nine of us siblings were at my sisters for games and cards. Her birthday is just nine days after what would have been her wedding anniversary. This is the sister that lost her husband unexpectedly last March.

     I really have a pretty good life. It is not exciting, or full of travel and  glamorous events, but it's not filled with chaos and drama right now either and I'll take that. While glam will never be part of  my life, travel will come back. Until then, I'll keep looking to learn through blogs and vlogs about life in other places. How did you week go? 

     

20 comments:

  1. No final decision on schools here, but masks, be we on a hybrid or full schedule, will be required.
    My youngest has enrolled in the dual enrollment at a different CC than his siblings. The campus he chose, in ordinary times, has the bulk of their classes in person versus online anyway. He will have 3 in person classes, masks required to enter the building. Once in the classroom at their desks, the professor has final say, from what I understand. His classes will not start at the cc until mid-SeptemberI so things may change. (H.S. starts early September, but calendar hasn't been voted on yet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a tough call righ tnow, and very politicized to be sure.

      Delete
  2. What's top of mind: What time is Gardeners' World on?
    Where I've been: Other than the charity shops in a town 4 miles down the road on Tuesday & the garden centre on Wednesday, nowhere!
    Where I'm going: No further than the garden until Sunday when I’ll venture to the charity shop in town.

    What I'm reading:  Astray by Emma Donaghue
    What I'm listening to:  Jon’s got Pointless on in the kitchen, I’m shouting out the answers.
    What I've been watching: Bingeing on the second series of Baptiste on the BBC
    What I'm eating: A spinach, leek and West Country Cheddar cheese parcel (or will be when Jon’s cooked it)
    Who I'm paying attention to: Nobody.
    What I'm planning: I’m not.
    What's making me smile: The spectacular display of Lucifer Crocosmia I can see from the window.

    Have a fab weekend, Sam! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Pointless. So much I can't answer as it is very UK specifc, but smetimes I feel so smart when I play along and do well. I have to bake a pan of cookie bars, so am strategizing the best time to do so as not to heat up the house.

      Delete
  3. You've probably already heard in Florida our idiot of a governor says masks will not be required in any Florida schools, all while selling his 'Don't Fauci my Florida' merchandise to fund his campaign. I'll leave it at that before I go into a full blown rant.

    It sounds like you've had a great week Sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the most sickening display of politicizing a health crisis I have ever heard.

      Delete
    2. Heh. I loved the beach, but there's a reason I sold our Panhandle place.

      Delete
  4. You came from a family of nine? That is amazing! I had to crack up about bars. You call sheet cookies Bars in Minnesota and Dakotas. I remember my mother doing that when we moved to Montana, people, did not know what we were talking about. We will all be back in school here and have been with masks since Jan. But we have a boatload of anti vaccer's here. Idiots. There I said it I feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Actually, family of 10 of us. I have a sister who passed away 7 1/2 year ago. Yes-I say bars, but figured readers might not know what I meant so said, dessert bars-hope it was clear. Since we are at the year point where the testing group have been vaccinated, there should be better data to get out on the impact one year later. By December, the first group of the older people will be a tthe oe year milestone. I hope the increased data is enough to help people who genuinely are scared of the emergency use vaccine, not anti-vax just to be political, will be moved to take the leap and get their vaccine.

      Delete
  5. We're in one of the most (COVID) conservative counties in the US, so masks required for schools. We start in a few weeks. Both of my kids are vaccinated of course, and will be going to high school, so everyone there, barring a health issue, will have had a chance to be vaccinated. In California, you can be vaccinated even if your parents don't want you to be. I feel so sad for kids who want to be vaccinated, & for parents preventing them.

    I'm drinking a smoothie, using up a nectarine from the bottom of the drawer. I like to add a bit of protein powder, peanut butter, a frozen banana, a handful of frozen strawberries, water, and a bit of ice. It's delicious.

    I'm watching Bosch these days. I forgot about that series, but am enjoying it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully highschool will feel more regular this year. I'm worried about elementary school the most. The smoothie sounds good.

      Delete
  6. Here in Ontario I don't think a decision has been made about masks for September. We were in person from September 2020-April 2021 and the children (and staff) wore masks all day - except for eating. Honestly it was not a huge issue for the kids (especially the younger ones). I hope that it will be continued at least into the fall as none of my students will have been vaccinated by the time we go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one likes to wear but it just was a precaution for safety. I hope your kids stay healthy.

      Delete
  7. It's nice being part of a big family that gets along isn't it. It's a special relationship as you have known each other so long. As for your husband, I bet that vacation can't come soon enough right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My siblings are a good bunch. We drive each other crazy at times, and are all unique, but for the most part, we enjoy each other. Sort of the same with DH's family, but they can be aggressive and overwhelming to us.

      Delete
  8. I love reading your Ws! I think of you when I write my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite dull on the whole, but glad people play along.

      Delete
  9. Lovely W's!
    I hate wearing the mask but have to since my state has an exceptionally low vaccination rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I continue to limit my indoor activities in general. We are shifting vacation plans because of the variant and my end up once again with just a quiet cabin week. Not all bad!

      Delete
  10. I love these weekly posts of yours (my apologies for the absence - life has been getting busy!). BC (western Canada) has 81% vaccinated with first jabs, and I think we're around 52% for second (many folks I know have just gotten their 2nd). I think it's masks-off here, but then we only have ~5 new COVID cases a day. We've been really lucky, but also really good with complying with the health authorities.

    My week:
    Top of mind: enjoying the last few weeks of reduced work hours and spending that time with my mom. I'm trying to really enjoy those extra days while I have them.

    Where I've Been: I'm not much of a traveler, so my "travel" involves going around to different places in my city. It's likely we won't go anywhere until at least spring.

    Where I'm Going: Mom and I are probably going to Government House's gardens tomorrow. Exciting! And it's practically in my backyard.

    What I'm Reading: I just finished "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett (great, except for the abrupt ending), and have just started another book, but am completely blanking on the author and title (grrr, menopause!).

    What I'm Listening To: Yesterday was Fleetwood Mac and the Acorn. I listen to the radio in the morning while getting ready for work.

    What I've been Watching: I started The Office (the US series), since I was familiar with the UK one (with Ricky Gervais). So much rings true, but some of it is definitely cringey, even though I know it's on purpose. Very funny.

    What I've Been Eating: Way too much chocolate and junk food this past week. Back to the fruit!

    Who I'm Paying Attention to: My mom, my friends. I have a birthday party to go to on the weekend, and I'm thinking about what I'll be wearing (my happy place).

    What I'm Planning: things are kind of up in the air, work-wise, as I don't know when my company is going to open the office up. I hate not knowing...

    What Makes Me Smile: My wonderful friends. I've been so fortunate to be able to join my friends, playing Ultimate Frisbee, going out for food and drinks, walking around town, going to Winesday and swimming in a pool! It's been wonderful, and I'm so grateful.

    Thanks, Sam!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.