Thursday, July 22, 2021

Thrifty Thursday-Can't Pay for Rain Edition

      Still no rain to speak of and the haze from fires in Canada is creeping more south with each day. A colleague who lives way up north had to cancel both an outing on the lake and an elders picnic. Well, they moved the elders picnic inside the tribal community center, but not the same as a picnic. That's just lunch!  I'd like nothing more than to hear a good thunderstorm and the patter of rain, but rain is something not for sale. Finally the city added a lawn watering ban between 11:00 and 6:00. I wish it was more restrictive. I don't get to decide that, but I do get to decide what I can spend my money on, what I do with my time, and how I conserve resources. Here is my summary of the thrifty positives for the week.

Time

  •  A good happy hour followed by games at my sisters was a good place to spend my Saturday.
  • With DD1's help, we tackled some of the hardest to deal with clutter in her old bedroom and the office is on it's way. 
  • I almost bailed on Trivia since so few were able to make it, but then thought it still would be fun. Well, we had the "youngsters" come, and it was fun-and we won!  I bought a round-which was cheap since three of our six couldn't even drink beer or seltzer, lol. 
  • I got caught up with a few  graduation and other cards that needed to be mailed for events we were not able to attend. 
Resources  
  • DD2 brought yet more produce home yesterday including sweet potatoes, both diced and chunked, a kabob kit, fresh salsa, and veggies and dip. We sure are eating a lot of produce. It amazes me how much  of the items are cut and then packaged and sold in grocery stores like that. I understand some people may have limited time, kitchen space, or decent knives, but how hard is it to peel a  sweet potato, or slice a zucchini, onion, and peppers? The price as it would have been in the store is on the container and  woah! There was a container that looked like it had an onion and perhaps a punnet of mushrooms.It was labeled "steaker toppers", and was priced at $5-plus the plastic container to dispose of. 
  • Last Friday she distributed 10 bags of produce to people who would use and saved from waste.
  • Daughter and I have been eating the leftovers for lunch. My fridge is overflowing and I fear though there may be potential waste so on my list for tomorrow.
  • While many things had to be thrown from the old bedroom, there was a lot of good stuff such as  winter coats and warm jackets, like new jeans plus movies and books to donate. My daughter did that on my behalf as she practically passes a Goodwill on route to work, saving me both time and gas money. We'll have another load this weekend. 
  • She had a few finds of items and gifts forgotten about (or were hidden by clutter) that will work well in her house now.
Money
  •  I already said above, but our team won $30 in beer money for next week's Trivia. 
  • With the cleaning, I found some treasures! In a box of old cars, I found 5 good postage stamps, a $20 Walmart gift card, and a $40 Target gift card. Never just throw cards and envelopes! 
  • I did a top off shop and had a few things specifically needed-yogurt and deli meat. I happened on a clearanced refrigerator case and got three packs, 14 oz each of Hillshire Farm turkey at $2, 66% off, and four Oikos Greek Yogurts at   $ .50 each-these sell normally for over a dollar and even  compared to Aldi price it was a deal. I also grabbed some little  snack packs at $ .75 each as good for throwing in a bag  rather than purchasing a snack out and about. They are really small though so maybe not a great find. Lesson learned, clearance is great, if the item are things you will  use and is still a good price for quality/item. It can be easy to get lured into buying because of the discount, but that's still spending money on items not intended. 
     The local sweet corn is starting to come in. A friend posted on Facebook that her parents farm will have their regular corner set up starting tomorrow-it's really delicious! I'm sure they have irrigated so the lack of rain shouldn't hurt the crops, but I do feel bad for the added costs they'll face. How about you? How did you spend your time, use your resources, and spend money wisely this week?
     

13 comments:

  1. I can't figure out where this week went, but I've been anything BUT productive/busy. I think because our build is at the s-l-o-w stage, (backfilling and pouring) I feel slow. Once this gets finished it's up to the framers, and from there it goes quickly. I know at that point I will regret not making better use of this time! Enjoy your weekend! SO GLAD you are back blogging. I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not blogging about anything interesting, but good to be missed! I'm sure you are organized for the move-you've been purging since your last move it seems. I'm feeling overwhelmed again just with purging my house and we're not moving.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how much stuff at the grocer, is pre cut. It actually drives me crazy. I feel the same way you do, just how hard is it to cut up a cantaloupe? I wish I could come play trivia with you guys it sounds like such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trivia is competitive-light. It was fun with the kids.

      Delete
  3. Love the redistribution of food to avoid waste, and the passing on of clothes that people will be able to use. Awesome!

    We've stayed at home (after an expensive weekend out) this week, and have been making the most of our meals. I also returned a couple of recalled sunblocks, and sold a few things on eBay. Just doing the basics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coats and jeans were good quality and condition, so happy to pass on. You reminded me we need more sunblock. Whats recalled?

      Delete
  4. You can have all this rain we have. I think this is the third week it has rained. Even when it does rain on the spot I am, it keeps us from going where we need to go, like to PO in my town. However, most days we have had gully washers. If the cheap snack pack keeps you from spending 3 or 4 times that on a snack, it is worth having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much weather extremes. That's climate change!

      Delete
  5. Today was the first day it has not rained here in a while. I am fine with the afternoon showers, but like Practical Parsimony said, we have been having gully washers here.
    I think your daughter finding people to use the excess produce is a great example of stewardship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's really leaned into her work. As I posted today though, she sees the frustration of the career staff in working so hard under stressful conditions for little pay, so not sure if she will want to permanently do human service work as a career.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sam, I wish I could send you some of our extra rain--day and night a constant deluge, and no relief in sight. The mid-west often gets a drought in the middle of summer, and while I deplore the fires and the farmers' problems, the small creeks and rivers get very low, and this is a good time to go creek hiking and exploring.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have our low rain periods, but this has been going on since May. april was rainy and then ... so little. Yes, no worries about getting caught in a rainstorm on a hike.

      Delete
  7. I did not spend my money at all wisely this week.
    We bought 300$ plus of groceries. In my defense, I filled the empty freezer for later meals.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.