Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Me, Myself, and I

      Besides the dogs, the company I most keep is in my title. I once recall stating that I regretted never experiencing living alone before settling down with marriage and kids. Well, if I could take that back, I would in a heart beat. I know I don't have a bad life. I have wonderful kids and sisters, by blood and by choice, and other friends. My neighbors are kind and helpful. It's just not the life I planned for. Yeah, yeah, I know what is said about we plan and God laughs. I better get off that subject so as not to offend anyone. 

      DD2 got home from Norway on August 21 late afternoon and had a hard  adjustment once again to time zone changes. She had a good trip overall but decided, hostel stays are done. I wouldn't adequately describe, but part her own anxiety, crowded communal spaces, housekeeping leaving daily ridiculous notes about requiring linens ( left on top of a bed with said required linens), the experience almost sent her to book a last minute expensive hotel room instead. 

     She's essentially moved into her apartment. By that, I mean she, her roommate, and the collection of castoffs are in her new place. While sparse, it's liveable. She needs to get things sorted and homed, yet another week + later.  DD1 updated her guest room, so her sister is using the old twin bed frame and mattress. Her bedding is from college. Their living room is a $75 second hand futon and a couple saucer chairs, also from her college days. My sister had an old TV stand so that holds the television and gaming systems, plural. We've scrounged the bare necessities for kitchen use. The bathroom has a few new things like shower curtain and liner and bath mat, courtesy of roommates parents. She's using towels from college. With her not knowing if she'll relocate in a year for grad school or job, she just needs it to be comfortable and workable, not designed. 

     There's so much work needed in the yard. Last week and this past weekend was a bust with the heat and our schedules. I tackled a few minor things after work. I need to keep on with the rock moving, but it's a big job, and with heat index over 100 multiple days, I didn't brave it. The laundry room was the focus, needing to be completely empty and washer unplugged. It was replaced last Tuesday. I decided not to replace the dryer. I just couldn't see replacing a perfectly working one. It's a laundry room that isn't even sheetrocked, not a guest room so I don't care they don't match. Plus, I didn't need a triple digit expense. The simple washing machine was enough.

     The bathroom guy came and did another measure and confirmed my choices for shower material, basin, and floor. I ended up changing the floor to a lighter tile. Actually it will be vinyl planking that looks like tile. I ordered the vanity through Wayfair and it was delivered the same day as the washer and is sitting in the garage waiting for the week of September 11. He estimates it will take a week. After that, while yard continues, will be the fireplace insert, with an aim to have it useable again by November. My brother and brother-in-law are tidying the siding area by the patio. It will look nice, but the heat was oppressive so they're doing bit by bit. The BIL is also changing my bathroom fan upstairs. Then I can paint and do just a make due for now update. I'm just keeping on the list, big, then a few small, then back to big. New upstairs flooring will be next year, and depending on how the make due bath turns out, that bathroom full remodel the following year. 

     I'm burnt out. Labor Day weekend wasn't great, not bad, but just draining. The heat was oppressive and I struggled being around DHs family so just spent Friday night to Sunday morning at the lake. DD2 came Saturday afternoon but she too left Sunday morning. I went to a barbecue at my sister's Sunday night, but DD2 wasn't feeling that family either so stayed at my house and did her laundry. DD1 had helped at her cousins business and stayed here later. I had a nice talk with the girls, sort of a girl's sleep over. We all had Monday off, but pretty much just avoided the heat. I cooked a bunch, sent food home with my daughter, and I'm good for the week too. I'm supposed to have Friday off but the week is packed. 

     Dang, this got long but it's been a few weeks since I last posted. No pictures either, so here's a gratuitous dog one for attention. Pups little paws caked in mud. Grandpup looking handsome, but the smell of rotting fish, lake, and anything else he got into sent him for double baths, plus his leash, harness, and collar to soak in lemon juice. Yeah, they enjoyed the lake. Take care all. 


31 comments:

  1. Oh those paws!!!! Too cute. Sweet babies.
    Sounds like you have kept busy. Som days we just need to be alone - nothing wrong with that. Glad your daughter is back safely.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me outdated, but I LOVE vinyl floors for a bathroom and laundry room. What you describe is what we have in those rooms here. Very taste neutral, no grout to clean, not as slick as tiles, and better for water. My next-door neighbor is a home builder, a very reputable one, and he said that flooring and countertops are where people blow the budget needlessly. He'd advise them to use vinyl floors and in the bathrooms, kitchen and laundry room, and laminate counters in the bathroom and laundry rooms at least, and the kitchen if their ego could stand it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bath pushed back to week of 18th or 25th as shower not in yet. After we redid the kitchen floor with vinyl tiles that look and feel like stone, the old countertops didn't look so dated. I'll not invest in updating. Whoever buys some day will want what's fashionable. They can do the work.

      Delete
  3. Such cute pups AND you seem to be plowing forward with so many projects. Good to read a new post from you. Take care of yourself. Lynn Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are doing OK.
    I am with you on the dryer. I have been through 3 different washing machines and still have the same dryer. Who needs matching sets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised how many people said they'd replace both.

      Delete
    2. We moved many times. I have had 5 washers (all very simple) and two dryers in 41 years. I always get white. I’m not paying for beauty in the laundry!

      Delete
  5. It really has been stifling with the heat, but it does seem to have broken today at last. It sounds like you're getting a lot done around the house. There's no rush, so take the time you need. Your daughters seem to be doing well. I'm with your youngest on hostels! I stayed in many traveling in my younger days, and it doesn't sound like they've gotten any more enjoyable. I hope these weeks go well for you, as smoothly as possible. (Those doggies are adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest isn't doing very well, but getting through each day the best she can. Today will be a good work day.

      Delete
  6. Love the pup picture, those little muddy paws are too cute!
    Glad that your daughter had a good time in spite of the hostels. Your bath remodel sounds like it will be lovely. I'm sorry the family gatherings are rough; I hope they will get easier with time. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our extended family in Norway were so kind and wonderful to her. She thought Norway was beautiful. I hope in time I'll be able to see his family and not just feel sadness.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear from you again Sam! We do seem to have the same to do list, by the way, with my fire insert just being done and all the bathroom stuff sitting in my garage waiting for the plumber to arrive the day after I get back from this vacation. I’m on another Solos vacation and can highly recommend them if and when you decide you might want to give it a shot. We all met at the hotel yesterday and have already settled into comfortable friendships! It’s nice to have other people to talk to sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bathroom got pushed back again. Maybe by October now. Then the fireplace. Today and tomorrow are work days.

      Delete
  8. We desperately need to remodel our master bathroom. It was converted to wheelchair accessible from the previous owners, and it means it's near impossible to use (picture no real walls, so it doesn't get warm & it makes a giant mess), which means all four of us are often competing for a shower at the same time. It's very irritating, but I think, ironically, we will wait until the kids are out of the house to do the work. Or, maybe this summer? I don't know. There's really no good time to remodel a bathroom.

    Re-envisioning the life you'd expected sounds very hard. Take the time you need, and give yourself grace along the way. It's a major adjustment for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the upstairs is ugly but functional, I'm starting with downstairs. That bathroom hasn't been usable for a shower in seven years. I just don't envision anything. Just years of nothing. I know I won't always feel like this.

      Delete
  9. It’s always good to hear from you, Sam. I’m glad you daughter made it back home safe and sound and is settling into her new apartment. Yours and the grand pup are sweeties! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the photo of the dogs ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point I had a line up of five dogs for treats.

      Delete
  11. Those dogs are just gorgeous, what a sweet photo.
    I'm glad your daughter is home safe and sound from Norway and that you've got help and what sounds like reliable labour to assist with your renovations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly things will get done, but nothing is right now. The dogs do make me smile.

      Delete
  12. Slow and steady wins the race! Fall will be here before you know it and it will make being outside (moving rocks!) much more palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear from you Sam. Looks like you are keeping very busy. Love the pups. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, but then lazy, then busy. It's quite a pattern.

      Delete
    2. Lazy is a harsh word. How about “resting” or “low gear” or even, “recovering”.

      Delete
  14. I too was glad to get your updates. I hope September won't be so strenuous for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still here. I'm hoping September is a month of loose ends being tied up.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.