Thursday, July 6, 2017

Calm after the 4th

I'd like to say this is my sunrise kayak picture, but it's DD1's. She was up before the sun Saturday, almost alone on the lake. Her cousin, a triathlete, staying at the other cabin, was on his lake swim. Overall it was a nice calm weekend. Sunday and Monday through noon were chaos with yet more jobs and work to do, but most people left Monday before dinner, having to work on Wednesday so made alternative plans for the actual July 4th holiday. DD2 had a couple friends join us Monday though yesterday. Even my mother-in-law left mid afternoon on the 4th, not wanting another night of loud fireworks.The time at the cabin started in chaos, but ended in calm.I have developed new coping strategies for when and how long I am there, and how I spend my time.I'll go out of my way to make sure my mother in law has company, and feels like she is enjoying her time, but feel no obligation to be babysitter to the young kids, though I certainly will from time to time, or indulge in drinking binges. 

I was back to work today and tomorrow, but already with another weekend ahead. Even with taking a couple extra days, and a day for my nieces wedding at the end of the month, I'll have four weeks of vacation heading into August. I've no real plans yet other than a long anniversary weekend trip come October. Using my flex days wisely, and my still to be determined hooky day, I'll have some respite from the work week and family chaos. I'll probably use a weeks before school starts, mix of staycation and home prep starting the school year off right. Summer is in full swing and there's plenty more of it. Best not to rush to fall. It will come soon enough.

4 comments:

  1. We had a great time at our family trip, but I have also learned strategies for it to be successful. A few that I put into practice from last year - I made sure we didn't leave the day after the 4th, along with everyone else. It makes the last day utter chaos, and the traffic coming back is awful. I'm so happy we came back today, as my sister spent 5 hours in traffic (typically a 2 hour, or 2.5 hour drive at max). We would have missed our flights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long trafic waits put a damper on the end of the holiday. It sounds like you have mastered the family-alone time balance.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you fount some coping skills to allow you to tolerate the full house a little better. It makes it so much easier. And how nice that y'all had a little time without the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really just lucky timing. With DH's family, they just have personalities that are strong and think what and how they do things is always right. We're just more easy going and like down time.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.