Monday, July 10, 2017

Upcycling Leftovers

I over shop for holidays, vacation, and long weekends. I then need to use up everything or suffer food waste. I did this again last weekend. DD1 did also, and left me with a half bag of spinach, and a made up spinach salad with tomatoes and cucumbers that we still didn't finish after she left the cabin. I picked out the cucumbers and most of the tomatoes to eat on huge bib lettuce salads DH and I had Saturday night for dinner, along with mozzarella cheese bread made on hamburger buns-those needed to be used up as well. Sunday morning I used up the spinach left from the salad, now starting to get wilty, to pep up my high protein scrambled eggs. I made myself two eggs with a whole wheat sandwich round for toast, the rounds also needing to be used up, and treated myself to just a small sprinkling of cheddar cheese. 

Overall calorie count under 290 for a breakfast that will kept me going for hours. Bonus, I got my first veggie serving of the day early. I'll use the rest of her spinach baked in (or in a crock pot) with cheese ravioli and marinara sauce for supper some time this week. In the original packaging, the spinach will last a few more days.  I bought this little square fry pan a couple months ago at Aldi's for $3.99. I'm very hard on small fry pans and the one that came with our cookware is about on it's last legs. I'm trying to take opportunities to improve my food photography. This didn't quite do it, but allow me to indulge myself.




6 comments:

  1. Using up leftovers seems to be a full-time job around here. Today I threw the rest of a bag of arugala into a smoothie in which I also threw in a few leftover blueberries - it was good! I will often use up leftover veggies in an omelette too; lots of protein and like you say a serving of veg in the morning! Win/win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get better about using up veggies in smoothies or pureeing them and making summer soups. Omelettes and scrambles are great for using up food.

      Delete
  2. I have been using leftovers like crazy, and I am getting kind of tired of them, but I keep on eating 'em just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad that I baked and took several loaves of fresh bread and banana bread because I thought there would be a cabinful through Tuesday and much went bad (no preservatives) so I'm doimg my best on other stuff. It gets boring but I hope it pushes me to get creative.

      Delete
  3. Looks yummy! I'm traveling this week (work, not pleasure), so no leftovers. I shudder to think about what M & Nick are eating at home. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll surprise you, hit the farmers market, and are noshing on salad all week.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.