Friday, September 1, 2017

Feeling Good Friday-Mad Dash Post

I'll start by saying, things are good for the most part. It's still the pre school year mad rush at both home and work, so busy of course. I'm switching my day off and working today as I am a little backed up and it should be quiet in the office. We'll head to the lake tonight, but I'm coming home either late tomorrow night or early Sunday. I'm going to enjoy Sunday with my nieces children, giving her a weekend day to do whatever she wants. She is managing as best any young mom can after losing their spouse, but I know I can't really know what she is feeling and experiencing. I'll take my lead from the kids-what they would like to do. If she would like them to stay over night, we'll have a fun sleepover movie night. 

Health wise, I'm trying to hang in there but I won't lie, I've had some challenges. My knee has been the real issue over the last week, pretty much constant pain, and I'm not getting good sleep because of it. I'm trying to not take too much ibuprofen because that upsets my stomach, and I've had some flareups there as well. Needless to say, exercise has been minimal and no weight loss at all, but I've avoided the scale so could have a nasty surprise when I step on it again. Still, there's always good things to focus on though, so I'll summarize my feeling good highlights of the last week.
  • I worked a shift at the state fair and was able to get there early enough to visit with a friend who's husband was playing in one of the band shells. I heard his full set even; his band is really good. He is the 53 year old drummer to a band that other than him, averages 24 years of age! I love this couple-the youngest 50'sever, but not in a denial of aging way. I missed seeing her boys and her parents as they came the day before, but such a wonderful family.
  • I resisted overindulging and settled for a gyro sandwich. Probably not the healthiest, but it wasn't deep fried and on a stick. I passed right on by the mini donuts, Sweet Martha's cookies, and caramel apple sundaes, my sweet treat favorites. 
  • I got in over 10,000 steps on Tuesday at the fair. My coworker had a fit bit, and I probably walked double what she did at the fair and she was at 7,000. We had split up at the point of me crossing the fair grounds for the concert while she stayed near the education buildings checking out future competition for her crocheting. 
  • I used up the last of another bag of carrots and yogurt, plus farm stand onions and zucchini and made another batch of curry. The dish is so loaded with good and healthy things, I feel my energy rise eating the dish. Plus, it is so economical.
  • I had a couple good long chats with DD1 about a project she and some friends are working on for youth in her new community. I'll share more as it evolves, but I am so proud of the incredible woman she has become. I'm also happy to know DS is continuing to hold his own, even in a very tough LA work environment. Success to me means following passion and dreams, even if it means material sacrifice. My friends, my kids, yep-they are both that kind of successful. 
How was your week? Were you meeting your health goals, or fearful of a slippery slope as I am? Cheer's to a good long weekend in the US, and for all, I wish you a healthy start to your September.
 

11 comments:

  1. I came home from the trip to a 10 lb. weight loss....woohoo! Now I am just trying to stabilize that and try to move down again for September by either exercycle or walking. Hope to lose another 10 before the year is out. Shhh, don't let the gods know that bit. lolz

    The kids are well here.....all 3 back in school(one teaching, two learning)and no immediate issues there so I am enjoying this weekend.
    I hope your knees improve with lake therapy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 pounds is an awful lot in a month. I hope I didn't give you a bug with my cooking.

      Delete
    2. No, believe it or not I did NOT get food poisoining even once this trip and I am so prone to get it.
      10 lbs. since beginning of July so a bit was lost before the trip and all the walking I did in triple digit heat and skipping meals had a lot to do with the loss.

      Delete
    3. Now that I think about it, I often do not put on weight and sometimes lose a bit when on vacation. We too often just eat two meals, and maybe a snack along the way. When we eat out on vacay, because we usually can't make use of leftovers, I order smaller portions of things I'll truly enjoy, which keeps some of the over eating at bay as I tend to do with the overly large standard meals, plus the natural exercise. That's it! We all just need to go on more vacations.

      Delete
  2. My theory on weight loss is that in order to maintain the correct planetary axial tilt the same amount of weight has to always be on the earth. Therefore to lose it you have to find someone to give it to. Lookout people___a bunch of us are in sharing mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My EX was SOOOOOO skinny that we could have done a transplant of at least 40 lbs and the world would not have been any the wiser!

      Delete
    2. You are both funny. Happy to know I'm keeping someone thin.

      Delete
  3. Sam do try some gentle yoga so good for joints also drink organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother ( look it up lol) everyday so good for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter does the vinegar-I am a coward.

      Delete
  4. 'for the most part' sound good enough.
    I am just starting being serious about my weight/food etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days, for the most part, is truly good enough. Mid life and beyond seems like we are all focusing non our health, and hopefully, finding positive camaraderie with it. good luck to you!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.