Saturday, April 7, 2018

Not Cut Out for Monthly Goal Setting-March Recapped

March was not the spring forward I was hoping for. Too much snow, too much cold, and I was not as motivated as I should have been. A huge project at work was an evening time suck as well. I had some pain days during my vacation week-maybe a sign I was supposed to use the time to rest my body a bit, but still not an excuse for my lack of accomplishments on the house front. 

Health and Wellness
1. Walk 60 miles for the month-snow aside, I can walk at the high school and the work walking map path-Maybe 25 accomplished.
2. Use the work wellness center a minimum of 1X a week, bike machine or the elliptical-Nope
3. Lose 6 pounds-Nope
4. Treat myself to a new hair cut and color (yeah-didn't do this in February either and so long over due!)
5. Read a book for fun
6. See at least one Oscar nominated best picture movies-Nope

Social

1. Join others at work for lunch at least one time per week instead of lunch on the run or at my own desk
2. Meet a friend at least once this month after work for a happy hour drink
3. At least one date night just DH and I
4. Have friends over at least one Saturday night-nothing fancy just snacks or pizza and wine and beer. -Plans changed. Met them out instead.

Business of life-Blogging

1. Complete taxes
2. Review will and retirement accounts, adjust as needed
3. Set up a blogging-freelance bank account so I can finally cash in my AdSense revenue!!!!-Still not done
4. Take and edit at least 20 stock photos for blog use-Nope, maybe about four?
5. Purchase an external hard drive-back up items stored on my computer-Nope
6. Move, store photos and video on a few SD cards and reformat them (I'm spending way too much buying new ones!)

Household

1. Remove and donate 10 item from my kitchen cupboards not used-Nope
2. Sort all plastics with bottoms and covers, throw mismatched in recycling
3. Pull stove, fridge, and dishwasher out and clean under and behind
4. Clean all window screens, window sills, and windows inside (and out if we get above 40 degree days)-weather didn't cooperate but insides done
5. Each family member purge minimum of one trash bag of clothes-Nope
6. Organize and purge books and old magazines-Nope
7. Spruce up guest room-Nope
8. Rehang art work we want in family room-Nope
9. Hang Family sign made last September in the bar area (see below)-Nope
10.Set-up Wii, gaming area of family room-Nope
11. Completely clear and start fresh in my entry and entry closet, leaving nothing but items needed by current household members. Donate old sports equipment, coats, etc. 

Home Projects-This whole area is a big Nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (except DH did regrout and a touch up paint-not the job I wanted accomplished though

1. Repair walls and grout around the upstairs bathroom tub
2. Paint upstairs bathroom
3. Fix ceiling panel in downstairs bathroom, tape, mud, sand, and paint
4. Create  Dry bar area in family room-repurpose piece of furniture and bar ware from own or thrift store

All this still needs to be accomplished. I think I'll take a good look at what needs to be done, what can be done on a night by night basis, over the upcoming weekends. Maybe April will feel more productive. 

12 comments:

  1. Perhaps you need to show yourself more grace and reduce the amount of items on your list each month. Being overly ambitious when time/life doesn't allow for accomplishing as much as you WANT to get done each month can be unmotivating.....ask me how I know this. lolz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slugmamma has said just what I was thinking. One of my favourite poems says, "Beyond a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself". We are called to be human beings not super beings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is why I don't make lists anymore - who needs the guilt LOL? However, I can relate to so many of your listed items - I don't think in 22 years of teaching that I ever ate anywhere other than my desk :( My strategy now is when I think of something that needs doing I do it there and then and/or go buy what I need to get it done. But then...I'm retired and have the time to approach things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slugmama and Jane echo my sentiments. While lists are a helpful tool, they can sometimes overwhelm you, (and by you, I mean me,) making you concentrate on all that you didn't get done, not on what you did complete. For that reason, I don't even do a weekly meal plan--it became disheartening to see how many times I went off it. Now, it's a loose idea based on what's available/on sale for the week/on our calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam don’t be so hard on yourself I keep saying the winter months are for rest reflection and regeneration ie hibernation lol. Spring is coming slowly but now is the time to pick away at all those jobs one at a time slowly and mindfully. Give yourself a lot more self love Sam reading your blog I know you work hard in all areas of your life but you appear to be so hard on yourself if you don’t tick everything off on your lists. Congratulate yourself on everything you did do and do something nice for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You crossed off quite a lot! I think you're being hard on yourself as a number of things on the list don't seem to be your sole responsibility. You need others to be on board before some of them can be accomplished.
    Be kind to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps you are overestimating how much free time you really have. It looks to me like you've achieved lots. When I did my CBT course one of the ideas was to write down what you actually do in the day. It makes for surprising reading as you'll find you do a whole heap of stuff that you don't even realise. I've seen people set a kitchen timer for 15 mins...perhaps there's a few small things you could get done this wayxx
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all the others too. That's a helluva list to ad to your day-to-day responsibilities and not allowing down time. I always think I will make a list but I know it would sit there looing at me "guilting me out". What I do do though at the weekend is write two or three things I want to get done those days and that seems to work for me. Like the others said, cut yourself some slack - you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My list was not so long, but not much was accomplished either. However, overall you did a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The happy hour goal with drinks and good cheer makes up for the ones not met.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey all. thanks for all the comments. To clarify, I'm not particualllry stressed about not accomplishing my massive to do list. I just would have like to accomplish more. Setting lists and trying-the best I can hope for, but I'll keep plodding along. My social goals are well in play and that is good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. But look at what you did get done.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.