Sunday, May 27, 2018

Chicken Salad-Memorial Day Weekend Staple

I ended up mixing up the menu I had planned a bit. I didn't stop at Aldi's on the way one yesterday, and so my budget woudl have been way out of wack so I improvised when I went to the store near me Saturday morning. I had loads of the cooked chicken left so decided to make a chicken pasta salad instead of tuna. My sister J had a delicious chicken salad but I've never quite been able to replicate. She would marinate the cooked chicken in  French dressing, but that's all I know of her recipe. Instead, I like to make a mock version of a D'Amico and sons salad.




Here it is;
2 Cups diced chicken or turkey
8 ounces cooked pasta (rotini or farfalle work well)
1 cup dried cranberries or Craisins
1 cup slivered almonds (but I used sun flower seeds)
1 cup diced celery
Dressing to taste about 1 cup, more or less

So yummy! I  just make the dressing, as one of my sisters has a nut allergy but the real recipe calls for poppy seed dressing and the poppy seeds are in that same category, with just apple cider vinegar and sugar dissolved, then mayonnaise and pepper. It has almost the same taste without the poppy seeds.

I made  brownies from a mix. Instead of hummus, I made some veggie dip with the remaining sour cream I had on hand, onion flakes and garlic, and a bit of ranch dressing. I  had a cucumber already so ended up bringing celery, carrots and cucumber with the dip, the tortilla roll ups, brats instead of chicken, and ground chicken burgers. Oh, and I made a dozen muffins.  I wrote this yesterday afternoon after I did food prep an packing. I spent a total of  $27.69 on groceries so am still in my $380 for May game. This included some of the lemonade mix like Crystal light and two jugs of  ice tea lemonade. I already have salad greens, though they my have been eaten Saturday, but  bringing my share of the common meals.

So now, my weekend contributions and remander of the week look like this:
Cabin food
Chicken Burgers and buns
Italian Sausage/Brats and buns
Chicken Salad
Green Salad
Veggies and dip-minus cherry tomatoes because they were really expensive
Tortilla roll ups
Muffins
Brownies

Tuesday-Thursday
any leftovers   
Tuna hot dish
Veggie Fried rice
Chicken and broccoli hot dish 

Is anyone else doing any hosting or going this memorial day weekend? What is on your menu?




7 comments:

  1. "just love reading recipes from bloggers!
    Thanks for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No hosting here, just business as usual. I did bake a ham for dinner tonight, with a cranberry orange salad, and scalloped potatoes. I made a pineapple lemon pie, and a peanut butter sheet cake with chocolate frosting for dessert. Ham salad will be on the menu for lunches for the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chicken salad, but don't think I have tasted one like this.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a slight sweet and tangy taste that I prefer to just a may taste in the dressing and the sweet of the craisins with the crunch of celery are so good. Of course yo have to like those tastes or it might not work.

      Delete
  4. I make a very similar salad, only I use walnuts instead of almonds, and spinach instead of pasta (just mix all ingredients with mayo and serve it on fresh spinach leaves - yum!). It's one of my most favorite salads! <3

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.