Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Universal Recipes To Cook From the Pantry

I'm cooking from the pantry and freezer through November, stretching out  my budget so I can feel a little looser with the pennies in December. I was a huge fan of the Tightwad Gazette, written nearly 20 years ago before the age of the booming Internet, when people still subscribed to paper newsletters and bulletins for special interest tips. While the details may be dated, so many of her concepts hold true still today. In fact just last year My Dollar Plan revisited Amy Dacyczyn's top 10 tips. My favorite tips will be her universal recipes. I use the muffin recipe to use up bits of fruit, fortifying them a bit with oatmeal and yogurt when I have it. A main dish can be created with odds and ends using her  basic casserole recipe of a starch, protein, binder, "goodie" and a topping. The basic white sauce, while not exclusively her idea, is a base for some delicious and budget sauces.

Go check out the books from the library or you may even score freebie or low cost in a thrift store. I've had all three volumes since about a year or two after each came out, not getting them for a steal, but second hand. The ideas I've used, which I know I would not have thought of, have saved me the price of the books time and time again. There's even a Facebook group now dedicated to the Amy principles that I follow and occasionally participate in. Because I didn't originate these, here are a few links to other blogger and sites that have put the specific recipes into cyber space.




Basic Muffin Recipe

Universal or Flexible Casserole Recipe

47 Favorite Tightwad Gazette Recipes-Pinterest

I like learning from smart ladies. While some things she might have  shared back in the 90's are no longer relevant, and admittedly, I had an "ewe" reflex to some of the things she or her readers that sent in tips did to save money, the bulk is just as useful today. I'm saving deep for the foreseeable future and want my money to go to college, travel, weddings, and supporting my kids setting up their homes and families. The kitchen is a huge area of waste for me and boredom. Simple tips help me push back on both those bad impulses. 

13 comments:

  1. I remember The Tightwad Gazette! I even subscribed to it. Wish I still had those copies. She used to be on Phil Donahue and people thought she was nuts, but I thought she was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find her books second hand often (have my own master copy lol)

      Delete
    2. I haven
      t seen any in second hand stores or yard sales, but I would scoop up if I did for my daughters and son.

      Delete
  2. Funny you mention boredom. My kids struggle with it. As a kid, I lived in fear of boredom, which I thought went hand in hand with the frugal lifestyle that my parents imposed on us. Turns out, what I thought was boredom as a kid was a lack of contentment. Normal, because, generally, as a kid, the life you lead is more your parents' life than your own. When I first struck out on my own after college I deliberately had little downtime...you mentioned it, and I was for it. As time went on, I realized that I didn't enjoy the go-go-go, uber-social lifestyle. It exhausted both my checking account and body. Moving forward, I was a bit afraid of boredom when I left my career before my first child. Oh, sure, when the kids were toddlers there were moments that were duller than dirt--I cannot bear child's play--but honestly, I can't remember the last time I was bored, or even idle, for that matter. To help my kids avoid the floundering I did out of college, I try to encourage them in activities that might fulfill them over the course of a lifetime...not necessarily sports, though I do allow that, but things like reading, drama, music, gardening, coin collecting and raising Guinea Pigs. (I sort of wish I vetoed the latter, though.)They know better than to tell me they are bored. I will shrug, and tell them to go read a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely hear or heard from any of my kids they were bored-they all had too many activities and school load, but yes, I could fill a gap in pretty well for them! I like your thinking, Meg.

      Delete
  3. I loved her books too that were a compilation of all the articles, still have one of them. I learned from her that it ok not to follow a recipe exactly, to only use it as an outline for things like muffins, soups and chili. She was the master of frugality and almost zero waste, something I need to get better at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a master at 0 waste-some of the 'ewe" factor I had a response to, but my problem-not hers. I know she would say she got criticism for raising her kids an denying them things. A clean, safe, happy home with three meals a day clothes, educations, time with mom and dad seemed pretty ideal to me. I hope I did that well with my own.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I like that she did not have a smugness about it. She was deliberate in saying, this is what I feel I need to do to save money to have the lifestyle I want for my family. The fact that she shared her ideas, and welcomed contributors doesn't mean she was passing judgement-except to question the whining of people that say they can't save, yet have stupid spending habits.

      Delete
  5. I have the compilation. Packed full of tips and it makes me think differently when I read it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that her books made it to the UK. That says something when pre-internet, her messages strike such a far reaching cord.

      Delete
  6. I have the Tightward Gazette too. It's been a while since I read it but I will dig it out again as I enjoy going over old favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm due for a good browse through before any holiday shopping-gets me in a thrifty mindset, but also a mind set of plenty rather than deficit.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.