Thursday, December 13, 2018

Thrifty Thursday-Cereal for $1.00 Edition

I was struggling yesterday to think of what I did that was frugal to include in this mornings post. I stopped at the Dollar Tree on the way home last night for cotton pads and face wipes for DD2 and drink mix packets for me. I'm trying to drink a lot of water, but I've still not gotten used to the addition of chlorine in the water since the E-Coli scare back in late September. The drink mix covers it up a bit. I knew we were pretty much out of cereal and I didn't want to make a stop at the grocery store so took a peek and thought I'd just bag a $1.00 size of Malt-o-Meal frosted flakes for my kid. I instead, might have hit the cereal jack pot. These two full size brands of General Mills were on the shelf! I've never heard o either, so I guess they tested poorly somewhere, but if they are even moderately successful, it is a win. I know she likes Cookie Crisp, Reeses Puffs, and shredded wheat, so should like both. At $1/00 a box, I didn't hesitate to buy three of each. When DS is home, they will come in handy as he can eat 1/2 a box himself as a late night snack. Counting the cereal, here are five thrifty things for Thursday.

  • As  harped on above, I bought six full size (18 ounces and 20 ounces) of General Mills Cereals for $1.00 each. I found out online both were released last spring/summer at Walmart and sold for around $3.64. Both have best by dates of March and April 2019. At that price, it comes to a $13.24 savings.
  • A customer of DH's gave him a $25 Applebee's gift card. While not fine dining, I find the food perfectly acceptable for a casual dinner.
  • Even though these were paid for as part of our former wine club membership, we finally picked up the case and 1/2 at the wine bar. I'm counting as thrifty as we will not need to buy any wine for the holidays.
  • I'm about 15% ahead of my Christmas budget. At this rate, I will be bringing it more in line with where I think we should be capped. I am also pleased with the nature of the gifts in terms of quality and how much I think the recipient will like the item. It's hard getting a deal all the time. 
  • Low cost and free entertainment the past week included $4.00 holiday orchestra concert tickets,  drive into the country-nearby village and looked at lights, and a movie, hot chocolate, and wine at home instead of going out.   

It was a stretch this week to come up with five things-I know I took liberties. Things that were not thrifty, oh yes there were plenty of those. DH decided to cook a copy cat Noodles and Company pasta dinner. $11 of new groceries later plus using the last of the chicken, he may have succeeded, but sure cut into my budget. We as managers treated our division to breakfast of yogurt parfaits and breads. I was on paper product detail, but had to buy fruit last minute as my colleague got sick. For today's meeting, I picked up some quick breads and coffee. It just feels wrong to expect people to come from all over the state in December and not offer them at least a cup of coffee and a little snack! (We cannot use our funding for food.) Between the two meetings, I spent $44 out of pocket, and though I share this fact, I'm not complaining. These relatively minor expenses go a long way in building teams and having a positive work environment. And that my friends, is a bargain. 

Prologue: Neither DD2 or I liked the Dippin Dot's very much. It was tolerable. I'll add those to the food shelf donation and hope someone with a younger palate might like them. We'll finish the box. I'm hesitant to open the other now but think that one could be turned into a sweet snack mix if we don't like it as a breakfast cereal. A bargain is not always a bargain. 




8 comments:

  1. Heh. Cold cereal is a source of contention between DH and me. I can't abide by it...haven't eaten it since I was a kid. I don't like the kids eating it, and I can't even bear to hear people eating it. It's horrible stuff, and milk isn't so great for kids either--lactose is still sugar. I'd rather they eat a homemade cookie for breakfast than cereal--I'm betting there's less sugar in the cookie. DH, on the other hand, loves cereal. (Not surprising, the man knows nothing about food.) If he had seen cereal for $1/box, he'd have cleared the shelf. In fact, he has done just that. He bought an unusual flavor some months back for $0.89/box that even the kids wouldn't touch it's so sweet. (Cinnamon-sugar Chex type cereal.) I tried to pawn it off in a bag for eldest DS' Thanksgiving food drive, but he refused to let me put it in there, saying things were hard enough for those families as it was without me donating "food-like substances." I confess to tossing the remaining boxes out after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too each his own. I have no problem using cereal on occasion, and as a snack, my kids have all liked it.It's not like it is their sole breakfast, but with our life, it works. I guess I'm a low standards kind of mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am neither pro nor con cereal. I always have a couple of boxes of it around for anyone who wants to eat it. I guess I am a low standards mom too because it has never bothered me to keep it. When they were teens my sons would fill a quart cup with cereal and would "drink" dry cereal as a snack . They were physically active guys and bottomless pits. the cereal kept them filled until mealtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really-they can be bottomless pits. Neither of my older kids liked cereal with mil-and my son would com ehome so hungry after football, he would stand and eat cereal while his dinner was being reheated.

      Delete
  4. We let the kids have cereal on vacation & it's always a highlight! Love your low/no cost holiday entertainment. We also drove around & looked at Christmas lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is such a light eater, and if I can get her to eat something, at times I'm OK with it being cold cereal.

      Delete
  5. I tend to be more suspicious than not about bargains as no bargain in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I should have thought these weren't going to be that successful if they were clearanced out.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.