Thursday, December 20, 2018

Thrifty Thursday or Not Edition

It was another week where I had to look hard to find the thrifty activities. With the play with my friends and dinner before, extra expenses for school and choir, and going out after the choir concert with friends, my credit card (which will be paid in full when bill arrives) was getting a work out. Pennies saved where they can help so I'll continue to look for them, even if overall it feels like I'm standing forever at a cash register paying for something. 

  • Gas was down to $2.25 a gallon, plus I had a t cents off coupon. I perhaps went a day longer than I normally do, but filled up my tank-14 gallons worth. I did the same with DD2's car, using a 5 cent off coupon, but she has a smaller tank so just over 10 gallons.
  • While I don't need any more credit cards, I couldn't pass up getting a $25 instant coupon off at Home Depot for signing up for a card. This covered all but $1.43 of a palm tree plant, yes, for my nephew, and two filler gifts. With some of the home improvements, the card might come I handy for convenience and rebates. If not, we'll just cancel it in a year. 
  • Taking an on-line quiz and participating in one call, plus occasional e-mail surveys  through our insurance at work reduces my co-pay visit. This also meant that we had no co-pay for a dermatology appointment for DD2.I'm not sure how that worked, but I hope it was not a mistake.
  • The dermatologist gave us the ingredient list to look at to buy a generic brand of wash to use along with the prescription creams. It took me a few minutes to read labels, but the store brand was $3 less than the national brands. Considering she could use a couple a month, that is a huge savings. 
  • DD2 needed a Secret Santa gift for her friend group. With being out sick two days, and choir and homework catch-up, she put it off and was going to make a last run to Walmart last night. I used the stash of Target cards bought at 10% off, with a lip balm and hand lotion kit, the kinds the teens like, some boxed candy we had on hand, and she saved the time and the gas. She'll reimburse me. 
On the less than thrifty side, since a Trader Joe's was right on my route from Home Depot, I had to stop. while I bought sparkling lemonade and caramels for a work celebration, the lure of all the other lovely products was too much for my will power. Granted some things I bought, the goat cheese log and wheel of brie, I was planning to buy anyway. I waked out with their palak paneer and naan, orange chicken, beautiful avocados-not on special, organic Greek yogurt, coffee, and a delicious tomato  and basil soup they were giving samples of-so delicious. It was all good stuff, but not on the list. Tis the season. What thrifty actions did you take this past week. 

14 comments:

  1. I bought Uber gift cards (I use them for work & rides to the airport for personal travel) & received a $30 grocery store gift card in exchange. Very happy about that.

    Other things we did - I cobbled together two last minute kid exchange gifts last night out of things we had on hand. We also ate all of the meal/food in the fridge this week, so tonight I'll prep a frozen pizza, and then we leave tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Uber cards-I should look into that for my son. You are such a smarty!

      Delete
    2. I saw them where they sell gift cards at Walmart. I have spent way too much $$ this year but am vowing now 2019 is going to be different. If people know ahead of time, they won't be disappointed or so I tell myself. I have been eating out of my freezer though so no $$ spent on food recently. I still have to buy my prime ribs but I don't mind doing that.

      Delete
  2. Anyone this side of the Atlantic will be so envious of patrol (gas) at $2.25 a gallon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing the price in a petrol station in Brussels and thinking, oh not so bad. Then I remembered it was the price per liter! I'm surprised there is as much care travel as there is with those prices.

      Delete
  3. I've mostly stayed out of stores because our weather has been lousy (think massive amounts of rain and right now 70 km per hr winds). I did succumb to cranberry goat cheese the other night at costco, darn taste tests. I have mostly not bought any treats except those I've made for Christmas so it is a small treat but one we could have easily done without (but it tastes so good with wine :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the soup I bought. It was flying off TJ's shelves after people tasted. Cranberry cheese is so good.

      Delete
  4. I have spent a lot of time with Mom lately, so I am not really spending money anywhere except for valet parking at the doctors offices. Mom's doctors are all in the professional building adjacent to one of our local hospitals. I used to be able to drop her off at the door, park and then go to the Dr's. offices and meet her there. Now she gets confused and can't find the office, so I have to go with her. On any given day she can't make the trek from the parking deck into the building so we (my sister and I) decided it was time to go strictly valet parking there. At the end of the month I will reimburse myself from her account, but the past two weeks valet parking has eaten up just about all of my walking around cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne the future for you is a bit scary, my thought and prayers are with you.

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry Anne. That is a lot on your plate, but the service is probably well worth it for your mom.

      Delete
  5. I love that you showed your daughter how to throw together a gift from what you had. That is such a good frugal skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to do when you have a stash of $20 gift cards laying around! I try and keep the Target freebies you earn with purchases for occasion like this as well. They too have saved last minute runs to stores.

      Delete
  6. Changed dog food to Kirkland saving 15.00/mo (we have 3 labs and go through 30lbs a month)
    Changed my Onstar plan since the free trial was over
    Changed Business insurance from Residential Construction to Commercial Construction - 10.00/mo lower
    Dropped Dental Insurance through work and will sign up for MySmile 97/mo vs 135.00/year for the 2 of us and better benefits
    Deposited "extra" checks straight to Savings
    Focusing on making my Swagbucks Goal every day
    Its been a good productive week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my math is right, you've saved at least $338 a year-that's enough to off sit two of my mini trips for my kids college or show choir! Good for you-that is the type of scrutinizing of my budget I hope to do this coming year.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.