Saturday, August 12, 2023

My Life in a Long Post

      I'm working on being strong, well at least stronger. Physically, I'm trying to walk more and include some strength based exercise. I'm trying to eat better, get less simple carbs, more lean proteins, fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Mentally, it's going to be a long journey. My niece posted this. She's dealt with a lot, and just works harder- physically and mentally, when she has rougher patches. I'm borrowing it.

     Shout outs to all non-weak asses out there. I won't say I'm not gonna continue to have bouts of profound sadness, frustration, loneliness, and outright melt downs. What I will say is even if I hit the bottom, I'm going to crawl out of that well. I have to. Like the continued crap with DH's car loan and now not releasing the lean. Every time I call, I get a new hoop to jump through. They won't break me. No advise needed, I'm getting legal help, but dang.

     I need to clarify my post last week. My feelings of being judged are just my perception, and in certain moments, taking small irrelevant comments in ways not intended. That's part of my strength gaining efforts - let those things slide. I also don't want to paint my in-laws as bad people or toxic. I think they've all moved to a different place in their grief. After all, their day to day life, even my MIL's, didn't really change. Of course he left a hole for them too, but every day they aren't needing to reassess 36 years of plans and begin again. It's just a different impact. If I don't want people to expect things from me, I too can't expect others to act a certain way.

     I spent DH's birthday this past week with every one of those hard emotions. It was supposed to be the day he gave notice of his retirement. Everyone else (kids excluded) had a normal weekday I'm sure, though his sister sent out a group "thinking of everyone" text to me, my kids, his brother, and mom. I drank Diet Coke, purchased through McDonald's drive through, a relapse to my former bad habit. I ate something at some point. I spent the day at my daughter's so the dogs could play freely. I crashed with exhaustion and ignored the days emails. Yet, I got up the next day, drove back home, worked my job, solved a major issue, talked to my kids, even DD2 in Norway. I even booked my airfare for the cruise. Life went on. This is how things are; l can't change any of it, but can maybe change my facade. In time, maybe my outward appearance won't be just concealment. 

     Other things from the week were steps forward and back. The deck got taken down and hauled away. There was a lot of debris under it, pushed by dogs, cats, children the past 32 years so I got that all picked up for the trash collection Wednesday. The young man doing the patio has his truck back so that meant he could get the decking hauled away and start the gravel  and footings for the patio. I'm going to have to do something about the siding now as when house was resided, of course the deck blocked bottom of house. Now there's space between end of siding and bottom of house. The picture below was taken from the park. Yeah, it's chaos in the back yard. He worked Wednesday, then nothing Thursday or Friday. Fingers crossed he's back on it today, though I hear rumblings of potential storms. That's part of why I spent DH's birthday at my daughter's. Her back yard is a beautiful retreat. 

No deck, no patio yet. Siding solution needed. 
      The last of the yard waste ( for now) got taken to the collection site last Saturday. I even did some of the hauling myself. It's nice it's so close, and I'll take care of things right away going forward.There was a river rock border around the deck. It's been slow going, and will be ongoing until done as I need to be out of his way. I've moved rocks, just a few buckets so far, to fill in the front and side of garage rock garden area. I helped my friend water her various plants and garden while they were on vacation. It felt good to give back to her after all the support she's given us. I've done more outside work this summer than I've done in decades. I know I took DH and all his outside duties for granted. I just never worried about the outside maintenance. Well, it's my duty now and I'm going to rise to the challenge.

    I think next year I'll figure out some pollinator plants. I love this area by the pond. One afternoon I chatted with one of the water preservation gentlemen that are working to improve the city ponds. He told me there was going to be a floating island that would be anchored with plants that grow through and settle to the bottom. It's a man made ponding basin, but the improvements help it feel and look natural. My daughter also has beautiful pollinator plants in her deck planters.

     It's been quiet with my daughter gone to Norway, not that she's loud, but just the sounds of someone else here. I'll need to get used to it as she'll move into her apartment when she's back. It will be sparsely decorated but she's had a few offers of items needed. She's having a good time with extended family, like they already knew her. DD1 is helping her cousin tomorrow all day so grandpup will be at my house. He's just so darn cute and pup rises to compete with equal cuteness. They are confused about the backyard and why they can't go out the back door.

     Meals for the week were really basic and leftovers were either eaten another night or lunches. After bringing DD2 on Sunday, I finally cleaned out fridge and freezer. I bought a few odds and ends, but other than milk and maybe fresh fruit and veg, won't need many groceries the rest of the month. Lunches were leftovers of course. 

  • Saturday: Grilled bratwurst, fruit at my sister's ( ok and some tortilla chips and a rice krispie treat)
  • Sunday: Leftover chickpea and vegetable curry (I froze some for daughter too after making a massive pot of it Saturday for her) 
  • Monday: Rice crust quiche with spinach and bacon 
  • Tuesday: Weird because it was hot out, but with eating down pantry and freezer, I made potato crockpot soup with bacon bits, and boxed au gratin potatoes. I googled a few recipes for ideas, but sort of winged it myself and used  crockpot. As it uses salt heavy packaged food, it won't be an often meal, but with four cups water, more veggies, and probably two cups milk, I diluted the cheese packet, compensating with more onion and garlic powder. I froze some in a freezer bag.
  • Wednesday: Zucchini fritter,  broccoli, garlic toast
  • Thursday: leftovers 
  • Friday: Dinner out with family

     I hope to get some refrigerator pickles made this weekend if my daughter has enough spare cucumbers ready. Those were cantaloupe a few weeks back, not watermelon but now she has both coming. I also have enough cherries frozen for two more batches of jam. My sister gave me 1/2 dozen jam jars for the cause. I think I'm a homebody all weekend, no plans at all. I need to get my friend's house key back and another sister invited me to join her and friends out at a regional park for a camp fire. I'll see how I've made progress by then. That's what my life has been since we last talked. How are you all living August?

46 comments:

  1. Like you, Tony was responsible for the garden ( although we hired a gardener after Tonys diagnosis - but she has three young children so doesn’t work August )-
    I cut the grass for the first time today since Tony died ( it ay actually be the first time ever ). I cried whilst I mowed .

    I know how hard life is - and actually more complex for you as you are still working - and I know how sad it is . How can the world keep turning when our guys are not here ?
    You inspire to keep trying - when I would much rather just stay in bed
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting an electric lawn mower is in my list. I'm waiting to see how much replacing the washing machine will run. My daughter's been great helping me. Now that patio is in, I can start cleaning up and getting grass seed down. I'll put a ton down before snow falls too so with hope, come spring the ground will be lush. Keep on, Siobhan. I've been exhausted this week, but I still get up.

      Delete
  2. We are doing ok here, mostly staying at home, which is fine by me. That must be a great feeling to have the deck gone now and all the debris cleared out. A patio will be nice. We had one at the house where I grew up and they are very nice. I hope you have a good weekend, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a homebody this week too. I'm going with a big group to a baseball game and event Sunday. The patio is poured, now waiting for curing.

      Delete
  3. Sending you hugs and strength to get through the days and the weeks. You've had a hell of a week not to mention year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PT visits, doctor visits, paperwork(so much paperwork!), an MRI this coming week(we'll finally confirm I have no brain!lol), and grocery shopping is all that's on my calendar for August. I smoked a pork shoulder Friday and Daughter is coming over today to help eat some and the rest goes in the freezer. Otherwise I don't go outside or leave the house as it's too hot down here. We may use a gift cert. and actually go out for our Anniversary the end of the month but that's all I got.
    No garden this year so there's nothing to eat, preserve or can here. I miss it.
    I'd go to the campfire thing if you are up to it. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paperwork is the second death. The smoky haze has caused a perpetual headache and sneezing. I did go to the park for the fire. It was a nice diversuin- free entertainment too.

      Delete
  5. We have the tiniest yard but it’s still hard to keep up with. And it’s currently overrun with spotted lantern flies and hornets so I don’t even go out there much. DD and I got back Wednesday from our girls trip and she just left this morning with her boyfriend and family for a small trip. She’ll be back late Tuesday. DS is in Virginia with his girlfriend and will be back Monday, I think? Then we’ll have a few days to pack up DD, and deep clean the car she’s taking to college. Probably check out the county fair on Friday or Saturday and then drop her off on Sunday. That’s it for my month of August. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may or may not have had a hornet issue. I've used a spray several times where neighbor thought nests might have been. I haven't seen any, but need to move the pile of yard debris/ compost and I'm leery. My youngest is back Monday. Her hostel stay has been a challenge for her.

      Delete
  6. All is going well here. You had a busy week. You are doing good - even when you do not think so. Just remember - you have already been through the worst day of your life so far - and here you are.
    Enjoy the calm and peace of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's a way to look at it. I shudder to imagine a harder time.

      Delete
  7. You are doing better than most after a husband's death, at least for people I know irl. Keeping the weight under control is important to mental and physical health, as you well know. My big plan is to go to Dreamland in Tuscaloosa. So much for big plans...lol. We stay in. Tommy waters. If it does not rain, I can cook on grill. I am just trying not to die right now! I like soup in the summer. Right now, Tommy needs to cook the ground pork so I can make taco soup. Actually, I write down the cans to open and dump in crockpot and he does it. I do measure out the seasoning since he would just dump it all in and neither of us would be happy eating it. Right now, we deal with rain, rain, and more rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should get a change of scenery. In how many years, have you been under Tommy's roof, walking around him and moods. Go to Tuscaloosa.

      Delete
  8. You are doing great, might not feel it or even look like it to you, but you are doing amazingly well.
    I am totally hearing you in regard to workmen. We have been waiting for our drywall to be put up for over a fortnight. It got delivered, but the guys are nowhere to be found, so not really sure if we need to look elsewhere or if they will turn up at some time???? Frustrating.
    Your daughters sunflowers look great, is that a russet one? Years ago my neighbour had some similar, we tried to save the seed but they didn't ever germinate. Stay well, Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patio is poured and while the yard needs TLC and it needs to cure, it's what ai had hoped for.

      Delete
  9. We've had such weird weather so far this summer but it's finally kicking back up to high temperatures. I never do much in summer as I hate the heat but I 'm trying to empty out my large basement. As I'm on my own I lug small amounts up the steps every time I go down there and it really does help. After maybe just 10 days I can actually see the floor again (in places). It doesn't all have to be done at once so going for the tortoise (not the hare) approach always wins, in my opinion at least! I think you're right about your in-laws too. They're grieving in different ways but of course didn't live with your DH so intimately. You are doing him and yourself proud and never forget that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if I get the equivalent of a garbage bag tossed each week and a box or two donated, I'll be purged in three years lol. That is if nothing else comes in. I'm trying, Treaders.

      Delete
  10. August has been busy so far as we sort out the attic room in readiness for our household of 2 becoming a household of 5.I've been revamping things, despite having no enthusiasm for it. Surprisingly, they've turned out well so far. The decluttering feels never ending, but I know I will be glad when it's all gone. I also had the saga of the ED appointments, and at the moment low blood pressure due to the ED has been giving me problems. You are doing amazingly well; I think holding down a full time job, doing household stuff, and dealing with beaurocracy, all while grieving is quite an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your daughter appreciates you being there for her and her family. I've learned a lot these last 7 months- be there for each other, for those we love. Material goods, shiny objects, holding on to clutter, take away from the important things. The attic room will be a welcome retreat. You've been a good virtual friend.

      Delete
  11. It's always good to catch up with you Sam. Your daughters' sunflowers are gorgeous. They've always been my favorite flower and there are so many different varieties. Look up the teddy bear sunflower. They are adorable, Glad you're able to spend time in her relaxing space while they finish yours. We gave the garage a good clean up yesterday and we're both happy that is done. I'm dehydrating garlic today and my kitchen smells like a really good Italian restaurant right now. You're going to have roller coaster emotions for a very long time (like we all do) but it's nice to hear you being a bit optimistic about things. I think you've been pretty amazing at how you've maneuvered this incredible hurdle. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have sunflowers and a pollinator garden next year. I'm looking forward to it, so that's something for me.

      Delete
  12. I think eating well and exercising are very positive steps in the right direction! Good for you! (Please send some of that my way - I've got the exercising down pat - just need to curb my eating...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpup and I got a good one in this morning since it was cool. I have lapses in eating well, but walked by the potato chips when I bought my MIL a birthday cupcake.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I don't know who you are, but I will keep saying this to all of us.

      Delete
  14. I love that meme :-) And, you are doing great. I eat soup year round. It was 90 here today, but I treated the boys to Panera (gift card), after a very hot & long soccer game, where the boys had zero subs & played one player short for the entire game. That makes for a serious workout, so the lunch was a bit of a bribe! Especially as Sam was subbing for another team, to help them out. I had the chicken & wild rice soup, which is always delicious. I should really make one of the dupe recipes myself & freeze it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those boys are made of endurance genes. I still have t made wild rice but looking forward to making a pot soon.

      Delete
  15. You've been very busy. It's good that you have found a relaxing and peaceful place - your daughter's garden. The sunflowers are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's inspiring how I want mine next year, and what I can do this fall to enjoy now and prepare for spring.

      Delete
  16. The slogan reminds me something Marcus Aurelius wrote in his "meditations". Our job is to wake up and go out and be a human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm then doing that job right, even if I feel like a failed human.

      Delete
  17. You are doing very well. I put in 3 pollinator gardens this year. Hummingbird, bee and butterfly. I added some of each to my heart garden(metal bed shaped like a heart). I have thought a lot about maintaining the acres we have here. E rents 3 of them behind the barn. I talked to the two widows in their 80s and both mow their own yards just as big or more than mine. They both said they do trimming one day then follow up with the mowing. Otherwise they never trim. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I feel lazy for my daughter mowing my lawn. Getting an electric mower is on my buy list. Those ladies are inspiring.

      Delete
  18. Those sunflowers are gorgeous, I think most of ours have been munched by the slugs after what's turned out to be the wettest and coldest British Summer since records began!
    I think you're doing brilliantly. I love Marcus Aurelius's words of wisdom (thanks to Ur-Spo for reminding me of them). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can sunflowers not bring a smile? More have bloomed since this picture was taken.

      Delete
  19. Strength, comfort, and hugs, Sam. Walk the path you need to be on, not the ones others may "think" you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't know what that path is though. I think others just want to point me somewhere.

      Delete
  20. Sam; Sissy here, everything you say is my Sissy...you write very well. You will get through this, but it will never be the same. Sometimes you just have to stare out the window and veg. I know this is what Sissy does, but doing something always helps. I am easing up on Her as I have pushed her hard...but that is what Sissie's are for? God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have pushed her hard, and I think she appreciates it. If I wasn't doing my full time job, I'd need a kick to get going too. I still have lazy days where nothing is accomplished.

      Delete
  21. Sam, you & DH had the dance steps down after 36 yrs. You're learning a new dance. You are moving in the right direction given what you post. It's hard to live in the well of grief. We don't get over it; we get on with it. I came up with the "cow theory" while watching the herd out the window. I was even mad/frustrated/sad about their seeming complacency. They ate, drank, exercised, rested, went to the bathroom. I realized that I could do the same thing. This may all sound silly but when my life gets out of control, at some point I revert to the cow theory, concentrating on my diet, fluid intake, exercise, rest. I regain my sense of control. Keep on keeping on, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like you do about cows, with the dogs. They just do the same things every day. Just let me stay in bed, dogs! What month isn't, but August was just so hard.

      Delete
  22. This is such a brave post. It will be inspirational for many who read it. I take from it that it is about controlling the external with the aim of making internal changes. That's hard but so true, and in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave is not what I'd say. It's probably dillusional. I just need to be stronger for my kids. They don't need to worry about me while building their lives.

      Delete
  23. I was interested too to read your meals this week. I have never heard of a rice crust quiche. I looked it up and am going to try it next time I do a quiche. It uses less fat than a regular pastry, even though I am not gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice crust quiche was from the Tightwad Gazette, as a way to use leftover rice. It is a good substitute for a savory pie.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.