Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Budget Strategerie

Whether or not it was a word, I kind of like the term strategerie coined and still fodder for jokes from President Bush 43. I want to get serious about my various budget categories and have all sorts of  ideas of what to implement. The biggie though is a better tracking system of where our money goes and then finding ways to bring the spend down and plug holes. I've created a couple connected spread sheets. Here is my spread sheet for the Priority spending, the $30,000 target savings above month the month expenses. I'm already feeling budgetarily behind because the hotel costs are more than I anticipated and we will need one more night for Nashville than I originally planned for, unless we drive straight through.


Month College Show choir Trips Grad Party Move in Weekend Parents Weekend Choir Concerts Home Improvement Total
College-savings credit $21,000 Jan 0
Show Choir Trips $1,970 Feb 0
Graduation Party $900 Mar 0
Move in Weekend $175 Apr 0
Parents Weekend $175 May 0
Choir Concerts $350 Jun 0
Home Improvement $4,530 Jul 0
Total $29,100 Aug 0
Sep 0
Oct 0
Nov 0
Dec 0
Total 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Here is my spread sheet for discretionary, with line items for fixed expenses, and the priority s lumped into a single line item. DH picked up a few things earlier in the week, so this already has a couple expenses filled in. I am trying to hit annual targets, which hopefully then will let me feel more flexible when I come across a good deal to stock up, but also show when I need to give myself  challenges like to eat from the pantry, or self imposed austerity measures. I left $300 in the budget for both DH and DD2 for clothing. I don't know what either will actually need and I don't want to push my self imposed clothing ban on them. I also put eating out as its own category from both  travel costs and entertainment, but I see the three of those might be interchangeable, or borrowable from each other. 

The charitable giving is a little less on the cash flow budget as we have a certain percent of giving coming out of our checks right away that we don't see as take home. I target to our local  family service. I realized when I looked this over for questions that it looks like we give only about 1.25% of our budget in that way. I will say this next year's budget will be leaner than other years in what we donate so I know we could do better, but it really is more like 4%. 
Discretionary Budget categories Budget Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Total Plus/minus budget
Household and Groceries 5000 34.71 34.71 4965.29
Eating Out 1500 0 1500
Entertainment 900 0 900
Car Gas 2400 0 2400
Car and house gen maintenance 600 0 600
School/activity  expenses 300 4.29 4.29 295.71
church/charitable giving  2000 0 2000
Clothing 660 0 660
Misc. gifts/birthdays 600 0 600
Christmas 1800 0 1800
Total 15760 0 15760
Set expenses-allowance 26200 0 26200
Sh Happens/T&I 7800 0 7800
Priority Savings goals-detail work sheet 30000 0 30000
Side Savings 500 0 500
Target Take home 80260 0 80260
Actuals 0 39 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 39 -39

Both are super tiny print in order to fit them on as examples but I have these in Excel. and easy enough to plug in the daily spending. A I did a bunch of after Christmas shopping for future gifts and put those on the credit card, which will be payable at months end. I'll be entering those in the respective categories since they are for this year and the cash flow comes out for this year. I don't want to lose sight of what was already spent, but intended for a future use. I can then also leave myself comments or notes along the way. 

I think this might work for me. I have to follow strict spending guidelines and monitoring at work. I owe it to myself and my family t do the same with the household budget. After all, I am the CEO of Chez Myers.

15 comments:

  1. Gosh I'm in awe of your organizational skills. I just have envelopes in a tin (seriously - but it works for me) but then again you have family living with you and I don't. I would guess you are a blue or maybe green personality on the psychological colour tests (can't remember the name of it). It's really interesting stuff though. But happy new year and good luck with your planning. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of an Excel and spread sheet nerd. I like putting everything numbers related onto them. I used a more cash based system in our early years.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sam,

    I just remembered that I was going to send you some links to online content creation companies. I'm sorry: It's a poor excuse but I had the most miserable cold over Christmas and my broadband has been wobbly for weeks so I haven't spent much time online.

    Will send you some links this week.

    With hugs, best wishes for 2019 and apologies,

    Heloise Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life gets in the way, right. I hope you are feeling better. Whenever it works, I will appreciate learning about them.

      Delete
  3. I consider myself CEO too! I refer to myself as that, and freely let the family know when I am making executive decisions. Regarding budgeting, I don't budget as you do. I have a monthly amount to cover all expenses, like utilities, food, car, etc. Leftover after necessities gets used for things like gifts, eating out, etc. Leftover from the month goes to savings. I try to avoid going the other way, but it has happened. Call it mean, but if we have a high expense month, but I let the person responsible for the reason know when careful consideration is needed to avoid the overage. This year, it's DD's summer trip to Europe, and her and eldest DS' insurance. We acquired a new kitten recently, and I have no qualms about telling a kid who wants a new backpack when the other is fine, that he could have a backpack or vet care for the kitten, not both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insurance = car for teen drivers, not health insurance. (I would never put a hint of the burden of health insurance on my kids.)

      Delete
    2. I understood your intent on the insurance. We don't have our daughter cover it because her driving is a total time management help to me, but she ha had to make other choices. Show choir is a huge budget expenses, so she has les other discretionary shares of the family budget.

      Delete
  4. I follow a similar system. I have monthly & yearly categories, and track them separately, so we can see how we're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracking to this extent will be new for me, but I figure the discipline is needed.

      Delete
  5. I like your spread sheet and the fact that you are allowing yourself stock up leeway as well as seeing when to curtail spending in areas.
    Also so smart to have already begun shopping for next Christmas with a system in place to account and assign the expense correctly.
    Now here it to a fantastic year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I'll have a few months that reach $500, but months I'll do a dramatic self imposed challenge and get below $350. I'll be tickled if overall I beat the annual number.

      Delete
  6. I really don't budget, can you believe that? Of course you can look how my financial life has been. I just pay the bills and what is leftover goes to groceries and misc. There is usually not much left over, thus my frugal skills to make things stretch. But this year I am going to try and set a budget. I will need advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there is more month than money, its what we all do. ou are doing very well turning the tide.

      Delete
  7. Ooh I like your spreadsheet. Off to create one for myself

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.