Thursday, January 3, 2019

Thrifty Thursday in a New Year

This might be my most important post for me each week in the early months of 2019. I need to get in a thrifty mindset, work towards my savings goals, and not be wasteful on the money front. I made an addition, and then a correction to yesterdays post. I was seeing my column and felt "Woah! I'm being frugal this year at the expense of being cheap." this was when I looked at the church and charitable giving line. I realized I didn't account for automatic deduction that we do through our employers that we then target to our local family service. Still, even with that which I first would bring our giving to 6%, I corrected to more like 4%. It's kind of how this year will shake out, but if I can find more ways to increase my giving to our church and non-profits we support, I will. Of course I'll continue to have non monetary donations to the food bank, angel tree gift at Christmas, and so forth, but I've never been haven't put them as separate from regular cash flow. OK, update and correction of my mind, here are my thrifty wins for the week.

  • We stayed home New Year's Eve. We didn't even open a bottle of wine as my stomach was a little touchy, so we have that saved for a future evening. I even sent DD2 to her friends with snacks already on hand in the house.
  • Packed DD2 a sandwich and fruit between her warm-ups and the show choir preview. While a lot of folk were dropping off fast food and sandwiches from Jimmy Johns, she actually preferred jut a simple sandwich. DH made her mac and cheese when she got home for a heartier snack.
  • I successfully washed two work jackets on delicate cycle, a very light dryer to get wrinkles out, and hung them up. I'm trying so hard to avoid the ridiculous cost of dry cleaners plus the chemicals. Since these were thrifted jackets, I felt I could give it a try. 
  • This was just luck, but the hotel the kids are staying at changed from the original plan so we changed as well. The new hotel will be $25 les for the two nights and still includes breakfast. As I will set DD2's hair the night before, it makes it so much more convenient to be at the same hotel. We also earned a few Orbitz dollars for a future hotel.
  • I can roll over $500 in my medical flex account from 2018 to 2019, but since I didn't have the second throat procedure last May, I was at risk of losing a little over $300. I quickly  used some to get a spare pair of eyeglasses, so should be good for a while, and the last on reimbursable  knee ice, heat, support kit and high SPF Sun Screen. 

I'll pack lunch today and snacks for both DD2 and us for the road tomorrow. I have vegan bean soup and chili in the freezer for DD1 who will be staying with pup for the weekend. I filled up my gas tank again at low process plus a coupon-always try to in town as it is regularly 8-10 cents a gallon less in town than in the cities. These little wins I hope to just do all the time and keep the spending low. How abut you? Any new savings  wins for the week? Do you have some tried and true budget tamers to share? 

13 comments:

  1. It's so boring, but my best budget tamer is just saying "no." I have everything I need, and most of what I want, and I tell my kids that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEs-a great tool for many of life's stresses. Still, when I need to spend, I hope to keep it as low as possible for maximum benefit. That's why the hotel change was so appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Like you, I try to challenge myself to push the limits of what we'll consider (e.g. not buy something we "think" we need, pack food for traveling, bring leftover groceries with us when flying, bring our own coffee when staying at a hotel, cancel our cleaning service, not paying for dry cleaning, etc). We've done all of these, but for each of them, at any given time, it felt like a big change.

    We're skiing tomorrow/Saturday, so I'm trying to plan lots of food options, so we minimize eating out. There will still be some, but the more I can prep, the less it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate from pantry tonight. We'll have lunch before leaving for the show choir weekend, then take snacks for the room and for the competition and keep dinner light. I certainly don't need the mindless calories either.

      Delete
  3. Well done on not having to dry clean - I have even washed felt coats and hung them to dry then brushed any lint off afterwards and they came out fine. It's always a gamble but 90% of the time you would be ok to gentle wash. We have almost eliminated drycleaning - except for hubby's suits but he only wears them about 1 or 2 times a year now. All his dress shirts I was and he irons (I hate ironing). A frugal win this week was finding large bags of dog food - he is picky and I was previously told by another store that they only came in tiny bags. This is 4x as big - a definite frugal win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought about doing Chewy.com for pups food, but to maximize the savings, we would need to pend $40 and that would be a lot of his food here. It would be about an $6-$8 savings per month though, as even buying in one big bag, two delivered would be cheaper. If I reorganize some storage areas, perhaps. $70-$90m a year savings is pretty good.

      Delete
  4. I try to avoid dry cleaning and have washed many an item even wedding dresses and they have come out fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure those who sew understand fabrics better than me. I had good luck.

      Delete
  5. I used to really resent paying to have my ex husband's ties dry cleaned - it was about $22 a tie!!! And that was ages ago. So one day I decided to "see" if I could put them in the wash on the wool cycle. Oops. They came out shaped like a huge cabbage and I had to throw them away! To say he wasn't best pleased would be an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow-$22 per tie? My husbands tie's when he wore a suit for work regularly, were les than that per tie!

      Delete
  6. This month I am experimenting paying cash for groceries. So far I have spent 125.00 out of the 400.00 budget and that includes a trip to Costco. Just had to keep saying no....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm debating a Costco membership this spring to prepare for grad party stuff. I worry though it will be too tempting.

      Delete
  7. Do you have friends with a Costco membership? For just a one time trip I would see if you could give a friend like 20.00 for a 20.00 gift card to use. I'm under the assumption that you can use a gift card there and pay the rest in cash. (I asked at the store in Maple Grove and gave my sons gift card but he hasn't used it yet). I do use my membership but business pays for it. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.