Monday, May 20, 2019

The Week Ahead and Counting Down

So many more lasts to face this week. Tonight is the High School Awards and Local Scholarship night. DD2 was very disappointed to not gt a local scholarship. I was quite floored as well and wonder about who reads the applications, but they had 215 application for 127 scholarships so more than 1/3 did not receive. Still, she is in the top 15% of her class, very active in school, had a really humble and respectful essay, and was still not selected. She learned at least four of her close friends, similar grades and activities, weren't selected either. These were scholarships that ranged from $750-$3000, with an average of $1500, so not a fortune, but would have been nice to help cover books or put away towards study abroad. She is though getting an award (s) as stated in the letter, but doesn't know what for. Last year she received one of two for the junior class in Language Arts. She thinks it could be that again or maybe music since she was all state in choir. It could be more than one. 

Tomorrow night is her last District Orchestra concert. This covers 5th grade through high school and they honor the seniors at the end. Let me prepare for tears. Her orchestra teacher had the seniors submit a short note of their future plans and thoughts on their years in orchestra. Hers was pretty darn sweet. There are 12 seniors, all girls, that have played together since 5th grade, and while a couple are close friends, they all sort of gel as a group and were terrific examples for the younger students. The orchestra program has had ebbs and flows with involvement, and this has been the largest group of seniors in many years, so will leave a hole. 

I'm waiting to here if the powers that be in state government get their work done and decisions that impact my job will be decided. Technically, they have until midnight tonight, but that does not look promising. There can be a special session called and then negotiations can resume but has to be finalized by June 30 or programs and funding go on hold, and furloughs begin. I'm not going there yet, but did I mention that emergency  funds are pretty important to have?

I'm debating how much I will be at the lake for Memorial Day weekend. I may go up with DD2 after work Friday until Saturday night or Sunday morning. We may not want to bring pup because getting the dock put in and other tasks are sometimes more difficult with him being underfoot. DH and I would do a swap and he would come up and I would go home, giving me two uninterrupted days to get stuff done. I think I've just convinced myself to that plan. DD2 might come home with me as she has a lot of final projects before her four day count down to her last day of school on Friday. She has a graduation rehearsal, gets her cap and gown, and they do the final walk of honor leaving the school with the rest of the grades lined up. Parents are invited and I will not miss it! So that is my week ahead. A few busy nights with Trivia wedged in on Wednesday and paying close attention to what is happening in St Paul.

15 comments:

  1. It sounds like a busy week. Congrats to your daugher on her graduation! Big milestone! There will be other scholarships for her during the rest of her education I am sure. I also hope all goes well with your job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will have a sizeable package of scholarships for college (though a sizeable balance remains!). She'll keep applying as she can and maybe something will come to help a bit.

      Delete
  2. Oh so busy and so many memories made, my children are in their thirties so these celebrations are nothing but memories for me , but I love to read the joy in your words, congratulations to your clever girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older two are 28 and 30, so this feels like deja vu a bit. It is also a very stressful last two weeks for her, so at least school wise, I am happy for this pressure on her to be done.

      Delete
  3. Another child ready to emerge from the nest - you will have so much spare time after this! I feel for you being at the mercy of idiot governments to determine your paycheck safety. You are right though, emergency funds are important! Here's hoping you don't have to go there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have vacation time I could tap into into if need be, but then that would eat vacation time. A deal of sorts was reached so it looks like we are past the impasse, but now the policy details and fine points need to be resolved, so questions, but not fear at least.

      Delete
  4. As she is your youngest and you only have one left at home scholarships will be scarcer. They give many based on need and how many other children are left in the household. We noticed this with our youngest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40% of applicants didn't receive one and as it turned out, of those that did, probably 2/3 went to kids going to either a two year college or a technical school (many scholarships are rooted in trade based businesses which is terrific), or those going specifically into something medical related. those that did seem to go to kids intending on 4 year schools seemed to be the very top, perhaps 8% of the class (DD2 is about top 14%.)

      Delete
  5. Back in my day, any scholarship I received had to be reported to my school, as they could decide to deduct that amount from any grant they had awarded you. (I never heard of the Dean doing this, however) Also, if you brought a car on campus, and were on financial aid, they would deduct the value of the car from your aid package. Finally, any need-based grant awarded by the college required a minimum G.P.A. for renewal.
    My senior's FFA advisor really wanted him to apply for one particular scholarship. DH said "no," his reasoning that it was nothing for us to pay for DS to head to the community college, but there were others in DS' class for whom the money would make a big difference.
    DS couldn't care less about graduation. I think I told you he isn't even going to the ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand your husbands response to a point, though it is also an honor for the child, but we each have our own reasons for managing our lives. My daughters college will require her to maintain a minimum GPA, but nothing external is deducted as they cap the amount of scholarships the schools will give.

      Delete
  6. I know the "lasts" can be difficult, but they also pave the way for "firsts".
    Hope all goes well with the state and hope they make sound and prudent decisions.
    I have given up on that hope for my state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cringe when I think about the zealous politics happening around the country right now. Some state governments have truly gone off the rails.

      Delete
  7. Hope all goes well with your work, and fingers crossed for lots of great scholarship opportunities for your daughter. She sounds like a fabulous & very balanced student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in a wait and see mode. a deal was reached, now the details are being worked out, which leaves me still in a precarious place.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.