Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Business Trips are Not Vacations

Perhaps for a junior staff person attending a conference in a lovely city away form their home, getting to travel for business is a rare nicety. They get to try some new food, perhaps even get a 1/2 day or more of site seeing in. When you have a full time job and then some, the occasional business trip is more of a hassle than a good time. I literally have been on work status since 4:00 Sunday not including the insane o'clock plane time, with the exception of sleeping, and Monday nights meal, and last nights  trip to a CVS. I'm not a big net worker anymore, perhaps never was but forced myself in the past.  10, 15, 20 years ago when I first had the opportunities to attend conferences, I really did try and meet with my colleagues, follow-up on connections, and take professional advantage. Today, I pay attention to the presentations that specifically will resonate with work back home, but don't feel a need to schmooze anymore. I'm not alone. Two other Minnesota colleagues after we got a drink, a plate of food at the reception, and said a few, "Hi, how are yous?" retreated to a calmer table away form the noise. 

All three of us, after a long dinner the night before, chose to forgo a meet-up with others. I took a  walk, longer than I thought it would be, to a CVS to get a razor for my arm pits and legs, a lemonade, and a snack, but was back in my room by 8:00, working. Tonight will be a very large group for dinner, so I am pacing myself by checking and responding to e-mail in my room. None of the 10:30 sessions resonated with my work, and my agency. This is a really great conference, but very targeted to a particular sector of the education field, and not the one I am in. I would have been too distracted sitting in a session with no interest and likely would have been doing the e-mails thing  while pretending to focus. A new session with a key note starts at 12:00, so I'll join that. 

Another difference is the swag pick-ups as you are older and further in your career, I do not plan to go home with dozens of pens, stress balls, pop-sockets, Andean beads. I did though accept the tiny folded up shopping bag that always come in handy and I noticed a few of mine are springing holes. I travel with a carry on bag that I can carefully fit clothes for the trip, but it leaves little room for extras. Plus, I don't need the clutter in home or office. I will bring back some New Orleans Pralines for peers and family though. 

I have a lot of empathy for people who travel regularly for their job. My on-line  friend The Hawaii Plan, is on a much needed sabbatical from her, to me, grueling job that involves regular international trips to London and Japan. Don't get me wrong, both are exciting places, or I assume Tokyo is having never actually been there, but when it is for work, not the same. She writes about  landing, going straight to meetings, getting a bit of sleep, more meetings, and flying home. I almost was a flight attendant. I had been hoping for an airline job in customer service, but then they started fast tracking me to the flight attendant side. Thirty years ago I fit the profile exactly-blond, thin, the perfect height  to the range they wanted, and I still spoke fairly strong French. When we realized how low the starting pay was, the number of flights needed to earn enough pay to cover the cost of the uniform, and having an infant son at the time, I bowed out. I never got back in the customer service lane. My point is that I don't think I would have liked being a flight attendant anyway, even if my earnings increased and for all the free trips around the country and potentially the world. I do appreciate them.

Thanks for indulging my thoughts about work travel. Perhaps because this is my last summer with my daughter, I'm missing being home more. Perhaps because I am missing visiting with my older daughter and hearing about her trip, I am less focused being here. Maybe I just don't like New Orleans overall, or at least not in late June. I might just be difficult this week, but I am really looking forward to being home, with my family, sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night. What a whiny brat I'm being! 

9 comments:

  1. I remember when I was heavy into choreography for shows,having to drive 2 hours to an airport flying in the night to LA, running to grab a bite to eat, getting to the Broadway (copy) show, taking notes the whole time in the dark, sleeping for a few hours ,up early to meet with directors, staging what we could to get back on airplane, then drive home two hours. We did this all in a bout 36 hours. It was grueling. Did some great award winning shows but the cost was over the top. Plus I was leaving my kids at bad times. Like the day before SAT's. Just not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I feel very whiny after reading your travel ordeal. I'm only a quick 30 minutes form the airport, and have had a nice hotel to relax in once back at night.

      Delete
  2. I will tell you, from personal experience, New Orleans sucks in the summer. I enjoy going every few years either in the late fall or early spring but I am not a fan of the quarters. I am long past bar hopping and rowdy crowds. I much prefer some of the less touristy parts of the town
    TheHub is under strict orders to limit swag from conferences to either edibles or the little things that stick on the back of a cell phone to hold a credit card, since they have about a years life and everyone in the extended family uses them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that I might like the art and garden districts better, and maybe get out into the country side-in late fall. The French Quarter just seems loud. I can see how it might appeal if someone really just wanted that kind of fun and an experience-I'm just too dull.

      Delete
  3. Not a brat at all,just being honest. I've never travelled for work, ever, but in two weeks I will be filling in at another store as they have run into a bind with vacations and having to let another manager go. And I'm complaining about the hour drive there even though I get paid for the commute :/ I feel like a brat about that but really I know it's a win-win helping them and networking a bit. Just is hard to get out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in a work funk too. So many little issue so top of issues are starting to be larger weights. If I was gone a different week, not the week of fiscal year end, I might not be so stressed. Oh, and something got missed on booking the trip, so now I have to get reimbursed for $396 for two nights of hotel instead of it being prepaid.

      Delete
  4. My organization had massive international meetings every two years, mostly in exotic places. Bali, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong and so on. As I was in HR I had no reason to go and with my kids being little and my husband working shifts it just wouldn't have been possible. As my life changed I could have gone but my friends said "don't bother, the meetings can go on over 24h non-stop so you have to carry toiletries and clean underwear with you and then you run round like a headless chicken". So nah, I'll give it a miss. Plus beyond a certain age I don't think you want the hassle any more do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not whiny at all...we host 9 Customer Appreciation BBQ's a summer, just finished #7 and 8 this week. Imagine this
    Tuesday - work 8-4 then drive 3 hours, attend a dinner then collapse at the hotel at 9pm
    Wednesday - set up at 7am, serve a few hundred people breakfast sandwhichs' (that we make ourselves), switch to lunch at 10 and serve up 4 times as many hamburger, hot dogs, again all grilled up ourselves, along with beans, chips, cookies and soda. Pack out at 3 and drive another 3 hours to the next site, attend another dinner and again collapse at 9pm
    Thursday-do it all over again except drive home 3 hours and collapse at 6, then work all day Friday.
    We do this 4 weeks over the course of 7 weeks and the farthest we travel is 6 hours south and 4 hours north. Makes for some long days and tiring weeks, not mention having to talk to hundreds of customers which I dread because I am a 100% introvert.
    Now that's being whiny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really not great. I don't miss the work travel AT ALL. I find it so hard to get back into the groove when I'm back from a trip as well.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.