Thursday, June 20, 2019

Mini Challenges-Mini Motivation

Yes, I have a competitive streak. It has really come out again with Wednesday Trivia nights. Usually though, at this stage in my life, my competition is with myself and my self imposed challenges. April, May, and June have been hellish on my household and grocery, entertainment, gift, and eating out budget. with all the projects, preparing for and then hosting graduation, my son being in town, and a gazillion gifts, I'm just tossing up the spring to a lost cause and will reboot July 1. One challenge though I started at the beginning of the year has been a winner so far. I declared I was only going to spend $60 on clothing for the entire year, and for the most part, that being all on undergarments, socks, and tights. My total to date is $19.67. I'm not going to lie. I am sick of my wardrobe-sick of putting the same clothes on each week. My summer wardrobe is limited, but functional. I've made it this far, nearly half the year. The desire to replace some clothing items has been taken over by both wanting to be motivated to lose weight, and saving the new clothes as a reward and just plane internal competition. 

As for my H&G target of averaging $400 a month, not to exceed $5,000 for the year, I am going to have aggressive targets for the remainder of summer and see if I can't get that to $360, saving 10% of the target. Same with entertainment and meals out-budgeted for a combined $200. Dare I imagine a 30% or possibly a 50% savings target? I better not get too cocky and aim for $140, a 30% savings. Bringing these three categories, H&G, entertainment, and eating out down, will refocus my mindset o rebuilding savings after the hoe projects, and help us be more creative with our free time. 

Some strategies to accomplish this:
  • Cash for Trivia night-too easy to add another beer or two on the credit card.
  • Host book club outside of a restaurant. Now that my home is  guest ready, it would be so much easier to have a few women over rather than meet at the bar and grill we have been doing and spending $20 on food and drink. 
  • Maximizing leftovers in meals and double planning all food items. 
  • Make more of DH and DD2's favorites. This creates leftovers for their lunches as well. 
  • Al fresco dining. Eating outside on the porch or deck feels more special than a plate at the kitchen table. 
  • Stock my desk drawer with simple heat and eat items such as soups and noodles, granola bars. and nuts. Only use when I forget or have nothing to pack my lunch. 
  • My daughters and I love walking by the river, then having coffee and light breakfast on a patio restaurant. Instead, we can pack a thermos of coffee, and a breakfast basket and do the same at a picnic table over looking the river. 
  • Wine boxes-need I say more. I have a stock pile still of wine and I use for gifts and for consuming while we have it. We bought two of the wine box pouches for the grad party, each the equivalent of 4+ bottles at $15.99 a box. That's under $4 for a decent glass of wine that will stay fresh once opened for up to 6 weeks. I like a good bottle of wine, but for the savings and the lack of waste, I can do just fine with a Bota Box. 
If you have other ideas for little shifts I might make in these three areas, I'm all ears. Will adding $100 or so to our monthly cash flow add up to replacing our deck but next summer or redo the bathroom this fall? Not likely, but it is them motivation I need to get back on a careful spending track where cumulatively, we can spend less on a good life, and grow our funds for the needs and wants in other areas. 

10 comments:

  1. Eating out. Ugh. I don't feel as if I will ever get that one under control, mainly, because it is out of my control. I would prefer to save it for special occasions, or for times like now, when the contents of my pantry have been moved to my new place!
    The only place book clubs meet in my neck of the woods is somebody's home, or in the library meeting room. From what I understand, they are supposed to switch houses, but understand that some members are more suited to hosting than others. (ie: no small children or rambunctious dogs.)
    I certainly enjoy a glass of a good red wine. The past year, though, I've tried to limit it to only weekends, and then, only at Sunday dinner. At first, I really missed it, particularly in the fall/early winter when I love to sit in the fading sunlight with DH, sipping a glass of wine, watching my candles burn. Currently, I have no wine in my wine cellar, so I am going to see how long I can go without having any. In any case, the next week or two I will be far too busy to enjoy it anyway. I would never suggest somebody cut it out entirely. Also, I don't think my method works in my financial favor. You see, I figure if I enjoy it less often, then I can enjoy a better wine.
    I love your idea of eating on the patio. I love eating on the patio, but our patio set doesn't fit our whole family. I like to set the table nicely for all dinners, even if it's scrambled eggs and stewed tomatoes on toast. I feel that when we eat properly, not standing around and foraging, or eating in front of the t.v., we all feel more satisfied, and are less likely to snack later, which saves on groceries.
    If I had a full time job outside the home, I probably would double cook and freeze. I don't do it now, though. When I did work, my slow cooker figured prominently, as did the delay start function of the oven. People would balk at me putting, say, a lasagna in the oven in the morning before I left for work, when the oven wasn't set to turn on until, say, 4:30 p.m. I lived to tell the tale, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all really great ways to stretch money yet feel satisfied with life. I hope you get a bottle or two to restock your wine cellar. My wine cellar is a couple card board boxes in a coolish dry part of the house. Oooh, fancy.

      Delete
  2. A 4 litre box of wine in Canada is about $40 - so you can see why I make wine to get it down to about $4 a bottle - our taxes on liquor are ridiculous. Eating at home more does save money. We eat out about once a week but we could definitely do better. Often that is takeout and we only eat in a real restaurant about once a month. Restaurant meals in Canada are pricey too. We got takeout the other day for $32 :(. When I can cook a very nice meal ie steak or shrimp for $10 why pay more - except I hate cooking all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep looking for easier meals that can be whipped up o those nights I just don't feel like cooking. I need to keep cooked, shredded, or sliced chicken for wraps, burritos etc. plus salads. Meatballs prepared are versatile, and having prepared veggies help. Who knows what I'll eat come fall when I am home along three nights-though I need to haves something for DH when he gets home.

      Delete
  3. You have been very busy. but tings will reach a status quo in a few months. Just enjoy this last summer with your last chick in the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the party circuit is done, we'll have time on weekends plus evenings.

      Delete
  4. The idea of using cash for trivia is smart! I only get one food item (though sometimes it's a full entrée), so that wouldn't help me (I don't like beer or wine, so no temptation there). But it sounds like it could definitely help keep you from adding one more drink to the tab. And every little bit helps.

    Good luck with your targets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no food in the brewery but can order form other places, so that is a help.

      Delete
  5. The last year I was at work I was determined not to buy new clothes - but man I was so sick of them by the time I retired!!! I know what you mean about being sick of your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is going to be a real challenge. Since I'm not losing weight as fast as I'd like-snails pace at best, I'm not back into a few things that got a bit snug. Something light, just a new blouse would feel refreshing, but I am not going to do it.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.