Saturday, October 12, 2019

First Home on a Budget-Bedroom

This was supposed to be my September Saturday series, but life being what it is, I got delayed and side tracked. Here you all go, my final write up, using my daughter's flat as inspiration for  creating a first (rental) home on a budget.  My older daughter's first few years out of grad school she had very shared accommodations such as an RV on the road and an apartment shared with other summer teaching staff. She essentially loved out of her suitcase and used the furnishings and home wares supplied. Her first full time job in Wisconsin was a great career starter, but paid her about enough to pay the bills and tuck just crumbs away. Still, after so many years in dorms, UK shared kitchen, and loads of roommates, she wanted to live alone, and with things that would make her home a nice place to  return to the end of the day or a travel shoot. She has a good paying job in her field, but is saving towards opportunities to create more independence through more of her own video and editing equipment, studio space, and a house. She's also young and active and loves to travel, so overspending on trendy new stuff is not her style. 

My other two posts covered her affordable and quaint kitchen and dining room and her bohemian vibe living room. Today, I'm ending with her bedroom, a space I think she really did well with in terms of smart long term purchases that will stand the test of time and trends, and use of low costs buys, gifts, and second hand finds. Here was the bulk of her furniture purchases, choosing to buy a bed and decent mattress and dresser. She also bought the two side tables at a rock bottom price, but I don't recall where. Perhaps Gordmans?



 The bedding she got at Walmart and I think the pattern is so her, with the colors accenting the blue of her dresser and the gray of her head board. Paddington was a purchase I made in two and gave one to here because we both love the little guy and for her, a little throw back to her time in London. the set of three trays was another gift form me that she uses on her dresser for jewelry. They are food safe so she could use for entertaining as well. 


Storage for large items is limited. Just as she did with her long board in the living room, she just leans her snowboard up against the wall as sort of an art piece. I think it works. the directors chair she has in a  corner was bought for her brothers his red accessorized bedroom when he was two and we moved into our current house. There are little bits of red in her bed quilt as well making it a part of the room without needing to be a match to the blue and gray. To wrap up the series, her only new items were her couch, bed and mattress, side tables, and dresser, and even then, not with a credit card, but after saving and doing without much of anything in her first apartment. Everything else she sourced from thrift shops or from items family or friends no longer wanted. She is happy with her place, and I'm happy for her.






4 comments:

  1. Wow, terrific!. She is off to a great start. I somehow missed the other posts so I went back and looked. The living room looks really nice! How exciting for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that she is neat and tidy and generally only wants to won things that are useful or bring her joy. She also invests-rather than shops, if that makes senses. She thinks about the longevity of what she buys and if she will still like it a year, two, 10 etc.

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is doing really well and on a budget too. When I first moved to Geneva it seems like all the girls were house-sharing but I never wanted that - I always wanted my own place. So I got a very large studio and slept on the floor until I could afford to furnish it! Happy days though! And that snowboard in the corner makes me laugh! I had to tell my son to get his out of the living room (in August) as we had a garage and a basement that could be put to better use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She literally has no place for this, which is odd because there is actually a three car garage/loft on the property but the owner uses for his own storage instead of including as part of the rentals. I suppose that is one of the reasons her rent is so affordable.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.