Friday, October 11, 2019

The Humble but Tasty Bowl Lunch



     I think I am onto something. The other night I had a bit of a palm on forehead moment when trying to get a quick dinner for myself, walk the dog, and leave something for DH to reheat when he got home, and get to Trivia before 7:00. I knew we had taco meat and a bit of cheese, tacos of course. But, I found we had no tortillas, no lettuce or greens, and really just a few sprinkles of cheese. I did have the last of my basmati rice, perhaps a cup, a can of tomatoes, black beans, and corn and thought why not just cook them all (zap in microwave except for rice), and make a burrito bowl? Why had I not thought of this before? I could put my dinner in a sealed container to eat at Trivia; DH could assemble how he wanted once home, and it left us with two abundant lunches worth of leftovers. I can't imagine that the whole dish came to even $5.00. I rinsed the corn and beans to reduce some of the salt. Loaded with protein, it was filling without being overly heavy like a burrito sometimes can be. It sort of looked like this, but picture is from showmetheyummy.com.

https://showmetheyummy.com/chicken-burrito-bowl-recipe/


     I'm having the last of it for my lunch today. DH made the bacon wrapped pork fillets last night. He did a mini rogue shop, and bought sour cream and onion potatoes (despite last week buying two 5 pound bags of russets), chicken tenders, and things I don't even recall. He made loads of potatoes because he wanted leftovers to eat with the chicken tenders. It seems the burrito bowl inspired him to think  of the KFC bowls, where there are potatoes, chicken, vegetables, and topped with gravy. If it gets him coming home for lunch more often, great. Still, the salt worries me, so if he likes this, I think I'll make up mashed potatoes from real potatoes and  freeze in portions that he can microwave while his tenders cook. He does get the chicken tenders that have low salt. 

     I get tired of the same old things for lunches. We can easily assemble the stuff for either of these bowls on the fly, adding a little more variety without breaking the lunch bank. For me, the portability factor is great as the entire meal is contained in one dish and easily fits in my lunch bag between two freeze packs. I can heat and eat during a working lunch meeting, with no mess. I think this idea could work to upcycle ramen by using a block with 1/2 the seasoning packet (I drain the liquid after cooking), topped  with a handful or two of frozen mixed vegetables, leftover chicken, pork, beef etc cut in pieces, sprinkled with some soy, sweet and sour, sesame, or whatever  seasonings or sauces  I might have on hand. I could throw the lid on and go. I've been less successful on meal prep and storage for multiple days, but this method seems to work quite well. If you have other ideas for one bowl lunches, let me know.




15 comments:

  1. That sounds great. I pretty much eat any of our protein leftovers on a salad, thus creating a salad based bowl. I try not to eat too many carbs, although sometimes a very small amount of beans or rice make there way onto my bowl at work.

    We like carnitas as the topping to a similar bowl as you've described. We also batch prep grilled chicken, and keep that on hand for a bowl. I've tried a few egg roll in a bowl & taco slaw in a bowl recipes that would both fit the bill for you. The egg roll in particular has a very different flavor & is great for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne has posted about deconstructed egg rolls-I bet that would be delicious as a bowl. thanks for these great ideas. I did a little googling of "bowls" and there is a whole world of ideas.

      Delete
  2. I eat lots of salads with added protein like chicken, tuna, cooked beans, eggs. I add capers, peppers, tomatoes, cheese, anything I have available to the salad greens to construct the base. When there is enough protein, the salad keeps me full and I enjoy the taste. Never get tired of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should do more salads, but feel like I would have to keep the greens separate, which is the ease of these meals. Maybe salad and everything else together would work for me.

      Delete
    2. I keep the salad separate until the end. I prep a large bag of salad & then add in what I'd like to the bowl + the rest of the toppings.

      Delete
  3. I used to cook up all my leftover meat into fried rice type meals--basically pepper, carrots, onions (or whatever we had on hand) sautéed, add an egg and leftover meat and seasonings, serve over rice. That would be the repeat of say, a roast chicken, then the leftovers of that would be my lunch at work. I used to call this a "threepeat."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest was my fried rice lover. Can't beat a threepeat.

      Delete
  4. The only thing I might add to your bowl is sliced black olives (personal taste) lol. Sounds perfect. Hubby doesn't really do beans (hard on his IBS) very often but I love this idea for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I did have about 1/2 dozen black olives left from something else that I did throw in the bowl I brought to trivia. Yum-my favorites as well. Sadly, no more were left for today lunch.

      Delete
    2. The three of us could definitely eat lunch together, because black olives MAKE a taco bowl! It's my favorite part of eating lunch at work. They have olives for the salads. Sadly, they also have homemade tortilla chips, which are my kryptonite

      Delete
    3. I now if I had access to a salad bar everyday, I would eat so much better. My youngest doesn't realize right now what a gift that part of her dining hall is-and there seems to be olives there when I have eaten with her.

      Delete
  5. Your bowl looks fantastic! I actually think you could add a mix of just about any leftover bit and bobs into a tasty bowl. I might start scouring the fridge to throw together a bowl lunch just to see what I can come up with. That being said, a keto bowl would almost always have cauliflower as the main ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I didn't think of any leftovers n this manner but absolutely. I no longer am going to say I'm bringing leftovers, but trying a new bowl lunch. It' all in the mind set.

      Delete
  6. I have been eating bowl meals long before they became a thing. I thought it was silly and lazy. How was I to know they would become trendy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you were the original trend setter. Restaurants get big bucks for "bowls".

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.