Sunday, December 29, 2019

Easing Back Into Post Holiday Life

     I go back to work tomorrow after being off since 12:00  on Friday, December 20th. It's going to be a rough one getting up and out the door at 6:40 after the luxury of waking up and leisurely doing nothing, or something, without a clock. Well, we had a clock on Christmas morning because my mother-in-law wanted to be  sitting down at 12:00 sharp, but for the most part, the grown kids and DH got up on their own schedule, and we did presents when DD1 got here and had a relaxing morning.  It will be quiet in the office. Many people took this week off as well, or at least until Thursday. I figure with so many people off last week, I shouldn't be too overwhelmed with e-mails and hope to be done by the end of the day.

     On the post holiday personal front, I need to print off an Amazon return label for a book that my niece got a duplicate of. I already replaced with another choice form her list, but would like the money back in my account. Another niece, who my youngest drew in the gift exchange, mentioned she does not particularly use or like bi purses/totes, but thanked my daughter. I'll send her the receipt and she can choose to exchange if she would like. I (as I shopped on DD2's behalf  for the gift) take no offense and appreciate that she said something rather than have a gift sit in a closet. I had this soon to be new sister-in-law's name and got the same gift, a large tote and blanket, and she gushed over it and said she absolutely loved it, so a hit and a miss. I also have some lingering cards to drop off in the mail, addresses that I hadn't found, but thanks to their cards I can return the greetings of the season. This happens every year, and I say there is nothing wrong with cards arriving after Christmas as technically the season goes to January 6th. I actually don't even get a good look at all my cards until New Years Day. It is sort of my own little tradition. I mean there is the glance and the smile, but I like to relook and particularly take a moment to read any extra notes and look at pictures. 

     I suppose I need to think about buying some groceries today. All I bought this week was milk (had to run out Christmas morning to the C store), and on Monday bought buns and various crackers to go with the remnant dips, spreads, and olives left form Sunday. There will be a few things thrown today that we just could not get eaten, but overall, I managed leftovers well. I refroze a smaller container of Sloppy Joe's, and made a hotdish with other leftovers, but ended up freezing two portions of that for future grab and go lunches. The pork loin leftovers were froze as well. I'll do something with the five remaining chicken drumsticks today-probably a chicken/stuffing bake with mashed potatoes. I'll have to go back and look at my  spending, but I think overall, I was under $500. Considering I spent nearly $125 on Sundays meal and contributions to both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, plus bought items for holiday baking, December went OK. Granted DH being sick really  cut down on a lot of spending, other than his originally week with all the extra items I had to buy. Meals out were only me and the girls for lunch last Saturday and the  pub meal before DS went home. 

     To make planning and budgeting easier, I'm counting anything purchased starting today as January, making it a five week month. I'd like to stay to $400 on average per month, but January could be a higher month since DD2 is home for another week and 1/2. It will sure to  be off set with one of my challenge months in the future though. I'm hopeful that increased spending on food that is better for DH's diet, and mine as well, will be offset with more whole foods and prep ahead. Someone posted to do a Turkey roast (though will need to look at the label as some are injected with sodium like the bagged chicken breasts), then slice and store in portions for sandwiches. I need to find a low sodium option to make pasta salads, as he likes them and can be portioned for his lunches with a couple pieces of fruit. He has been eating granola bars and fruit and grain bars  in two's and threes for snacks. I'd like to make a better version. I'll share what I come up with. I have DD1 to teach me all sorts of healthy things. The trick will be to get him to  eat and enjoy them! 

     If you had time off for the holiday season, when are you heading back to work or school, or getting kids back? In general, do you get the post holiday blues or are you ready for the  New Year to just get started? 

14 comments:

  1. We fly back tomorrow, and are home for one night before we go to Tahoe for skiing. We are looking forward to it, but I know it will be super hard to go back to work, once that day comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the opposite side of vacation life in the mountains.

      Delete
  2. We are not heading back to school until Jan 6th, so I have another week to be leisurely. I enjoy the time off, but also need to work. We are still working on eating up Christmas stuff, so no need to buy groceries yet, but it will happen soon enough. I hope you have a good week, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man did I buy groceries yesterday! I think I have a good 8-10 days though, so will only supplement and most likely get by with only 1 more big shop.

      Delete
  3. We are still eating on the Christmas cheese and will for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My task tonight is to make sure any not for human consumption food is in the garbage-and take stock of my food waste-sad, sad sad.

      Delete
  4. Winter quarter starts, and public school resumes on January 6th. I really enjoyed having my kids home with me with no rushing about and angst over assignments. My college kid especially enjoyed his Christmas break, realizing that it was a true break--his courses were finished, his new ones not yet started, so no assignments looming!
    I miss the dark, quiet evenings of Christmas. There's something special about sitting by the lit tree with my family, having a cup of coffee and slice of fruitcake, or sipping a rum laced eggnog. But, I also use this time to look forward to spring and summer, particularly in terms of what I can do in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may keep up the white lights I put up around my fireplace. I like it and it is cozy and not really specific to Christmas. My daughter has lights around a window, and vloggers and college kids keep them up year round.

      Delete
  5. I go back Jan 6th also. It's going by fast. I really haven't done much. I'm kind of enjoying doing very little actually. Binge watching some TV and just hanging out with my pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed your beach Christmas photos. I am sure the pets love having you home.

      Delete
  6. I am ready for a normal routine and normal food. I cooked entirely too much and even having people over barely put a dent in it. Anything that could be frozen lives in the freezer now, there are still a lot of cookies in zip locks but they will be tossed NYE. And a couple of the cheese things will be reformatted as cheese sauces or dips for bowl game watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made too many coconut mounds bars, and not enough oreo truffles. Tonight I will see if anything else is salvageable or it is getting tossed.

      Delete
  7. We are going to use up what we have in the fridge and freezer until it is absolutely necessary to go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can have a full fridge, d=freezer, and pantry and youngest who is home will say there is nothing to eat. I'll do a full use it u once she goes back to school later next week.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.