Friday, September 25, 2020

Say WWWhat? My Friday W's

 On Fridays I've been trying to sum up the monotony interesting bits of my life with a collection of W's.  Besides the WORLD, what other w's are on my brain this Friday?

What's top of mind: The school year is going along, but there's no sugar coating that is rough. Schools that opened full time in person have dialed back to hybrid. If they are not deemed eligible for the school provided child care, parents are angry. Even if they themselves do not require it, many are angry if they perceive some family received but didn't deserve. I worry daily, field calls daily, but I also think kids have more resiliency than adults do. 

Where I've been: I spent a lot of time with my daughter last weekend, walking and  listening to outdoor music over a beverage, farmers market, and apple picking. I'm pretty lucky she wants to spend time with me. We walked downtown on Wednesday night and had a drink together. I was home just after DH got home from work.

Where I'm going: My daughter is gone this weekend, and I'm glad she is able to connect with her friends, ones that are practicing  mask wearing and distancing.. My only specific plans are to go to outdoor church on Sunday. Starting next week, and we'll be  gone, is to only do indoor church. The plan is three services of 30 minutes with 30 minutes in between. (OK-I fixed the typo but my original 30 minute sin was kind of funny.) It will be limited to 75 at each I believe and we have to sign up. They will still do the  YouTube Service. I plan to wait several weeks and see how  numbers look in the town for cases. I do see other church's near ours must be having services inside. My MIL will no doubt go at 8:30 and i very much doubt she will follow the distancing, so we'll be paying attention to her in the coming weeks. 

What I'm watching: We watched another sad Vikings game on Sunday. I noticed there are two seasons of Call the Midwife on Netflix I wasn't aware of. I started watching a few. I love that the season is well into the 60's and the women's clothes are so great.  

What I'm reading: Sadly, I've only read work reading this week at night. I am looking through books we have in the house, my daughters room is loaded, to find a stack to bring  to the cabin. I've just not had a  reading interest this week. 

What I'm listening to: I'm still streaming BBC World or MPR/NPR while not in meetings. i ay download a few podcasts to listen to over coffee. In the car, I just have a pop music station that plays mostly recent songs. 

What I'm eating: Oh my gosh! Funny-stupid story. I was still working, but had decided we would jut have chicken alfredo for supper. DH decided he would make it and asked what kind of past I wanted. I had no preference. but apparently I should have given guidance. When he let me know it was done, I walked in to see the most massive  strainer of spaghetti I had seen since all three kids were home. He made a two pound box of spaghetti-for two of us. Now, I've only been cooking 1/2 a 1 pound box for the two of us, and we still have leftovers. Now I have to figure out how to use multiple containers of cooked spaghetti. I guess we'll have tuna tetrazzini tonight. I suppose I could freeze for a future meal, but I'm guessing they would get soggy and imp reheated. My guess is we'll have a lot of waste. We've had a lot of rice dishes in the past week with burritos/bowls and chicken broccoli cheese hotdish. 

Who I'm paying attention to: As all of us are in the US, I'm watching who is being put forward for the Supreme Court. I've done my bit to state to all 100 Senators my thoughts, but I know it is meaningless. I think I was rude this week to a campaign walker for a Senator from the party I do not support. He knocked on the door, softly then harder. By the time I got the dog leased and went to open, he was walking off. He saw me and said, "Hi, I'm sharing information on XXX." All that came out of my mouth, was, "no thank you, I already know I won't be voting for her." I shut the door and he walked back and picked up the large postcard he had left on my doorstep. To my defense, I was working, was interrupted, and I have read enough of her talking points that feel straight out of 1950 that to engage at all was a waste of both of our time. I have received other information, like small postcards with her favorite recipes. What is that anyway? 

What I'm planning:  For the weekend, I'm planning on tackling a couple spaces to purge-the extra bedroom and the vanity cupboard in the upstairs bathroom. I've decided to get rid of anything we have that is multiple by setting cleaning supply duplicates in a bucket to use up until gone. Same with ay lotions, or other health and beauty items. In a make due for now, we are going to give the bathroom a fresh coat of paint and I'll also refresh the gray table I painted about four years ago. The paint has gotten chippy. Here it is from the last refresh make due. 




     My weather app just sent me the daily alert. It says one more day of summer with a high of 82!  The weekend doesn't look to shabby either with  temps in the 70's before we ease back to fall next week. I'll take it. I'll use Penny a bit this weekend and  maybe get pup out of the neighborhood for his walk. It's a good thing I have him. 

21 comments:

  1. I just finished reading "Cell 8", a Swedish mystery. It was really good, & came in my grab bag from the library's sale I attended. I loved having a paper book to read again. What a treat!

    I'm making dinner for a friend this weekend, getting some house projects done (cleaning ash from the fire off of our solar panels) & painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make a list of books that I can either download for free, or pick up from library. My goals i to read at least two books on vacation. Cleaning is on my list as well.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for telling that person up front that you weren't interested in that particular candidate. I hate people knocking on my door, although we don't get political candidates - just Jehovah's Witnesses. I also tell them up front that I'm not interested in their religion and to be fair they leave right away. That wasn't always the case sadly, you used to have a helluva time trying to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago when I was in the US at my BFF's house, somebody knocked on the door and my friend told me there were two Jehovah's Witnesses. She asked me to answer the door and tell them the owners were out. I did as told but, had a hard time to not tell them that I was Muslim and was trying to convert my friends. Lol! I would've liked to see their faces.

      Delete
    2. I cringe when I see female candidates touting recipes. Come on! I guess you are right that they feel they ill connect more. Show me your views on things that help women, children,a nd families-all women, children,a nd families and maybe then we can talk.

      Delete
  3. I was blessed with a surprise of a maple tree in our front yard that usually turns to a kind of a golden yellow color in the Fall, to find that it has a lot of leaves turning red. I googled it and apparently, a tree that has been turning yellow, can turn red sometimes. It was on our list of tree removal along with a large silver maple for next spring, but now I'm not so sure. Our neighbors don't like it though, so there is that to consider. The silver maple will take away a lot of shade but it will also eliminate a ton of leaves for Fall cleanup.As a whole, it is a very messy tree, I think partially to do with how old it is. Silver maples can become a dangerous problem when they get so big. For now they will stay and I will bask in the wonder of nature. Hope you have a great weekend. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees ar e amess, but they sure have helped my daughter keep her house cool all summer-her yard is a real mess of leave snow though I saw her landlord doing some clean-up last weekend. DH just mulches them down really fine.

      Delete
  4. I laughed so hard and so loud at the spaghetti he cooked. I suppose the politician is trying to connect through the womanly arts, because cooking is what you vote for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two meals to prep todya to use the spaghetti up. I still am amazed a this thought process.

      Delete
  5. I had to laugh at your tiny typo "three services of 30 minutes with 30 minute sin between" Doesn't everyone sin between services? ;)
    Your hubby cooking two pounds of spaghetti was a good one too, typical husband move there lol. Have a great weekend Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! I fixed, but kept the reference as the sin was a slip but a funny one.

      Delete
  6. Several years ago my dad did something similar and had overcooked the pasta too. He did not want mom to come home and see it so, he and I had to eat the whole thing. I could not move with my stuffed belly for the whole afternoon. Lol! I told him to dump it but he said mom would see the garbage can and find out. I miss my dad so much. He was the best, except for his cooking skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, and a good memory of your dad.

      Delete
  7. Hey if you get a high hour sin I want one also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like my whole life, whie not sin, is questionable judgment!

      Delete
  8. Wow, on what is going on with school. Parents need to stop being angry and see what they can do to help. Apple picking sounds like some good frugal fall fun. I missed out on the honeycrisp apples at our local orchard, but I can still get them at our grocery stores here. You could make a pasta salad with some of the spaghetti and it will freeze also. You could also chop it up and add it to soup and stuff like that. A two pound box is a lot of spaghetti. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple picking will be full on for ht enext few weekends so I' glad we did early. We'll buy in the stores once these are gone. I'm not a fan of spaghetti or any thin noodle sin soup, but I have a couple ideas to use them up-and will use freezer.

      Delete
  9. Baked spaghetti will take care of the leftovers. I mix it with sauce, mushrooms and Aldi vegan meatballs and cover with Daiya cheese. I’ve frozen it many times and it’s fine reheated.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reassuring me it will freeze without harm. I don't wan tot waste, but don't want to eat for days on end.

      Delete
  10. I have frozen leftover spaghetti and then added more sauce and cheese and baked it as a baked pasta dish and it works just fine. :) We are in the midst of our school district trying to decide to stay hybrid the next 9 weeks or go back to full time in school. It is a hard decision and I have seen so much anger over it. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the anger that I just do not understand. I suppose frustration is manifested as anger, and anxiety over individual situations is reflected in anger as well. I'm trying to show as much grace as I can.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.