Friday, November 13, 2020

Friday Whazzits and Whodatts

     I'm running out of witty, if I ever had them to begin with, titles for my Friday W posts. I do like them though. They are interesting to me to  think about how I would answer and I love that so many of you add your own responses to the W's. That's the point of blogging isn't it, to build connections? I really love when people reply to each other's comments-hint, hint, nudge, nudge. So wihtout further ado, my Friday W's are as such.

What's top of mind: Minnesota has dialed back to more restrictions, not that they change my plans, to combat the spread of the virus. Bars and restaurants must be closed by 10:00 and no counter /bar seating. Capacity is being reduced again, and for gatherings, starting to  scale back first to no more than 50 then to 25. For private homes, inside and out  the guidelines are not more than 10 and not from more than three households.  It confirms our plans are being smart-our three households will be ours, MIL's and daughters for Thanks giving. DD2 is getting the recommended test today, and then again next week, to verify that she is not asymptomatic. We're doing our bit. The positive thing on my mind though was the promising news of a successful vaccine. We are many weeks and potentially months to fruition, but I'll take any hope when it comes. 

Where I've been: Since last Friday when I dropped off the Covid test, I've been no where but for walks in the neighborhood. I was being very careful to avoid other people. I'll keep quarantined this weekend because I did have so many of the symptoms, and the public health experts say you really can't test out of quarantine. I'll  quarantine through Monday. 

Where I'm going: After our touch of snow/ice/sleet, we got another warm-up into the 40's and then another dousing of a couple inches yesterday. I love to walk when it is cool as long as I am dressed for the weather. Since I am still staying away from my bubble, I'm hoping to take a longer than normal walk, perhaps across the highway to where there is a wooded area That would be pushing it with pup and my knee, but perhaps. A week from today I'll drive to get my daughter. While she might still change her mind, her last thought was she plans to stay home after Thanksgiving for the three weeks of on-line, which essentially puts her home for six full weeks plus a few days, the full week of Thanksgiving break, three weeks of on-line/remote plus finals, and what would have been her nearly three week break before spring semester. 

Our back yard in morning-you can just make out the squirrels nest. 


What I'm watching: I've done a little bingeing on Thanksgiving side dish recipe videos. I was liking the dishes on this video, until she did the cardinal sin for me of putting marshmallows on her sweet potatoes! This kind of sweet potato dish is the reason I never thought I liked sweet potatoes.) I like that these recipes are  WW friendly, as I am thinking of taking the plunge and joining. I love that young people are getting back into cooking. That is a goal for my youngest daughter over her break and remote school. 



What I'm reading: For my book club, I'm reading The Hideaway by Lauren K Denton and so far I am drawn in. Perhaps I'll have it finished by the end of the weekend. 

What I'm listening to:  I'm just exploring a few more podcasts recommend to me, but not yet sure I'm liking them I'd love your opinion on this one, Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert. Her name might be familiar as she wrote Eat,Pray,Love which I have not read nor have I seen the movie. I know there is at least one radio station that is playing Christmas music, but I hold off until the day after Thanksgiving-usually. Depending on how my drive goes next Friday, it might be on earlier. Once you get out of the Twin Cities radio station range, the stations are pretty much country music-most of which makes me cringe but could change over for the season. 

What I'm eating: I have been into baked and comfort  foods this week, so a couple pizza's on Wednesday, a crock pot pasta, pork roast and air fryer roasted potatoes (the bomb), and some pumpkin bread. Do you see why I need to perhaps explore some WW versions of these items. British readers may want to skip the next few sentences because I'm sure my potatoes are not what you would call them, but I made big chunks of potato, steamed them to soft, coated in  olive oil via my mister pump and then shook  season salt  before doing 10 minutes in the air fryer at 400, shook to redistribute, and 10 minutes more. So good, Crispy on the outside and fluffy inside. 

Who I'm paying attention to:  Someone tested positive at DH's work though he doesn't think she was even in the days she may have been exposed, Still, I am keeping an eye on him. This was this woman's third time quarantining because she had been in contact with someone who had Covid, and this time, she as well tested positive. I don't get it. For someone who can't earn if they do not work, I guess I would take my social life a lot more serious in terms of protecting myself from exposure. She is young-mid twenties I guess, so part of the growing demographic of asymptomatic spreaders. So lovely for DH as he has to pick up the slack for her multiple two week absences while she also put him at risk.

What I'm planning:  Well, we are now a week out from the start of Thanks giving week as I consider it beginning the Saturday before. I have a birthday coming up as well as what would have been my mom's birthday-she would have been 94, and the 10th anniversary of her death, the day after her 83rd birthday. I just got through the hard week of my sisters November birthday on election day, and the 7th anniversary of her death, the day before her 56th birthday. Let's just say November is not really a happy month for me, but I am trying to look for the special things. Birthday's do not bother me, not when too many people I love and care about have left us too soon. Looking for special is why I also am looking forward to Thanksgiving, even if it is different. Planning? I'm just planning to look for things that make my family and I happy this month, enjoy walks, movies, and books and be grateful I have and have had people in my life to love and remember. 

      That's what  I'm experiencing and thinking about this Friday. What's the W's of your life this week? 

29 comments:

  1. I was reading this morning about two countries that have had Covid cases go down and one of them was France. I don't know how true that is, but I know when I have read blogs by French bloggers they talk about being in lock down. So, that could be a reason for the cases being down. We too were happy to hear the news about the vaccine. I'm reading as early as April. Keeping my fingers crossed for that.

    We don't do marshmallows on sweet potatoes here either. LOL

    I hadn't thought to watch Thanksgiving side dish videos on YouTube. I need to add that to my list of things to watch. Right now I am watching dog grooming videos and then switched to hair cutting videos. One of them was a barber who cut this homeless man's hair for him. The whole time I was thinking that he must have felt really good getting that hair cut off. He seemed like a new man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Anna at Random thoughts just commented that their case counts are going down, after two wees in lock down. I use the anecdotal evidence of my daughters college and when they went two weeks with tighter restrictions and got counts down from 78 current case on campus to under 10. They've loosened a bit, and not cases seem to sit about 9-13, but it sounds like short of the kids that party, it really is working. Dh is going to tackle pup tomorrow-it wont be pretty, but it will get the clumps out and fur out of his eyes.

      Delete
  2. What's on my mind:Enhanced measures were announced yesterday in certain areas of Alberta. There were only 3 engagements on the calendar in the next 2 wks - brunch with a cousin, caregivers' support group and cards with 3 friends. CANCEL.
    Where I've been/going: In the past 10 days, I've had a massage and a haircut. I purchased groceries as well, the first time in 3 weeks. Going for groceries will probably be the only outing in the next 2 wks. Getting outside in the -10C weather is what keeps me sane.
    Watching: I look forward to The Voice each week. The last movie I watched on tv was The Butler.
    Reading: How Not to Die Alone by Richard Roper. Can't say enough about Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.
    Listening to: Chris Stapleton has just released a new album, Starting Over (not your taste?!)
    Eating: I just organized the freezer. I don't need to buy protein for months. It's well stocked with fish, chicken. There's fruit & veg that were harvested this summer. There's a chicken thawing, waiting to be roasted. There's a pot of carrot/pumpkin/rice soup in the fridge.
    Planning: has been replaced with cautious anticipation. I'm thinking of Christmas, wondering how that will play out.The sugar cookies will be baked ready for the grandkids to decorate whenever we can get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always up to a good suggestion or two so will try and find Chris Stapleton. I'm not familiar. DH likes the voice. All your recent foods sound tempting!

      Delete
  3. I wish PA would implement more restrictions. Someone on another shift at Hubby’s work tested positive and they have shut down for the week. Multiple students and staff in our district are positive and several of my daughter’s teachers are teaching from home, awaiting COVID test results. We had a huge shakeup at work-our store manger is quitting and next Friday is her last day. This ensures I will be working full time hours for at least the rest of the year. Whether or not they promote me along with the hours remains to be seen. I have everything bought for thanksgiving even though it is likely to just be the four of us. My dad has been extra vigilant about getting stocked up and staying home and I would hate to undo all his work. I just make sure to call him more often so he’s not so lonely. My mom group has decided to skip our Christmas party as well. I think I’m going to make a donation on behalf of all of us to our school’s Make a Wish telethon with the money I would have spent on presents and lunch. I did take advantage of kohl’s coupons this week to get a jump start on Christmas shopping. I shopped online and did curbside to avoid the crowds. Also I baked! My friend sent me a recipe for pumpkin gobs, or whoopie pies maybe to you and they were amazing. 10/10 would make again. Thats more than enough exciifor me! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is promotion a good thing-wanted thing? When our supervisor was promoted, a collegue was made interim director. Sh eis not so sure she even wants to apply once it is posted for permanent. I don't think I want it either-more pressure and stress, not much more pay, and my whole point of leaving my job 5 1/2 years ago was to decrease work stress. Now of course Covid adds a whole different dimension. Bless your dad-it has to be hard. We will mask up tomorrow as we need to help MIL with a couple things, but stay spread apart, and make sure anything we touch is wiped after, and we thoroughly wash and sanitize after-jus tin case. She interacts with my BIL's family and they just do not take precautions of social circles and distancing as we do. Lovely way to spend your moms groups Christmas-service never is a bad idea, right. Take care Joann!

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I’m not sure. It depends on if the two managers ahead of me get promoted first. If they bring in someone from the outside I do think that they would quit. There is a lot of uncertainty even if we would all be “acting” managers through the holidays and then have a shakeup again come January. I would like the hours and the raise and the new set of tasks I would be given. If nothing else it would look good on a resume if things don’t work out. It’s retail. Change is the only thing that stays the same.

      Delete
    3. I've not worked retail since college and it was a grocery store, so no experience really to understand. DH's is sort of retail, but not quite the same in the auto industry. I take it you work a lot of holidays. I do understand the resume, and if your kids are getting older and you are able or want to focus on your career, it would help you where you might want to go. good luck.

      Delete
  4. Top of mind for me is similarly the restrictions & how we're doing on cases in our area. I've been on a socially distanced walk with friends, & to the store, and that's it. Last Saturday we did an outdoor dining option as well.

    Stay safe & warm! One idea for someone interested in learning cooking could be a meal delivery service? Nick has been trying it & loves it. Definitely not what I'd recommend in the long term as frugal or environmentally friendly (too many small containers), but love, love, love that he so enjoys it. He finds it easy because everything is portioned for him, and in the same bag. Just an idea for the learning phase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of the home delivery options-maybe a trial, but most seem like you need more of a commitment than I would wan tot make so if you have a good suggestion, I'll take you up on it. Next year she will likely be doing all her own meal prep, either in a dorm with the kitchenette, or an on campus apartment. Fingers crossed spring semester she will be able to go to Spain, but that's only a year out now, so looking doubtful.

      Delete
  5. You know I love sweet potatoes, but marshmallows on sweet potatoes are gross. I am going out in the yard in an hour and my gardening mentor is bring me kale and other plants. I will enjoy those all winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With SP being so sweet already, I am surprised folks would add more sugar.

      Delete
  6. Our big "w" is "where?" We are toying with the idea of moving back to the east coast, specifically, Maine this time. We are looking at listings, but that's about it for now. I think, though we want to be somewhat nearer to family, we have taken for granted just how mild our climate here is, so we are waiting until March to really consider this seriously, unless the perfect place comes up. (Yes, I've moved places sight unseen before!) I also forget about the bugs--there's not really a mosquito problem here in the summer. Our climate is very similar to the U.K.'s.
    Can you believe how quickly the holidays are coming? As for Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, I refused to sully them with marshmallows, despite D.H.'s pleading. I compromise by getting canned candied yams, and topping them with pecans, butter and nutmeg. Other than Thanksgiving, we either have baked sweet potatoes with butter and sour cream, or roasted sweet potato wedges.
    Happy Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That would be a big move if you decide. Maine is completely lovely though, so I can see the call. A sweet potato roasted, or baked with a little salt and pepper is so warm and delicious-no extra sugar needed.

      Delete
  7. I sure wish Florida would do something but we have a governor who is a Trump mini me. We have very high cases and no restrictions. It has me afraid to leave the house. I worry so much about my boys since they go with the thought that if it were that bad there would be restrictions - believe that in Florida and you might as well believe "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!"

    Great W post as always Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it depends on the government. I truly feel in Minnesota this administration is thinking people and communities first. I'm sorry for what you are facing there, and I wonder if you will get all the snow birds this year?

      Delete
  8. I laughed and laughed at you first line, running out of witty! I am going to use this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I never had witty. I know I am getting loopy interacting with nothing but a computer screen all day every week day. I just need to remember I ma doing good work, being paid, and able to stay safe.

      Delete
  9. I do hate marshmallows in general, and since I've only had sweet potatoes topped with them, I hate sweet potatoes! It's time I try some cooked differently. I've noticed you often make wedges. I assume baked? I don't have an air fryer. I had a covid test just yesterday, results back already and negative. Sigh of relief. I'm around lots of college students who are not always careful, tho I will say most are taking this seriously and wearing masks. It's the middle aged folks who seem most resistant to precautions here in Wisconsin. Stay safe and well, Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before we had the air fryer, we baked them in the oven. I have finally learned a nice trick. After preparing them in wedges, or chucks, or fries same for regular potatoes, steam in the microwave first so they only need the oven or air fryer to get the crispiness. I bought a mister a few years ago that you put whatever oil you like, and pump it, then it sends mist, like a Pam spray can, of oil. It really helps control the amount of added oil. I love it! I think Pampered Chef sells one, but I got at Target on clearance for about $5. I wish I would have bought extras for gifts as I love mine. I think college kids are doing great. It is young adults not in college who still want to hang out in bars and house parties, and quite frankly, families with school age kids that just do not want to forgo for the year the activities in their families.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm going to give sweet potatoes a try soon. I appreciate the cooking tips. Celie

      Delete
  10. whats top of mind - planning for Christmas, we will now be able to get together with family which is exciting, as our Covid numbers are way down, often zero, planning for Christmas decorations after November birthdays are over.
    and I would never think of putting marshmallows on sweet potatos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful still. Case loads seem to go in waves-people let their guard down and up they go. Even if case loads go down, we will have a small immediate family Christmas just the same. I won't undo all our efforts.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the video link! I love to watch cooking things and had never heard of her before.
    I hope your daughter finds some time to learn a bit more about cooking while she is home. This lady is about as southern as southern can be, but started recording videos when the pandemic started to show some of the people she knew how to cook. It is like watching a southern grandmother https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO4QYv_9Tdw7Nj8sF6AJ6YA/videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is by no means a cook, but she has some appeal to me as a young adult and I can relate to her positive messages as a larger young women, trying to get healthier.

      Delete
  12. By all accounts our covid cases are going down again in France. We've done 2 weeks out of a 4 week lockdown again and if that's what it takes to kill this thing then so be it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are all doing great there-hopefully once restrictions lift the effort will continue voluntarily for where the spreads are occurring. Take care my friend!

      Delete
  13. My daughter sent me a meme this morning that says "you are not stuck at home, you are safe at home" which is so true. In WI our numbers are nearly unbelievable. I don't see them going down anytime soon. It is now 2 weeks since Halloween (spike) will soon be 2 weeks since Election ( another spike) and Election celebrations (another spike) and then Thanksgiving. It amazes me the people ~ grown, educated people, who still go on as if there is nothing different going on in our world. Like you, we are doing Thanksgiving very very small. And NO marshmallows on the sweet potatoes!! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is sad is the grown full on adults, with older parents, family members with medical issues, or other co-morbidity risks, that really just do not care. It's not rea, or 98% will survive so why change any behavior? Then, when someone they love gets it and is seriously ill, my guess is they will be the first to attack not getting the perfect treatment, or being able to visit their loved one. I am sure my SIL and BIL ar3 mad at me as she sent a group message that we can save Christmas if we all just get tested. Well, it doesn't quite work that way unless they will all test negative, and seal themselves in a bubble. No, they'll still have friends over for dinner, their kids will do their activities, and nothing will be different. I replied to all, that negative tests now will mean nothing at Christmas and flat out, that they can do what they want but my family will not be joining. I'm already the witch on DH's side because I call bull when warranted, and for my families health, I'll be the biggest mama bear witch in the west.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.