Sunday, December 13, 2020

Birthday Boy and Meal Planning-Blogmas Day 13


      It is my son's  32nd birthday. December that year was a blur having been on bed rest for three weeks prior, him born teeny on a bitter day in a even colder week, to be followed by extended family Christmas's, five of them, with a new born. I remember his second Christmas better. I hope we get to speak with him, but minimally will have some texts back and forth. No gift to ship as we gave him a very early  birthday gift this summer with the Instapot, which he really has been enjoying. His budget is tight, but he's making due. I will be sending a Grubhub gift code for a birthday meal since I can't cook or take him out as we normally do when he is here for Christmas.  One cute and favorite memory for me of DS's childhood was his third Christmas, 1990, having just turned two he was quite fascinated with  the ornaments on the trees of course. Before we went to my mom's on Christmas Eve, the tradition back in the day, we had a conversation with him about leaving the tree alone and just looking-no touching.  Well, he was found leaning into the tree sucking on a candy cane (maybe help from a cousin?), turned and looked at me and said, "I no touch, momma." Precious!

The rest of us have to eat as well. Here was what we had the past week.

  • Sunday:Ended up getting Take out fish sandwiches and a burger for me
  • Monday:Chicken Tortellini or chicken noodle soup-no bread sticks, and just had crackers
  • Tuesday: Mushroom ravioli with green salad and grilled halloumi
  • Wednesday: Fried rice, and or  Chicken kiev over rice
  • Thursday: Store brand frozen lasagna as DH was reall  y in th emood, was going to make, but he ended up a tthe cabin so just bought a frozen on his mini-rogue shop, with garlic cheese bread.
  • Friday: Air fryer  potato wedges, mac and cheese and green salad
  • Saturday: Leftover frozen lasagna, salad (plus we had car snacks)
     Planning was out the window with adding another take out, but we didn't get Take and Bake, and DH's  yearning for lasagna fed us twice. Meals for this week are up in air because DD2 is getting her wisdom teeth out on Friday and I thought I would let he pick her favorites leading up to then. Plus, this is her finals week-she has one final and a final project to deliver. I  Here's some things I know she likes that might be on the menu. She loves rice-so yes, a lot of rice listed. 
  • Wild Rice Soup
  • Curry, rice, naan and palak paneer
  • Tuna noodle hotdish
  • Chow Mein with rice
  • Sloppy Joe's (plus my brother who has just started radiation treatment was requesting my Sloppy Joe's so I'm going to make a big batch) and tator tots
  • Penne pasta with vegetables and sauce
  • Garlic and parmesan risotto with salad
  • Turkey meatloaf and  au gratin potatoes
  • Meatballs and mushroom gravy over rice or mashed potato
  • Goulash
     While some of her favorites, we both like these all as well. I've never had my wisdom teeth out, so can only go by memory of the older two. A lot of smoothies will be whipped up for her along with mashed potatoes, apple sauce,  and creamy soups. After this week, I'm on vacation and will have several days off before Christmas to think about festive foods. What are some of your favorite comfort foods?

25 comments:

  1. I'm on vacation starting on Friday, & can't wait. Hope the surgery is quick & easy for your daughter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a good week-and then can truly enjoy your vacation. I am as well, but have to fit a webinar in. Thank you on behalf of my daughter.

      Delete
  2. Aahhh that photo is just so precious - and the comment. Ha! Out of the mouths of babes huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was th e sweetest little boy-then he found is wheels by 4 and we wer eon the run.

      Delete
  3. I had a wisdom tooth out later in life, with just a local I went out for a prime rib dinner that night, because the local was still working. The next 3 days, though, my jaw was sore and stiff, and I couldn't even manage applesauce. Youngest had one out earlier in the year, and I don't recall him having any trouble whatsoever, to the point I had forgotten he had it done, so hopefully, that will be your daughter's experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you ripped a stitch,if you had the? My older two did really well, but this child when she is sick, she is sick!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday to your son! Such a sweet story. I miss when my kids were little. Meals sound great for this week Sam. Best of luck to your daughter with the wisdom teeth, no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them when they were young, but I also enjoy this time with them. I'm ready for the next stage whatever that might be.

      Delete
  5. Leftover lasagna - this is hardly ever a thing as it is eaten all in the first round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a humongous pan for just the three of us-but we did finish it with two meals.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your son- it's my nephew's 25th today also. As for wisdom teeth, I think it depends on whether they have to cut them out. My older two kids both had easy removal with just Novocaine in the dentist's office. Youngest still had hers but only 2 in her mouth. Mine slowly decayed through the years and I just have 1 in my mouth. This is turning out to be a lazy day for me- I seem to have lost my mojo. Oh well, hopefully it will be back tomorrow. My favorite comfort food- mashed potatoes with good gravy and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is being out under, but that was because she has a low mouth pain tolerance. I hope hers goes as well as her siblings.

      Delete
  7. I laughed loud and long and read son's comment to Tommy. He smiled, so it must be funny, really funny. I like oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad his story made you laugh and Tommy smile.

      Delete
  8. I remember having three of my wisdom teeth removed at one time. I was in my early 20's. She'll appreciate all the soft foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has four and I feel bad for her, but this is better than her missing school and with the momentum to stay home, shell not miss out on friend things.

      Delete
  9. Good luck to daughter, I remember having my wisdom teeth out not fun. I loved the story about your son and the candy cane. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had mine so not sure how the process is really, so I will just take care of her the best I can.

      Delete
  10. Stay ahead of the pain. Take the pain meds. Ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take good care of her. Ice is a good idea. I remember no straws.

      Delete
  11. Mashed potatoes with gravy are perfect for post-wisdom teeth removal! And no straws!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-that's a good food option. I remembered the no straws, but not the why.

      Delete
    2. Sucking on a straw could dislodge the blood clot that starts the healing process.

      Delete
  12. Hope the extraction goes okay. I had a couple of mine out when I was 21 and went out on the town later with nothing more than an achy jaw. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope your son had a nice birthday! What a sweet memory.
    Hope your daughter gets along ok with the wisdom teeth.
    Your meals sound good to me. I'm craving comfort foods

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.