Saturday, December 5, 2020

Poinsettias, Sleds, Safety, and Sing Alongs Blogmas Day 5

 

Picture taken pre Christmas Tree.


     It  was quite a week after  my part of the world slowed down a bit for four days last weekend, but fired up all engines on Monday. I see though more and more festive touches as  more lights are out when our walk is delayed and I have to go after 5:00. The other night I got more lights and not the kind anyone wants when four fire trucks were outside a house across the park and on the other side of the street. I did not see any damage the next day nor could I smell smoke. Even the neighborhood  town criers on our local neighborhood Next Door site didn't clue me in on what happened, but I was very relieved to see the issue seemed to have been resolved. In our town, the fire department puts out a lighted wreath with all with all white bulbs. They replace a white bulb with a red one whenever there is a fire-the goal is to keep the wreath white. Here's a little reminder from our fire chief (who used to be DS and DD1's Karate instructor-got to love small towns).

".... fire department has again placed a large wreath on the fire station with all white lights; the wreath will stay in place from Thanksgiving to Jan. 1. For every preventable structure fire, within the response area of the Fire Department, a white bulb will be replaced by a red bulb; our goal is to have all white lights remaining on the wreath at the end of the holiday season.

During the holiday season it is important to remember some simple safety precautions we can take to keep our families and homes safe. Cooking continues to be one of the top causes for fires in the home; please remember to never leave cooking unattended and never store combustibles on or in your stove. Holiday lights, and the many extension cords and multi-plugs which go along with them, should be inspected for frayed and damaged wires; exposed wires can cause fires and injury to anyone handling or coming in contact with them. Candles should be placed in an appropriate container to keep them secure. Place candles away from things which can catch fire; never leave candles unattended. Christmas trees should be cut before securing in a stand and keep them freshly watered to avoid drying out. Place Christmas trees at least three feet away from any heat source including candles, fireplaces, heaters, and always unplug lights prior to leaving the home and before sleeping.

These are just a few safety reminders to help our community keep the wreath white this year and make this holiday season safe for you and your families."

 

     The picture on the top of the page is the poinsettia that my mother-in-law brought on Thanksgiving. It is a cheery little plant, but must stay away, leaves and all, from pup. He is very fascinated with leaves-has to shuffle through them on walks, and will sniff, lick, and even sometimes sampel a bite. Poinsettias though are highly toxic, so if it dries, I need to make sure none of the leaves fall. I have no clue why the enjoys leaves so much, but he goes out of his way to walk through clusters of them. With no snow right now, the October version having long melted, he's getting extra crunches.

     Earlier in the week when I launched blogmas, one of my favorite readers, JoAnn, shared that a son of her friend refurbished a classic sled for her. She wished she could share a picture in comments, but sent them to me via email so I could share on her behalf. Isn't it gorgeous! I am picturing her children wearing snow pants and ear muffs, and finding the steepest hill they can find and whizzing down it old school style. Thanks so much for sharing JoAnn!



     Finally, I want to share our Thursday work lunch buddy meet up. Despite not being able to get together in person, we wanted to offer a little fellowship time, voluntary participation, each week leading up to to the new year. One of my colleagues is a music therapist, but also a earning musician on the side. for our first festive cheer event, he led us in a sing along via Microsoft Teams. Yes, there was a time delay, and yes it was chaotic, and at times vocals were down right atrocious, but it was also really fun as several folks with school age or young kids had their kids join along. Our new mom with a 6 month old baby had her just giggling dancing around with her. You have to take cheer where you can get it and this was a highlight of the week. Folks were feeling particularly down as it would have been the day we hold our annual lottery/breakfast gathering, all proceeds going to Second Harvest Heartland, an organization that does tremendous things in the twin cities to battle food insecurity. All the items for the lottery and food for the breakfast (suggested $3 donation) are all provided by our staff. Literally thousands were raised and donated from this one event.

     I hope you had a festive start to the first week of December. We've got the usual household stuff to do, and will finish what I intend for decorations. We'll take in holiday lights tonight as well as hopefully play a board game and have some cocktails. Happy Blogmas Saturday!

19 comments:

  1. The team call sounds like fun. Great way to put some joy into this very different holiday season. I truly enjoy the slowing down that this pandemic has brought but the things that have had to stop are hard to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think that when we all can resume life with some normalcy, we all take the time to decide what was really missed and what was just chaos with no value and put our time into the things that bring joy.

      Delete
  2. Happy Saturday!
    What a fun team meeting and what a great cause.
    Love the sled picture. Great job JoAnn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second
      harvest is great, and I need to remember to send a donation their way beyond my local food shelf. I never directly donated but fully partook in the work fundraiser by buying lots of lottery tickets and coffee! We also put together a group basket for the raffle.

      Delete
  3. Love your sled! And, a board game & cocktails sounds fabulous. My goal is to make our holiday cardamom bread, wrap a few gifts, and be a little productive. Fingers crossed. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad JoAnn shared the pictures-it says winter, holiday, and childhood!

      Delete
  4. That's inspired from your fire service to make people think about safety. And I love your sing-a-long. If there was a time delay I bet it sounded very "original"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Keep the Lights White campaign is a good reminder. Sadly, I saw a whole lot of red bulbs when we drove past yesterday. The singalong was funny-we were lucky N could sing so well!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed your virtual work gathering, it sounds fun and festive. I love the refurbished sled from your friend Jo-Ann and I sure hope the wreath at the fire department stays all white. This can be a dangerous time of year for house fires. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that great that JoAnn shared the pictures! I love blogging for this reason-community. Sadly,t he wreath is already dotted with red bulbs, but I hope were minor issues.

      Delete
  6. Great post dear.Hope you have great december so far <3
    xoxo
    beautyqueen000.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been lovely-You have a good December as well!

      Delete
  7. I just heard a podcast on the history of the poinsettia.
    Someone is always worried I will burn down the house with my craze to light Christmas candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My DH and Someone should get together with their concerns. He hates candles for both that reason and the smells. I try not to burn the fragrant ones when he is home.

      Delete
  8. Love that you had a singalong with your colleagues. My week was festive, with all the decorations put up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so fortunate to have an immediate and next tier group of coworkers who are fun and lively people-good souls the whole lot! It's beginning to look festive here as well.

      Delete
  9. Just waking up to see the sled pics today, thank you so much for including them and your kind words! I am still so thrilled with how it turned out! I low key love the singalong idea. It’s probably something I would have dreaded but then really got into once it started. Yesterday, my hubby bought metal wreath forms from the dollar tree and cut some pine branches so we could try our hand at homemade wreaths. Let me tell ya, it was harder than I thought it would be. I’m going to rummage around and see what’s here to decorate it with and put it on the front door today. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much again for sharing. As you can see from the comments, your sled is well loved. I'm not much of a sing along person, but I was toe tapping and loved seeing the little faces of my colleagues young kids smiling away. Hey if you want to share your end product of the wreath I'm more than happy to post another picture. My lazy way to Blogmas-using others good cheer.

      Delete
  10. Nice job to JoAnn on the sled. I bought 2 very similar on Craigslist a couple of years ago, but just left as is and decorate them for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.