Friday, December 4, 2020

The W's of Christmas-Blogmas Day 4

A little book that is an ornament as well.

     This fall I started a Friday posts  answering the who, what, why, when, and where's of life. For this month, I thought I'd hone in a bit more a just a couple per week. Since this my book club Friday, I thought I'd start with ,,,

What I'm reading

     Well, tonight we will be discussing  The Hideaway by Laura Denton. I won't give the book away, but I'll start by saying it started out interesting and went to pretty vanilla ending. I'm just going to say, when the book plot or storyline center has an impetus around dumb misunderstandings and then dumb non-action, I'm never impressed. I guess that is how life can be, but it all seemed to be so resolvable decades earlier and that annoys me. I remember a Mary Higgins Clark novel that took place at Christmas. I'd like a good Christmas time mystery-recommendations or a jog ro my memory would be appreciated.


     What I want to turn my reading attention to  is the collection of Christmas books I take out every year as part of our  Christmas decorations. Really since the kids have gown, they are more decorations but have been used and read by nieces and nephews and great nieces and nephews over the years as well. I keep them in a coz  Longaberger basket and just set in a corner. When the kids were little, they would pick one or two and we would read together, not minding that we had to duplicate  over the month.


     This one has a special place in  my heart. My sister gave it to my son for his first birthday in December 1989. It long wore through all the smell on the scratch and sniff. Several decades later, and my daughter first found a new copy, and then I found a couple more and tucked them away for my own kids households. I hope I recall where I tucked them away! 

     Another one that goes all the way back to the start of our family is A Story a Day until Christmas, a good one to pull out to read to kids when they are tucked into their beds, but I'll admit, I still enjoy a read through myself. One of my favorites is the story Christmas Every Day, where a child wakes up to it being Christmas every day. After the initial excitement wears off, the stress and expenses kicks in, and Christmas loses it's magic. I can't help in my 55 year Covid life brain, think about the irony of all of us that wished  life could just slow down, that we didn't have packed calendars, that I could telework and not deal with traffic and  so on. Yes, really, be careful what you wish or long for!


     The others have good memories-I love the Mickey's Christmas Carol book, and the Little Golden Books that are much older story wie, but are sweet. Do you have a few favorites from your own or your children's childhood?

Where I'm going

     We are still under a Stay at Home  Executive Order with socializing outside of your own household on the do not participate in list. This currently is set until December 18th. I've seen a little activity in my neighborhood/community Next Door app about where some good Christmas lights are. With it getting dark so early, I think Saturday or Sunday would be a good night for an evening drive to take in the splendor.


      I took this one last night of a house that put a few lights on their back fence across the pond. Not so much splendor! Rumor has it a house in town did the whole Clark Griswold Christmas Vacation light up. I have ventured out far enough from my house yet to see, but we will.


 (Yes, you will read a lot of Christmas Vacation references-it sort of is my families Christmas classic. DH and DS laugh when scenes are just mentioned. I find it ironic that the idiot Cousin Eddie is portrayed by Randy Quaid who has come out as a major Trump sycophant. Art  resembles life I guess.)

     I do have to figure out the Christmas card situation-either pull together  what photos we might have or just buy ready made. Either way I need to get cards and stamps picked up, so that will be one out of the house outings. I need to be strategic as I need a few baking and candy making items and don't want to be in and out of several stores. Regardless, my outings and where I'm going will be minimal-yet again! The good thing is DD2 has been home now for two full weeks pretty much in quarantine between our house and her sisters for better WiFi and we have all stayed healthy. I wish she could at least see a small bubble of friends, but with it not being sub zero, she can at least meet up for distanced walks and the Griswold house is not too far from her best friends. I'm doing my best to keep the Christmas spirit alive and well in my house, heart, and mind.  Please share anything you are reading, memories you want to share about favorite Christmas or winter stories, and places you might be going this weekend. 

26 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas books and am so looking forward to buying all that stuff when my first grandbaby arrives! As for me, I'm back to reading several books at once. I'm still reading the Michelle Obama book but sometimes I like something a little "lighter" before I go to sleep so I've also started reading "Round Ireland With a Fridge" by Tony Hawks. It started as a drunken bet with a mate that he couldn't hitch hike around Ireland with a fridge - so you can see it's right up my alley - totally daft. And my sister's house is the local Griswald house. She is so over the top that people stop and take pictures of it. Good for her, someone has to be mad enough I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just picked out next book for book club, the Vanishing... something. I will have to look up, but we will all need to buy because apparently the wait list is in the hundreds form the library! I'd love to see your sisters house!

      Delete
  2. I have some kids books in their old toy chest and found one that was mine as a kid..."The Night before Christmas", so last year I moved it with my Christmas decorations so I could put it out. I like how you have a collection of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more on a bookshelf as well-several Charlie Brown books, again the kids. I give away books to young children in the family and hope they have their good memories over the years.

      Delete
  3. I love your little collection of children's Christmas books, brings back such good memories. I don't send Christmas cards anymore, haven't in years. I meant to mention yesterday about what we are doing since your daughter wanted Chinese food on Christmas. We are getting it on Christmas eve for my daughter's birthday. I plan to order a little extra so we can just have leftovers on Christmas day. I'm going to make a big breakfast instead of the traditional dinner. Works for me to have the cooking done and over with early so I can just relax and enjoy the rest of the day with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might need to change the Cinese food to Christmas Eve, but that works too. I like the ide of doing brunch, and then just eating leftovers. Both hubs and I are taking time off during the week, and the youngest will be nursing her wisdom teeth removal, so not sure how much she will feel lik eeating.

      Delete
  4. My kids loved the smell of Christmas book! I forgot all about that. And, Christmas Vacation is one of our favorites as well. Oh, and Die Hard. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter bought my son the Die Hard "Night before Christmas" book. IT is hilarious!

      Delete
  5. I have never seen the Christmas smells book. It looks so sweet. We have so many books that my mother collected and I divided them up among my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters kids had it, and my son, even as a baby, would put his nose up to it when we were over there after Thanksgiving-which is why she got him his copy for his first b-day. It is a sweet book.

      Delete
  6. I used to have a collection of Christmas books. I've always been partial to "A Child's Christmas in Wales."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to add more to my list to either buy or give away. I'll look for that book.

      Delete
  7. I read The Night Before Christmas for a solid 10 or 11 months. My son had me read it over and over after he turned two in April and then heard it the next Christmas. Yes, we did read it in July and August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children have their favorites, don't they?

      Delete
  8. We are Christmas Vacation and Christmas with the Kranks fans.
    Every year I read A Christmas Carol and The Gift of the Magi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older daughter was in a play in middle school-based or vice versa on the Kranks. I think they called it No No Noel. I can see that happening with us some day-thinking all th ekis will be spread out and planning a trip, then learn they all decide to come home!

      Delete
  9. Oh I love your Christmas book collection! I have kept a few books that my kids and I enjoyed when they were little but I don’t think I kept any of the holiday books. Darn! I just got done reading Monogamy by Sue Miller. It was really good and very thought provoking. My sister read it at the same time and so we texted each other quite a bit about it and then when we were done a phone call to sum up our overall feelings about it. I would recommend it for a book club read if you haven’t read it yet. Tomorrow we will be going to a town about an hour away to drive through their light display they are doing rather than a parade this year. I’m looking forward to the drive and getting out of my own small world for a little bit. Thanks for another great post! ColoradoGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need to add to our book list to pick the February and MArch books, so I will suggest that book. There are several farms doing special things-I hope it work out for them.

      Delete
  10. I have a few Christmas books from my childhood. I love putting them out for the holiday. Next Saturday we plan to make hot chocolate and take a drive to see decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bring our thermos along with tea-great idea. I think the books make such nice decorations, plus, there they are for quick memory.

      Delete
  11. We hve watched Griswold lighting twice this year and I love it just as much every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole movie or just that scene? We have to wait to watch the movie until Christmas Eve in honor of our son.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I too get out favorite books from childhood and reread them at this time of year. The Eloise book is one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the book, something like Eloise at the ... some fancy hotel. Plaza perhaps?

      Delete
  13. Oh, The Sweet Smell of Christmas!! My kids had it and LOVED it. Our first grandchild was born in March this year, and I bought a copy for her, as well!! We all love that book.
    (As a reader above said, Monogamy is a great book!!) Fun post and comments! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on that first grandbaby. I know all mine will ge tthis book-it has to be in their collection.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.