Thursday, December 24, 2020

Thrifty Christmas Eve Thursday-Blogmas Day 24

Reader Joann's homemade wreath.
It's beautiful!


     For a wide variety of reasons, Christmas in a pandemic  has been a lot more thrifty for my family. One of the biggest savings has been not exchanging gifts in either DH's or my family. Even a  modest $25 gift can be a $250 expenses if I include what we and our adult children would spend. I saved a lot with no office gifts to my team, colleagues, and boss, though DH still bought a sizeable gift card for his, who gifted hm the equivalent to a local restaurant. The two of them are literally keeping their store from closing, and so the  quid pro quo gift exchange was about mutual appreciation. 

     For food and drinks, while I bought a little bit of "cheer", it's been nothing compared to what we normally would buy for my immediate family (with DS home), and to take to both extended family. Same with food. I can't imagine what my sister spends hosting Christmas Eve, as I know with just the appetizers and my contribution to the main meal, plus drinks, what I spend. Many of the nieces and nephews with their kids come and go open house style, maybe bringing along a bottle of wine or a cookie plate, but not food. When we are in full force, this at last count 77 people, but probably closer to 50 in the home at one time. That's a lot of ham, buns, meatballs, veggie trays, and mini-sausages.

     My guess is many other families, especially if large, are saving money in these ways as well. We didn't increase our spending in other areas so it has been a thrifty Christmas by my definition.I've had a couple swap outs for some expenses, like sending GrubHub to my son since we won't be taking him out, plus the meat, cheese and treats delivery. We're getting take out today, so that is different, but less than I would spend on the food that is brought to my sisters.

     A big money saver has been the lack of December Happy Hours with friends and work. We would be sure to be meeting friends this Saturday, a respite from all the family time. Trivia last night would have been a festive time, with snack trays and pizza along with our beer and seltzers. I plan when life resumes a little more normal and I can dine with colleagues, to treat my team for a lunch out, but that is looking like a pretty far distant future with working from home at least through June. Even then, likely we will also phase back having multiple people in the building at one time.
  
     Yes, it has been a different kind of Christmas for us all, financially as well as where we are spending our tie and resources. Here's a few of my top thriftiness for the week in time, resources, and money.
  • Several weeks back, reader Joann shared here homemade wreath. It is so beautiful and I appreciate her sharing it with me, so I can share with all of you. Seems a fitting gift for Christmas eve. 
  • With carryover from the 2019 flex account and because DH had to defer his colonoscopy, we had enough  to fully cover the out of pocket for DD2's wisdom teeth extraction. Home admin this week is getting that receipt, plus two others sent in so we have the reimbursement before the Visa bill comes in January
  • Since DD2 can't have rice for a while, I froze the remaining curry she wanted as her last meal. From what we read, any grainy items should be avoided for 7-10 days until the stitches dissolve, then she can better enjoy her favorite meal again.
  • Both the vegan butter and a vegan cream cheese were on sale at our local grocery store. I like to have things DD1 can enjoy when she comes over. I may freeze 1/2 the butter as even on sale, it is pricey and we won't use it that fast. I still have a stick from Thanksgiving. 
  • Even though not local, I sure appreciate being able to use the free shipping to his door for DS's gifts from Kohls. While the second and third  parts were delayed, he reported yesterday all successfully arrived. 
  • His gifts this way will not be here for Christmas as he shopped, even online, late. He typically he does his shopping on Christmas Eve morning, or day before depending on when he flies in. He transferred money to me to get his grandma a gift card, so thought that far ahead! 
  • Other than a few rolls of scotch tape and one square gift box for the bamboo knit socks for my MIL, I didn't buy any gift wrap, using what I had left from last year. I hadn't bought much then either, as the year before (after Christmas 2018) I got loads of all at half price or better. 
  • Both supper Tuesday night and lunch and supper yesterday were leftovers/fend for yourself meals, using up a lot of bits in the refrigerator. I froze one large cooked chicken breast as well, ready for a hotdish this weekend. 
  • Even though we are not exchanging gifts, I made loaves of pumpkin bread for DH's siblings family, our niece and her husband, and for the two  young men nephews. I used the five holiday loaf pans bought last year or year before on clearance, and at most have about $5 worth of ingredients in total. Our hometown bakery sells equivalent size loafs for $4.99 each. I even had enough batter for to mini loaves for DH and DD2.
  • For the 10 year old twin niece and nephew, I had clearanced stocking stuffers from last year I put in small gift bags. The other sibling from that family is our God son, so he got a traditional gift. The new baby got a holiday/winter pajamas ( bought on clearance but still adorable) and a couple $1 pop out animal board books. My kids loved the pop out books. 


     I'm going to give the house a power clean once everyone gets up (vacuum noise and cleaning bathrooms  clanging) before DD1 joins us for the day. DH needs to our gifts up to his mom's. We got an icy snowy mess-some accumulation and drifting though not the massive dump of snow. The scraping is going to be a pain not to mention the icy roads. It's going to be darn cold for the 9:30 PM  outside church service, but I'm guessing won't be more than 15 minutes. It will be nice to gather despite the cold. They've added two additional inside services as the ones originally scheduled filled up so fast, which puts a lot of extra work on the pastors, staff, and volunteers cleaning in between and I thank them all for that allowing those that feel they  need to be inside a church the opportunity to do so as safe as can be possible. 

      Our day will be spent with board games, watching a movie or two, opening  perhaps one gift, and food and relaxation until church.Then, home for some of that  mulled wine. How will you be spending today? However you do, I hope your able to connect in person, by phone, of online with those you love. 

Merry Christmas to All!

26 comments:

  1. Very pretty wreath. Every thing is indeed different this year. Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wreath! You did a great job with everything Sam. It's definitely been a very inexpensive Christmas for us this year. The only gifts that were purchased I bought with gift cards. I didn't do any of the usual baking or exchanging gifts with friends or extended family. The only expense this year is the food and drinks and even that's minimal compared to usual. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall, financially we did not take the hit that we anticipated this year, plus speeding was down except for groceries. I think this year taught us all what is most important and it is not presents but people.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous wreath! Our day will be spent at my parents house (looking forward to seeing the kids, after a brief break). They have been having a fabulous time biking, getting guitar lessons from my dad & baking with my mom. My mom described the time with the boys as the best gift she received, and we feel the same to get a mini break. Win/win :-)

    Our holidays are much more frugal this year. No skiing over New Years, no flying/car rental. We don't exchange adult gifts, so nothing saved there. But, less quantity of food we'd contribute to our family's gathering.

    I'd also just say that I normally gain around 4-5 lbs between Thanksgiving & NYs, due to all of the social outings. I've missed the social outings tremendously, but not the weight gain. I'm probably about even right now, and while I may eat too much a few specific days, I also have more time to work out & hopefully balance.

    We're making some big charitable donations to offset our savings, and adding our saved travel to our plans to take my parents to Hawaii in June (combo 70th birthday & 50th anniversary).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking your parents on a trip will be a really wonderful adventure. That's a great idea to invest in the experience after a year like this one. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas.

      Delete
  4. I am sitting here watching Tommy pout. He can pout since he plans to spoil every nice occasion. I will not buy any wrapping paper on clearance since I only used about two feet from one roll and there are at least a dozen here from past years. I wait until I find it a quarter or fifty cents a roll. The wreath is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't say what he is pouting about, but I hope you still have a pleasant day.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to your wandering photos!

      Delete
  6. Pretty wreath! Our Christmas is somewhat similar to previous years. The one thing my kids and husband are missing is the chance to go out for breakfasts. (Our restaurants c.losed again.) Youngest, however, called a local bakery to find their protocols--turns out they are open for ordering, and you can sit in the cafe area, you just can't eat there. DH will take him a bit later, as he received a gift card from his geometry teacher. Other than that, I'm, as in previous years, staying home and watching the candles burn--as well as watching "A Christmas Carol" with youngest. (Patrick Stewart version.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice that a little bit of their tradition with your DH can be done. Joann's wreath is so pretty-I love it and am happy she shared it with me.

      Delete
  7. Wishing you and the family a wonderful Xmas, Sam! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To you as well, Vix. I hope you and Jon had a great few days.

      Delete
  8. I know we saved money this Christmas because we just cut back and less to attend to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There re so many ways, sad ways, we saved money. No concerts, no hotel overnights to see our daughter at school and our canceled mini trip. But we have family, right!

      Delete
  9. I got a bit of shredded carrot from slaw mix in my tooth socket, a bit of cheese, and a bit of ground meat. Nothing is safe to eat it appears. But, they gave me three of the little things that look like a crooked plastic syringe to squirt water and clean the socket. Of course, I have not used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you should use it! No need to suffer.

      Delete
  10. Merry Christmas to you and family. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for posting my wreath and thank you all for the nice comments! I’m pretty proud of it! I worked 9-6:30 today but I’m home now before the snow hits tonight. We will be having a white Christmas, the first in quite awhile. We opened a few gifts and treats this evening and are watching Christmas movies. I’m sipping a Jamaican Me Happy spiked slushee. Not the most festive of drinks but it’s awfully tasty. While I cut back in certain areas, I definitely spent more on less people. I just wanted to spoil the people that are most important in our lives. I’m off the next three days and I can’t wait to relax and enjoy! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell, your wreath is a hit and I am happy to have the picture to share. I plan to put funds towards some good experiences when we can really be together with the people I love.

      Delete
  12. The wreath is lovely. Your baking looks so good! - my MIL always makes pumpkin bread at Christmas too. We've had a more frugal Christmas here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had messages that the bread was a hit. I hope your days were lovely.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.