Wednesday, December 23, 2020

My Christmas Cocktails-Blogmas Day 23


     Before we start talking holiday cocktails, I need my morning coffee. Here's the coffee blend DD1 gave me for my birthday, along with the mug I got last year from my niece. This is a perfect wake up moment. My daughter is a great enabler for my coffee habit-it's her thing to bring me when she travels and we love our coffee outings.  For those not familiar with Caribou, it is a Minnesota  original company, though I believe they were sold several years ago to an international company, which makes me sad. Their coffee though is some of my favorites, and I like their coffee houses sprinkled throughout  Minnesota and at least the nearby border towns. Maybe they are rebranded as something else. Some of you may not know that caribou and reindeer are the same animal, from the deer family. According to one site, reindeer is the term for domesticated and caribou when they are in the wild. I'm not sure I ever heard that before, but did know they were the same. Now on to cocktails.

     If I was a video maker, I could do a whole night of filming on cocktails. Instead, you're getting some staged photos as tonight will be cocktail night, along with some over the next few nights. My favorite festive drink is a Vodka Collins. I make a  simple version with lemonade, vodka of course, a splash of  cherry juice, and topped with a couple splashes of seltzer. I like to throw a slice of orange and cherry on top as well. Ideally, I should be making a simple syrup and lemon juice instead of a lemonade cheat. I may do that for Christmas day. It's just one part water to one part sugar, warmed through to completely dissolve all sugar granules. If I do this, I'll still cheat with bottled lemon juice.



     I may serve in the Gather Tumblers I bought last year on fall clearance, but maybe I'll use my party martini glasses. I got these for Christmas one year from my sister-in-law when I was in a phase where I thought having the girls or couples around for cocktails on a semi regular basis would be a good way to pump our social life. Well, we're all more a beer or glass of wine kind  of people, so these really have not been used much. I have two sets of four, as well as two sets of four margarita glasses. I used for a couple bridal showers over the years and were fun. If either of the girls ever decides they would like this type of bar ware, they might be better suited to go to their homes and I can down size. I do use one or two semi regularly for deck cocktails, even if it is just opening a can of the Bud'  arita's and pouring. 


     Last year DH received a gift bag of assorted mini bottles of spirits from a coworker. Had DS been here, we would have had a good tasting night. DH's brother  gave him a jar of some sort of moonshine and I think we still have both cinnamon and coffee in the liquor cupboard. It's vodka we run out of because that is what I mostly drink-but don't get me wrong, a bottle lasts a long time. We have the Trader Joe's Winter Punch to try, using the recipe on the side to make a sort of mulled wine. I can't wait to try that Christmas Eve when we come back from the outside service. I see there is both a tiny bottle of Fireball and Cinnamon Schnapps, so perhaps for DH and the girls who like apple cider. Most of it will probably just wait until next year, but if you have a last minute gift and you know the person does enjoy a drink on occasion, responsibly of course, it's sort of a fun idea. 



For Christmas morning I'm looking forward to mimosas-either traditional OJ or perhaps with cranberry juice. I also picked up some festive Cranberry Ginger Ale, a nice alternative, or a mixer too I guess. Last, I can't forget to share DH's Moose Mug, ready and waiting for a cold glass of eggnog. I'll pick as small a container as I can find today as he will be the only one to drink it, and not much,  along with fruit needed for Christmas morning with our cinnamon rolls, and the peppers I forgot for our roasted vegetable skewers. DH will drink it unspiked, but I will get a picture of him drinking from his mug. I've heard from a few of you in comments about special drinks you are serving. If anyone would like to share  or share again, I welcome your comments. 







15 comments:

  1. Gosh I haven't had a cocktail in years. Probably the last time I was travelling. So cheers (and I love that moose mug, by the way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moose mug of course is yet another Christmas Vacation reference. I love a good cocktail. We have some old fashion mixers as well.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a great assortment of drinks! I quit drinking booze 3 years ago this month (woo!) which I'm happy about. I do kind of miss the festive drinks, though - they are so fun! I like my coffee in the morning (I need two big mugs: one to be nice to L, one to be nice to other people, lol), and we always get a local brand. L likes his rum and coke, and occasionally a beer or two, so our booze bill is cheap.

    I love all your fun glassware - that moose cup is hysterical! - but yes, I have a million martini glasses that we haven't touched in a decade or more! So many specialty glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I sound like a lush, but we a really are social drinkers, though I like my relaxing wine. The moose mug is pretty darn funny. I keep my eye's out now for additional one.

      Delete
  3. I love the martini glasses. That is Lil sis's favorite drink. And the moose cup is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My martini's are probably not technically martinis-too weak, but in a festive glass, they can be whatever we call them.

      Delete
  4. Just about time for the festivities to begin! We will probably just be drinking beer tomorrow since we are a family of beer drinkers. It's mimosa for Christmas brunch and probably just beer again in the evening - but I do have a fully stocked bar if anyone wants anything else. Have a Merry Christmas Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even have beer in the the house right now- a few bottle of hard cider perhaps. I have so many other things and we are such a small group, we'll customize. I'll open wine for drinking and also for th emulled wine.

      Delete
  5. Well, being in Minnesota, I'm sure you have a blizzard blowing outside your window too. Blowing straight out of the north here and already whiteout conditions. I am grateful that we have a Caribou here, in our small town. I'm not a coffee snob, by any means, and only get Caribou occasionally. Recently tried Peet dark roast whole beans and have been enjoying that. My husband still has to drive 55 miles to get home in this weather, and won't be leaving for about 2 hours so I get to worry until I see him pull into the driveway. Ugh! Enjoy your drinks and stay safe - in every way. Merry Christmas. At least it will be a white one. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot - Baileys Irish Cream in the coffee is fantastic and will be part of our Christmas and eggnog with brandy is also one of our favorites, so will look forward to them this weekend. Do like your beverage vessels - I've been told the proper vessel improves the beverage experience.

      Delete
    2. I hope your husband got home safe. DH was out ana bout before it started-last minute shopping I'm sure. It looks like we have some accumulation and drifting, but not deep. It will be an icy mess. I love the idea of coffee cocktails, but I hate sweet coffee so that leaves me without the liquors or baileys.

      Delete
  6. Love the moose mug!
    We supposedly had reindeer chili on our Alaskan cruise a few years ago, tasty and not "gamey" at all. Poor Rudolph.
    No cocktail drinkers here, but your drinks and glassware are festive. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a rum and coke, or he likes the fruity drinks on cruise ships, and the occasional beer. I'm th ebigger drinker and that is not even that much so like to do the cocktails for holidays.

      Delete
  7. I may have seen Tommy drink four beers in 16 years. And, one bit of NYE champagne. I probably have had two ounces of champagne in all that time. So, drinking will not happen. I would love a Shirley Temple, but that is more sugar than I am will to eat/drink since I would rather have a brownie to eat.

    Tommy has to have coffee and day long and into evening! But, he drinks cheap stuff. I rarely have even a Coke now. Diabetes will do that to you--make you back off from favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make mocktails for the kids, but now they just will imbibe with me. No one seems to have more than two.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.