Thursday, December 17, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Cash for Christmas? Blogmas Day 17

 

Photo:Amazon.com

     For $13.99 you can get a set of 60 money cards-and envelopes. I'd never need that many, maybe over a decade, but I do give cash to each of my kids, plus this year to my 13 year old nephew, now way too hard to buy a gift for. He can put it towards ski or skateboard equipment out of our price range for gift giving, matched with other. While I feel cash is so impersonal, buying a gift that you are not sure about and has a high probability of languishing in a closet and eventually purged is a waste of time shopping, a resource, and hard earned money. 


     I added a paint by number canvas to his gift-something to do when not in school, as a recommendation from  other teens who have been doing these during  their increased stay at home time. I got him a scene that reminded me of the lake dock in the last summer. I used Amazon as no one local had them in stores-so I guess my intel was right. I got one for both my daughters as well, but they know I did, so can use pre-Christmas if they want.

The one I bought, but photo
from Amazon.com
      So besides to resorting to cash for some of my gift giving,  I had a few other  thrifty actions for the week in my tracked categories of time, resources, and money. 

  • Walgreens had a 50% off card discount code. I looked around a bit and found a 60% off code. The additional 10% saved me $12 more. 
  • While there, I was able to buy a few BOGO stocking stuffers, plus a couple of the bags of candy I use for treat making, not at great prices, but as low as they were elsewhere and saved me making another stop. 
  • Speaking of treats, the local store brand pretzel was priced well if you bought two. One bag was enough for Chex Mix, and Rolo pretzels, and the second bag will last a while for snacking with hummus or other dips.
  • Spent a lovely  hour and 1/2 with my girls driving to the farm then going through the light display. We made a food shelf cash donation and were thanked with milk and cookies and a couple useful kitchen gadget merch promoting the agriculture industry.
  • I saved gas money and valuable time by not making the 90 minute round trip while waiting for pup after his sedated grooming (not cheap but worth the price considering how horrific a full grooming would be). Oh, and I made a slightly less dent with my carbon footprint by not  making the additional round trip, the trifecta of thrift.
  • While saving the gas, I  bought a coffee with an old gift card and parked close enough to the building to use the WIFI at Starbucks and used my car as an office. Whie a bit gray, there was more than enough sun to keep the car comfortable. 
  • I may intentionally work from my car again! I got another handful of cards, the ones I hadn't found addresses for, completed and in the mail plus was able to listen to the Governor's press conference to learn the changes in Minnesota's latest Stay at Home order beginning Saturday. Plus, I was out of my lower level-during the day time.
  • Learned the turkey bacon from Aldi was a good buy. We like BLT's, but by the time the bacon cooks down, you ar elucky to get three descent sandwiches. From a same size package, we got twice as many. I cooked it all at once and refroze after DD2 had a sandwich for lunch last week, then we all had for lunch on Sunday, and she had a final one last night. It looked different, but had the good baconny taste in the sandwiches-definite win.
     Those were my wins for the week, and my little tilt to Blogmas. did anyone else order their cards through  a store with extra savings? Would you be lame enough to work from your car?


18 comments:

  1. I love paint by numbers. I think it is a great gift besides cash of course. Both my grandmoms used to give us each the largest bill in circulation every religious holiday i.e. twice a year. My sister and I looked forward to that. That was a good deal of money. Oh, to be a kid again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my nephew and kids won't be getting the largest bills (at least I think there are bigger bills than I would give) but enough to go towards something they want. My older daughter will probably put it towards purchases she already made for her house.

      Delete
  2. Working from the car is a great idea, using otherwise idle time to be productive. I give money for gifts too, not as fun but sometimes it's definitely better. Sounds like you definitely had lots of good thrifty wins this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The alternative to working was wasting a lot of time and resources driving backa nd forth-and I didnt know exactly when he would be done.

      Delete
  3. If I ever had a long drive I never minded sitting and waiting somewhere (even in my car) if I had a good book. That's just too far of a drive to do it twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had more than enough work even if I wouldn't have had WIFI access, so it was time well spent.

      Delete
  4. I would definitely be lame enough to work form the car. I have found a couple of times lately I have driven to a near by strip mall, parked and had a cup of coffee I made at home just to see something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my daughter. She just has a hard time staying home for more than a full day, so once she can drive again next week, she will be sure to be on little treks.

      Delete
  5. I think if working from your car works for you, then go for it! Make sure you get out and stretch every hour or so, though.

    Sounds like you're getting on top of your Christmas stuff, Sam! Turkey bacon is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably needed to do the stretching more often! I was really impressed with the quality of the bacon-made nice sandwiches.

      Delete
  6. I think working from a car is a wonderful idea. Why not? I mean if you need to go somewhere and wait, use the time. I never have sent out Christ mas cards.Never budgeted for the cards or the postage, or family pictures. I guess I won't start now. Maybe when I get older *snort* and I am just sending the kids a check....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cards were an expected thing in DHs family-sort of required and I got sucked into it! My mom only sent a few dozen out and I always helped her.

      Delete
  7. I used to really enjoy filling in a paint by numbers, what a great tip-off you received there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter's friend has done many since covid began! I hope they all enjoy.

      Delete
  8. I'm always early so I often do work in the car. Money for gifts- YES! Mom started it a few years before she died and I continue the practice. I asked the locals if they want checks or cash- haven't heard yet but I am going to a drive through bank later to get cash. It will be my first trip to one since March. I do buy the 2 youngest grands gifts but only specifically what my daughter has requested. Tomorrow I'm going to deliver a few goodies to porches of clients- Covid is rampant here in the group homes- and gift cards to a few. I can't believe Christmas is in a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mom and dad got more and more grandchildren, it was the traditional socks and money! The kids loved it, and as they got older, with so many, understood what financially it meant for my parents to gift so many people!

      Delete
  9. This year was my first time sending out cards in decades.
    I got mine at the discount rack at Uncle Albertsons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with the picture thing when my son was going on one, and just kept the habit. I suppose no one really cares that much, but I like them thi way too.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.