Thursday, December 3, 2020

Thrifty Thursday-Week of Holiday Thrift Blogmas Day 3

From Article in Money to avoid Holiday Debt

 I'm veering away a little bit from my regular Thrifty Thursday posts and looking at my holiday budget  including time, resources and money. For all of us, it is important to remember not to overextend ourselves during the holidays and it applies to all my thrift categories-time, resources, and money. How am I maximizing  funds, shopping small and local as much as possible, while admittedly, knowing that won't always be possible and deciding to be Ok with that.  I also continue my quest to reduce waste and find things to do with my time in this Stay at Home world that won't break the bank or  the couch with the weight of me being a potato. Here's my thrifty wins for the start of my family's holiday season.

Time

  • The four day weekend was some of the best time off I have had for a long while. While we had power cleaned and cooked for Thursday, Friday-Sunday was chill. Because most everyone I work with also took the time, I did not return on-line Monday with an overflowing mailbox.
  • My daughter and niece held their first Zoom board meeting for their  mental health and arts organization they are starting. Words can't express how proud I am of them both, knowing how much harder it will be  funding wise, but how much more it is needed, as the world emerges from the pandemic and the effects. 
  • It will be a slow process as I'm not rushing, but Christmas decorating has begun. The pumpkins are all put away making room for snowmen, santa's trees, and bells and I already shared my minimalist outside decorations. 
  • Bless his soul, DH tackled my little island cart. It was not as simple and straightforward, nothing seems to be, but I am very happy with it. He started before the Vikings football game, and finished after. I'm not sure it works in the center of the kitchen yet, but I have used it already as an additional  prep space for cooking. 



Resources

  • I'm happy to say we used pretty much every Thanksgiving meal item or tucked it in the freezer. We have pickles and olives left that I have been enjoying with lunch. I'll do a future Wednesday post on my Turkey culinary adventure. 
  • I salvaged a couple apples that I had found pushed to the back of the refrigerator, no longer great for biting into, but perfect for a quick microwave applesauce to go with pork chops on Monday.
  • I found a tine and two plastic treat storage containers to use for this years snacks, either to store or to give away filled. In my day after Christmas stock up I found I had purchased cardboard loaf pans, treat plates with cellophane, and cookie boxes. I'll use all these and not have to buy more. 
  • Last year when it was time to retue the fresh Christmas wreath, I took off the big red bow and the three large pine cones with berries afixed. I didn't know what I would use them for, but they went in with the garland and lights. I ende dup tucking them into the galrand on the side of the porch opposite where we hung this years wreath. I'll do the same now going forward as I think it looks quite festive and that will mean adding to the collection year to year, or as long as my nephews are in scouts and I buy a wreath from them. 
Money

  • I finally used a stockpile of the  $5 Target rewards earned to go towards a new tablet for my daughter. I already got a good deal by using Cyber Monday. 
  • DH was at the hardware store last Saturday and called me because he saw something he thought would be good for DD1. I quickly looked up online to see the brand and if it was a good value. We decided yes, and ended up getting it for her. It will tick all my thrifty boxes for her, but I'm not giving it away yet. 
  • My MIL wants for nothing, but occasionally there is a big purchase she will hold off getting if something needs replacing. We went together with DH's siblings and spouses on a new  patio table and chairs in the  pricey style she wanted. We all searched and my SIL found a good price. So even though our portion almost consumed what we had budgeted for her, at least it's not a gift that will linger in a closet. 
  • Not local, but the stores in town do not really have  my MIL's styles. I had a pop up add for Christopher and Banks and scored a sweater and two pairs of socks at ridiculously low cost, with free shipping. To top it off, I found a RetailMeNot for an additional 5% off. We wanted something besides our share of the table and chairs for her to unwrap from us. The big win-we are done with shopping for her! (The kids will get gifts as well for her).
  • I had a couple finds at Aldi on gifts for the girls-I guess that was a couple weeks back but adding in. Just like the hardware store, sometimes good finds ae in non-traditional places.
     I'll start wrapping gifts this weekend or as my final purchases come. With DS not coming and not getting together with other family members, it will be a scaled back Christmas. I want to get some items sent to him and I still have to decide what I am doing about Christmas cards as I have not bought or ordered them yet and its December 3rd. Those are weekend decisions. What about you? What wins for the week have you had? Are you spending more or less, if you celebrate Christmas, this year compared to other years? How are you scaling back in your plans?

20 comments:

  1. Love your new prep cart. We are venturing out tomorrow to finish our shopping. This weekend I will start my Christmas baking. I make a number of items that freeze well. Then make a couple of items that will be made fresh before I package up the treat boxes I give out. Also on the list for the weekend are my Christmas cards. I love sending and receiving them. The house and tree are decorated. I've scaled back some but have just enough to make it festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your plans all sound lovely. I am excited about making and giving away treats. It will be a little bit of normal and for friends and family.

      Delete
  2. I'm done with all of my shopping, & feeling good about what we purchased. We don't buy for many people, so it's usually a pretty straightforward list. We scaled back after the kids were born, and agreed on no buying for adults (we have a disabled aunt & always buy for her still). It works well & we do other fun family games instead of an adult exchange.

    We will be driving to our house in Oregon, then quarantining until the holidays. We'll spend a few days with my family, and then quarantine again when we are back. Luckily, there is almost nothing we do outside of the house, so the quarantine doesn't feel like much of a "change" from our day to day. It will be worth it to have the time with family. I'm not looking forward to the driving & we would normally fly. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming ht eboys soccer-even though limited, is even on pause while CA has a more restricted Stay at Home? I think just getting away anywhere sounds good so I think when we have a few days off, if DD2 is feeling up to it after her wisdom tooth removal, we'll go to the cabin, pick up take out, and just have a night away.

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was another winning week for you! I did a freezer and pantry inventory and then went to do a big stock up mostly on meats. I spent $228 but should be all set for the whole month other than another run or two for bread, milk and fresh veggies and the Chinese food we are getting on Christmas Eve. Christmas shopping was all done with a free $100 gift card for signing up for an Amazon Visa and I had an additional Amazon gift card I got from a friend for my birthday so I got myself a nice new much needed set of nonstick skillets and some new dishtowels. Haven't done any decorating yet but planning on minimal with that when I do get around to doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have to do Chinese on Christmas Eve instead of day, but I think that will be a win for my daughter. I'm trying to clean out what is in the freezer, and still need to decide what foods we'll eat the second half of th emonth, I don't think any big stock ups will happen, but use up and just small restocks. My soon got a nice large skillet four years ago form his cousin who had his name. Last year I got him a small one of the sma etpe, and then his grandma got he medium. He was thrilled with them as he does so much cooking and lives with two chefs!

      Delete
  4. I think it's lovely that you are all pitching in to buy your MIL something she really wants - and as you say, something that won't get stuffed at the back of a cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try an do that every year-some years is kind of silly that we split gifts three ways, but end up buying several things-we could have each just bought one of them, but it seems to work. She'll get use out of these for many, many years while she lives independently in her large town house.

      Delete
  5. There is no decorating yet, but the tree is out. I only want fairy lights. And, I have bought gifts for Tommy. Only my four grandchildren are left to buy for and mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better mail soon-I plan to get things to my son this weekend, though I won't actually mail-more ship form the store directly to him.

      Delete
  6. Our celebrations are always scaled back compared to most people's. One odd thing: Girl's mother rented a house, so Girl is living back with her and two older siblings. Expecting Girl to be with us on Christmas, I had purchased and wrapped all her gifts, just like my own kids. I will tuck them away...something tells me Girl will be returning before too long...while I'm glad she is with her mother, I sense the situation is chaotic, and don't hold out hope for stability. Financially, I am out a mattress, as Girl took the one of DD's bed, and we moved Girl's mattress, (bought when we moved here) to DD's bed, leaving me without a mattress in the guest room. I got a great deal on the same mattress at Macy's on Cyber Monday, though. Girl left hopefully knowing she is welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works out for her, but good that she knows she is welcome anytime back.I'd like to think my kids friends know we are always welcome to them. I feel bad for my well adult niece (mid 40's). She will not live without her two large dos, which make sit hard to have her join a household.

      Delete
  7. I like the idea of going together to get a nice gift. As one gets older you can only have so many bottles of perfume and gift soaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is particular about things like that anyway so if not on her list, I would never buy! I think she will like the sweater and socks-basic and can't go too wrong with either, even if just for cool nights at the lake.

      Delete
  8. I love your cart! I am scaling back on the types of things I give this year and I sincerely hope I get very little, if anything. I have inherited so many things from Mom's that I need/want/have room for nothing. Some coffee and something chocolate would be perfect since it is consumable and would leave no trace (except for the chocolate which would wind up on my butt)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter bought me fresh flowers, coffee, and a candle for my birthday-all consumables that were/willbe enjoed. She is a great giver of experiences for her grandma. I'm not sure what she'll com eup with this year. My son just gives her gift cards to her after church and Tuesday coffee and breakfast stop-he lives half a country away, so easy for him and at least they will be used, once restaurants open again. The big trip in 2018 was worth every penny and I'd rather anyone that gives me gifts knows experiences are mush more valued than things.

      Delete
  9. I like your rolling cart, Sam. Those are so handy to have for all kinds of projects. Speaking of using things up, I used up some oranges that were not good for eating and made juice out of them, which was delicious. Better to find a way to use these items up rather than waste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely in the want category, not need, but it is and already has been very practical. With no kitchen island, I had a weird triangulation to my kitchen prep and this has been a help. Well done on the oranges-can I say again that I hate waste!

      Delete
  10. I am glad to read you have a splendid 4 days and much too I enjoyed reading your goings-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The long Thanksgiving weekend was probably more relaxing than vacation as I didn't have 100's of e-mails and messages to respond to when back.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.