Wednesday, January 20, 2021

My Wednesday Pantry-New To Me Recipe

 


     I've been wanting to make enchiladas for a long time-not sure why I've never made them before as they would have been an economical dish when I had a houseful of kids. I used. I used both these recipes form Allrecipes.com for the Enchilada Sauce and the Bean and Cheese Enchiladas .The verdict-lukewarm-OK. For what they were, they had a really good taste, but were very beany-maybe next time I'll decrease the bean ratio by 1/3, add a full onion (I used the other half from my tuna salad). I might also mix only half (1/4 of the recipe) the cheese in with the beans. and layer the other 1/4 cheese on top of the beans to have more definition. I really liked the enchilada sauce and and using a $ .29 cent can of Aldi tomato sauce for the base, and chili powder, pepper, and cummin I had in my pantry, so cheap. The corn tortillas were 30 for I think $1.39 an dI only used 12. I'll admit, I just used a packet of taco  seasoning in he bean and cheese mix, which tasted good. As I said, the main complaint is the  amount of beans to cheese and tortilla ratio. Cost?

  • 12 Corn Tortillas  $.58
  • 2 Can beans $1.38
  • 2 cups cheese $1.65
  • Taco seasoning $.39
  • Tomato sauce  $ .29
  • 1/2 an onion $ .14
  • chili powder, cumin, flour, pepper-negligible, but let's say cumulative $ .50
     Total $4.83. I made the remains of a bag of rice with 1/3 stick of margarine, so another $ .40 for rice, with leftovers for the rice crust quiche I'm making tonight. $5.33 for two people, with enough leftovers for a second meal, so $2.67. I ate two and DH had four, but I think he had very little rice. I'll eat the leftovers for lunch today=Friday, along with the rice I don't need for the quiche crust. Now that I've made them, I can see it would be easy to mix up any filings inside-ground beef and bean, chicken and cheese etc. or add other vegetables.

     My daughter did her shopping while I did mine-keeping the high recommendation of one cart/one person in stores though we saved gas and had time together by going together. New readers may not know my daughter eats vegan, no animal products at all, and mostly does whole food cooking with little use of pre-made vegan products. She found a great deal on veggie meat patties, and ground mock beef, $2 off per package so she will have a bit less labor the next few weeks. Hummus was $2 a tub and hard to make for that price. This was a large haul for her, spending $55. She overall averages $30 per week for her H&G with occasional restocks that might  increase her yearly spending overall, but even then she is very efficient. I asked her to take a picture of her haul when she unpacked. She was planning on doing a meal prep day Sunday after I dropped her off. If she had any new recipes, I'll ask her to share them with pictures. I'll keep looking for new things to try this winter as I have been in a rut. I've got a spare 18 corn tortillas in my freezer so if you have ideas or recipes to use them up, please share. Edit: I've corrected both my daughters shop and average spending. Dang, that girl is  even thriftier than I first typed and healthy!

My daughter's Aldi haul.

22 comments:

  1. Enchiladas are yet another thing that my son and I would eat but husband and daughter wouldn’t. Sigh, yours sound yummy though. I see a lot of familiar things in your daughter’s haul-I love that roasted red pepper hummus, just made some overnight oats before bed last night and I think their salsa is the best for the price that you pay. I’m in a meal rut too but daughter suggested homemade Taco Bell Crunchwrap supremes and individual homemade pizzas. We might do the pizzas Saturday. Her boyfriend (who I’ve pretty much adopted as my third child after a year and a half, in case you couldn’t tell!) has never made pizza at home, so they want to have them soon. The tacos will go in next weeks menu. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone posted on the Aldi Nerds homemade crunch wraps and since I have both corn and flour tortillas, might give that a try soon.It is hard to make meals when people eat or are wiling to eat only certain foods. We've always been homemade pizza people-such an easy things to whip up.

      Delete
  2. No one in my family except Bill likes beans (other than in chili) however chicken enchiladas are a staple in my menu planning. I make them at least 1x a month. Super easy and cheap to make. I love seeing others'grocery hauls and I often get inspiration from others meals. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make chicken next time and serve beans on the side.

      Delete
  3. My sis makes delicious chicken enchiladas. I use corn tortillas to make a healthy chip for Salsa or nachos- I just quarter them, spray with a little olive oil and bake 10 minutes or so- watch though as they burn easily! You cans season as you wish. I did some prepping this AM and shredded 2 heads of cabbage and sliced some bok choi. One shredded head of cabbage went into the freezer- I had never froze it before but found several directions on doing it. Tomorrow I'm making a big pot of black bean soup. I wish i had some sour cream but i'm not going out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter makes her chips that way. I might make tostado's as well with the leftovers, or as a few have suggested, chicken enchiladas might be more a hit.

      Delete
  4. It is nice that you tried something new and now know how to alter it to fit your taste. I think recipes are just a suggestion anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost made with one can as in my head was thinking this is so much bean! It probably would have been fine adn a better ratio.

      Delete
  5. I used to make enchiladas when my kids were growing up, definitely economical. My daughter is vegetarian, she is super thrifty too. I just did a restock this morning on fresh fruits, tons of veggies, and grabbed things that were BoGo that I use. I'm at $300 for the month. I won't have to go again this month and my freezer and pantry are well stocked for next month too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing really well. I would be too wihtout the Trader Joe's run!

      Delete
  6. I love chicken enchiladas. We tend to make them with a green sauce in our family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get gifted tomatillos again, I might make salsa verde and greens sauce. I will be giving chicken enchiladas a try.

      Delete
  7. It's been ages since I had Mexican food, there's a few stalls at festivals and we often do trade-offs swapping vintage for a few dinners! You dinner looks good, I like the sound of being heavy on beans! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably really enjoy this meal, and I would guess easily get three meals out of it for you and Jon. My husband is a big eater so he ate four while I had two, which with rice, was plenty.

      Delete
  8. I make creamy enchiladas using The Prudent Homemaker's recipe. The only one Hubby will eat with white sauce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds right up my ally as well. I will need to look. I am fortunate in that even if not a favorite, I can't think of anything my husband will not eat-except Indian food perhaps. The smell is off putting for him, but I think he would enjoy if he tried.

      Delete
  9. Your daughter may be vegan but I suspect you taught her well on budgeting/thrift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I did a bit, but because she cooks how she does, and avoids processed foods, her shopping is naturally lower. She has a few splurges like the met alternative, and soyrizo, and tempe. She uses sparingly though but mostly sticks to her chilis, rice and bean dishes, dahls and currys.

      Delete
  10. living in AZ we continually have Mexican food it is our staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some really terrific restaurants both in town and of course the broader metro area. I love it.

      Delete
  11. Isn't it nice to see what great kids you raised?

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.