Friday, February 26, 2021

Friday W's-A Whole Lot of Thoughts

 

     Happy last Friday of February 2021! 2/12ths of the way through the year practically, and  2021 seems to want to compete with the former year in  knocking the world around a bit. We're all hearty though-right! We can hold on, support each other, and keep moving towards the collective  prize of a more managed virus, or at least a more managed response, so that the pause button can be  turned off. On Fridays I like ot capture the little snippetts of my life, at this point, mostly a whole lot of thinking and not so much doing, but please come along if you'd like. 

What's top of mind: I've got a couple things top of mind. One is the launch of the Minnesota Vaccination Connector where  residents can register and be notified as they reach the priority area for the vaccine roll-outs. It doesn't take the place of other means, like through health care provider, particularly if over 65, a first responder or educator, but it's a way to help  at least create some order. I got DH connected as well as sent to all my family. We both opted into the "short notice" vaccine option, should there be extra's at a local location, we could both get there quickly. 

I'm still following the weather related crisis in Texas, and the ridiculous nature of the privatized grid. How the heck is anyone supposed to come up with thousands overnight for their utility bills? I appreciate the bloggers from that area giving real life updates. I also am filled with hope by stories of fellow human beings sharing their resources, skills, and getting through the crisis together. The government should be supporting the infrastructure and getting resources to  resolve the systemic issues, but as what usually happens, people help each other.

Where I've been: It was almost like a vacation getting out and about last weekend! We were wet and cold once home, but I felt invigorated. I kept my distance from others, as I was nursing the tail end of the cold, and I wanted to give a sort of quarantine away from others just in case it was more than a cold. 

Where I'm going: My daughter signed us up for an outdoor hike at a nature center for tomorrow night. If the weather stays warms, it could be slushy, maybe even muddy walk, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to talk DH into a road trip on Sunday. Well, not really, but a drive of some sort, and maybe get a take out treat and a change of scenery. 

What I'm watching: I watched a couple movies in the past week. One was a surprise, called Fishermen's Friends, based on real events of a group of Fishermen from Port Isaac (the real Port Wen of Doc Martin fame) who got a recording contract for singing sea shanties. It was sweet. I also watched a sad movie, Five Days in Maine, about  a recently widowed young man, visiting his wife's estranged mother, and how they both were processing their grief. It didn't really have an ending-the movie just sort of ended with no resolution, but I guess that is what grief is. I have not been able to watch the Stanley Tucci's Italy, but I'm not sure why. I hope it replays so I can catch up. 

What I'm reading:  I'll start and finish my book club book, Such a Fun Age, this weekend after picking it up at the library on Tuesday. I also ordered a few retirement planning books-both on planning money, but also mindset and lifestyle change. Have you read any of these?

What I'm listening to:  I'm currently streaming the public radio news, and the sad and awful abuse of US gymnasts by their team physician and coach who ignored and looked the other way. Now, with his suicide, they do not even get to have justice. It sickens me. Another news story is the news that there is some retroactive unemployment benefit change.

What I'm eating: I didn't yet try the LA Cookbook inspired lettuce-chicken wraps and fruit and pepper salsa, but have all the ingredient. Saturday perhaps? I had successful French bread, and  a loaf to go with spaghetti bolognese tonight or Sunday. The lasagna was successful and we had the leftovers last night, plus some leftover taco fillings-with enough for my lunch today. With a new month on Monday, I'll do a major shop early with restock and a general meal plan. I have no challenge for March, but would like to stay to the paper budget of $400 groceries, and $100 household etc. or $500 or less total. 


Who I'm paying attention to: This week I'm not tuned into anyone in particular other than my own family. DH's family had another  legal proceeding with the on going uncle and cabin saga, that supposedly will be resolved next week. Yeah, they've been hearing that for two years. 

What I'm planning:  I'm still plotting out little possible trips, and do have NOLA on my mind for next fall. Once the cabin saga  moves forward, and we get a calendar made for the extra cabin, we hope to plan a weekend with our friends that we were supposed to go to Vegas  with back in November. It will be a while before I feel comfortable flying. I know I am on the conservative side of precautions for Covid, where others are jetting off to Mexico, who still is letting selfish Americans cross the border that "deserve" their fun in the sun time. (Yes, I said it and my blog, so my opinion. I don't consider myself  a sheep or afraid of living, but I'd like to not get sick.)

      That's my W's for the week. We are getting closer to spring, and that makes me happy as does the later and later sunset. Play along and share the What's of your life. 

23 comments:

  1. I think it's great your daughter signed you up for an outdoor hike. Getting wet and muddy doesn't really matter as long as you have a change of clothes for when you get back to the car. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought something was off on the date-it's next month she has us singe dup, but we are still going to do a moonlight walk anyway. Yes-dry clothes will be waiting for us.

      Delete
  2. "I'm still following the weather related crisis in Texas, and the ridiculous nature of the privatized grid. How the heck is anyone supposed to come up with thousands overnight for their utility bills?"
    They want capitalism and deregulation in Texas, but wait, not THAT kind. Grrrr....Texas is rapidly becoming a "purple" state. I'm hoping that this nonsense will open the eyes of the voters in the Lone Star State. Also, so nice to see President Biden release relief with no question...unlike the former president did with the New England states in the light of the hurricane, because, you know, they didn't vote for him. How very presidential, no?
    I'm starting to worry, however, in light of CPAC, that we are only beginning to see the depths of depravity he is bringing to the Republican party. I don't even think President Reagan would recognize the GOP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will always be baffled. Who saw this guy and though, "great presidential material" prior to 2016, and then after four years of your appropriate word, depravity, still support him. what is wrong with this picture?

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed your W's! Sounds like you are making the best of things and have some things to look forward to.
    Nothing much exciting happening here. We haven't been anywhere. Dh sent up his drone so I could see the trees covered in ice last weekend, and that was beautiful. We almost signed up for a cruise to Alaska next year to celebrate with my brother his retirement, but missed out on the cheap rates. Will be notified if rates go down again as it would be fun to take a family cruise.
    Watched Book of Life on Disney+ which was cute. Enjoying Wanda vision too, but I am a marvel fan.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mt daughters college had some absolutely gorgeous aerial shots of her campus on FB and Instagram. that sounds o fun to have a drone!

      Delete
  4. We were able to sign up for a similar "notify" service in CA. They've announced teachers next week (hurrah!) & two weeks after that will be medically at risk people in other buckets. I'm not sure if they'll announce yet another tier for health conditions (lupus, for example, is not in the first medical bucket) before moving to the general public. Fingers crossed that we're there before June.

    For what's happening, I finally found a summer camp for the kids (tennis, which everyone wants now) & got excited, registered, & two days later they cancelled. I'm a real planner, and COVID has put so many wrinkles in my planning. I guess that's my sign to be more adaptable. :-)

    Otherwise, we are planning an outdoor date/dinner on Saturday, & then thinking of a weekend getaway in April, as my parents are getting their second vaccine next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising they would cancel Tennis. Interesting idea, but would you consider partnering maybe with a couple families and maybe hiring a high school or college kid from a high level tennis team for a little mini club? I think there could be some entrepreneurial opportunities for older high school and college students, in small groups. Just a thought.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good week for you, Sam. I agree with Meg, it's nice to see President Biden release relief with no question. He reminds me of FDR so much. I'm hoping this will bring great relief and we can get this pandemic business behind us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I type things out, take a step back, I realize overall I have a good life, stay at home or not. I'm tempted to pop on the Fox New site, but then all I read is nonsense and it is awful for my mental health.

      Delete
  6. I’m hesitant to even post because I don’t have much to say but here I am anyway! My dad ended up not going to his vaccine appointment because of the damn snow. A dusting turned into five inches at his house and he’s just not comfortable driving in snow anymore. My husband and I both were working and couldn’t drive him. My brother is never any help when you need him. So we are back to square one with that. I’m so disappointed, disheartened, frustrated that it was so close and now so far. I had half a strawberry cheesecake and an 800 mg ibuprofen for dinner last night, while I job searched online. I’m looking forward to February being over, not that March changes anything. My only excitement for the week was picking up a fire hall fish fry for dinner tonight. It was delicious and a ton of food for $10. We had one unseasonably warm day on Wednesday and most of the snow has melted. That’s about it. Just another week. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry Joann. I know you were hoping to get more time with him safely. Hopefully it can be rescheduled soon. It sounds like work is no better, so good luck job hunting. I'm sure we'll get fish when daughter is home.

      Delete
  7. I so agree with you on the selfish Americans. that would fit Lil sis to a tee. Love her to death but she is very selfish in some ways. She is very much like my mother. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if photos on social media are a clue, she's got a lot of company. Here my extended family with the coffee house went-all of them. I guess they don't think the health measures matter, but we're all supposed to feel bad that their restaurant is 1/2 capacity? But they're the new mega Christians so it's all good. They'll just be at their rock concert church thanking God for keeping them safe on their travels while behind their back they have middle fingers up at their fellow neighbor's staying home trying to mitigate the spread of the virus.I'm not very full of grace this week for selfishness.

      Delete
    2. I should say, it is a figurative middle finger-basically, a feel sorry for us because our business is hurting but not hurting so much that we'll pause on a vacation and risk bring back the wretched virus to anyone we come in contact with for the next few weeks.

      Delete
  8. Once you get to looking & reading about retirement, there is a lot out there. Chicken & biscuits casserole is on my menu for the weekend. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to post the titles I checked out. There is a lot out there. I am finally truing the recipe I wanted to try earlier in the week tonight-a chicken lettuce wrap with fruit and pepper salsa.

      Delete
  9. Hello Sam, You seem to be well-connected with the world considering covid and February. Although when I was in Cleveland I was in the woods year round, if you are taking nature walks in February, sugaring season must seem downright tropical to you.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you mention sugaring season. My daughter and I are watching the various nature centers, parks, and I think there is an opportunity to participate in tapping trees in the coming weeks. Than k you for the reminder to see if we can get a slot. With the pup, I had to get out on daily walks even in the double digit below 0 weather-he still loved it, but his little feet forced me to take him in before he wanted. He's a happy pup now that we are out everyday for an hour at least.

      Delete
  10. I think all your observations are absolutely correct. People are selfish. Christians lead the pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My faith in humans has been challenged this last year.

      Delete
  11. I will keep my Ws going next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.